7. Ohio State
8. Wisconsin
9. Florida
10. Penn State

Honorable Mention:
California, Iowa, Kansas State

Jun 2014
United States
After 4 weeks, quality wins are starting to outweigh preseason predictions in my top 5. LSU's win over Texas was, in my opinion, better than either of Auburn's two quality wins, but Auburn now has two. Georgia's win over Notre Dame gave them a slight bump.

I think that Texas and Oregon are probably the two best one loss teams out there, but they'll have to work their way back into the rankings. There are too many undefeated teams remaining for a one loss team to be in the top 10 this early in the season.

I still expect Oklahoma and Ohio State to challenge for a top 4 slot in the long run, but neither team has yet faced a quality opponent. This will work itself out as the SEC and B1G go through the process of elimination in conference play.

Jul 2014
midwest
Next weekends matchups:

Ohio State at Nebraska ABC night game

Virginia at Notre Dame

Washington St at Utah

Those are the best I saw, which is not saying much.

But there will be some good games and upsets somewhere...

Jun 2014
United States
Next weekends matchups:

Ohio State at Nebraska ABC night game

Virginia at Notre Dame

Washington St at Utah

Those are the best I saw, which is not saying much.

But there will be some good games and upsets somewhere...

I agree. No big games next week, so only upsets could make it very interesting.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Two games that were fun to watch yesterday were Washington State beating UCLA 35-17 and then UCLA beating Washington State 50-28.

Jul 2013
U.S.A.
At the start of the season who would've put money on the Pac-12's last undefeated team being Cal?

Nobody, that's who.

Okay, so that conference is out of the running for the playoff, almost certainly. Just for fun, let's suppose that Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State all run the table and finish undefeated. Suppose further that both LSU and Georgia have one loss apiece -- both to Alabama. Suppose even further that Wisconsin has only one loss -- to Ohio State in the Big 10 Championship game. I imagine the unbeaten teams go to the playoff in that scenario. But the howling from Wisconsin and especially from LSU and Georgia fans would be intense, no? And if either LSU or Georgia bump OU or tOSU...? The uproar from everyone not in SEC land would be fierce.

There's a long way to go, of course. But it seems as if this year might be shaping up as one in which the arguments for expanding the playoff take on even more urgency. We'll see.

Cheers!

Reactions: NightSwimmer
Jun 2014
United States
At the start of the season who would've put money on the Pac-12's last undefeated team being Cal?

Nobody, that's who.

Okay, so that conference is out of the running for the playoff, almost certainly. Just for fun, let's suppose that Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State all run the table and finish undefeated. Suppose further that both LSU and Georgia have one loss apiece -- both to Alabama. Suppose even further that Wisconsin has only one loss -- to Ohio State in the Big 10 Championship game. I imagine the unbeaten teams go to the playoff in that scenario. But the howling from Wisconsin and especially from LSU and Georgia fans would be intense, no? And if either LSU or Georgia bump OU or tOSU...? The uproar from everyone not in SEC land would be fierce.

There's a long way to go, of course. But it seems as if this year might be shaping up as one in which the arguments for expanding the playoff take on even more urgency. We'll see.

Cheers!

There are several interesting possibilities. In your scenario, I suspect that the unbeaten teams would be seeded. That's what I'd do. I think that it would be difficult for any team to get in after their last game was a loss in a conference championship. It would have to have been an exceedingly close game. I think it would be easier for a 1 loss team to get in over an undefeated P5 conference team if their loss had come early in the season, and they'd won some big games since their loss occurred.

It would be interesting if none of the P5 conference champs ends up undefeated. If Clemson loses a game at this point, I think they'd be out. They could have survived losing to A&M, but they don't have any more quality games on their regular season schedule.

Reactions: Havelock
Jul 2014
midwest
Two games that were fun to watch yesterday were Washington State beating UCLA 35-17 and then UCLA beating Washington State 50-28.
And, the Wash State QB threw 9 TD passes and lost...

When was the last time THAT happened?

Recent Similar Discussions Forum Date
Sports
Sports
Sports
Sports