Muslim flight attendant filing suit for being put on administrative leave

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Right, but as Boonito pointed out, they an't if there are too many to accommodate. In a setting with only 5 people are on, just two accommodations are going to overload them. Even just one could.

The corner store by me has two employees on at night. And they get breaks. So no one buys alcohol while the non-Muslim is on break?
It's up to courts to decide if an accommodation is reasonable or not. They'd have to look at industry standards about the number of employees on duty at one time.

Reactions: 2 people
Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
For the life of me, I don't know why there'd be special irritation reserved for that situation.
It would be the same for a Christian, in case you are wondering about that.

Anyone just making shit up to get an accommodation would irritate me.

True accommodations do not.

We had a room we only used for meetings, and sometimes people would go in there on break, but not often and there was nothing helpful about the room FOR breaks, besides being ALONE (a separate room held fridge, tables, etc. to facillitate lunches and snacks)

A Muslim wanted the room at certain times ALONE for prayer - fine and dandy with everyone. No one was inconvenienced by refraining from going into that room for however many minutes he was there.

And I'm sure if other people of any faith wanted to pray also they'd have let us.

Reactions: 1 person

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
On principle, it would irritate me that a made-up thing is getting an accommodation. However, as a customer, if I were no more inconvenienced than I am when a clerk under 21 is trading off, I would say nothing but thank you have a great day to both of them.
I would hope my irritation level wouldn't be tied to the reasons behind the action but instead solely on how it impacts me. I'm not in that situation right now though so hard to say for sure, I guess. Plus, I'm not so quick to dismiss the request for accommodation as made-up. Just because I don't believe something doesn't mean I require someone else to not believe it too.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
It's up to courts to decide if an accommodation is reasonable or not. They'd have to look at industry standards about the number of employees on duty at one time.
Exactly. Reasonable accommodation is a good idea but it's got to be decided on a case-by-case basis because there is no blanket solution for all situations.

Reactions: 1 person

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
These threads always make me think of the Family Guy bit.

"Steinberg, take that hat off in my classroom!"

Snikitz

Former Staff
Mar 2011
Split between Minnesota and New Orleans
[MENTION=7710]Snikitz[/MENTION] actually posted that he wanted to bitch slap a woman in one of his first posts here. Seemed rather comfortable making the statement too, like he did it every day. I believe it was because she dared hold a differing opinion from his.
Ah Panzareta, if you are going to mention me - tell the entire story or don't mention me at all - do you understand me?

Incidentally I had been on here a year of more before Benghazi occurred.

I was referring to someone needing to slap some sense into Hillary Clinton because the woman is an arrogant self-aggrandizing incompetent two faced lying scum bag responsible for the needless death of a number of people under her authority in Benghazi.

I don't think Trump would be much of a president, but I would rather see that guy in the white house over that clown Clinton.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
I don't think you'd be arguing the same side of this if you weren't wanting to seem consistent with your position on Kim Davis.
That's really reaching. Have you ever seen me argue against someone's freedom of religion, in a reasonable situation? No, you haven't. Of course, I don't support extremes like cutting babies open on the alter but if someone has a religious belief that can be reasonably achieved, why shouldn't we? After all, it is the law.