My friend - Longtime Boise resident Bill Buckner dies at 69

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Just found out. I ran into Bill at a Boise State football game season before last and knew something wasn't right. Though we'd been to several happy hours and dinners with mutual friends, I could tell he didn't remember me. and then I heard about the dementia shortly after. Sad ... RIP :(

One of Major League Baseball’s most under-appreciated players in his prime, Bill Buckner died Monday at 69 in his hometown of Vallejo, California.​
Buckner, who played in 2,517 games from 1969 to 1990 for five teams, enjoyed post-retirement life in Boise, where he was a fixture in the baseball scene, even serving as the Boise Hawks’ hitting coach in 2012 and 2013.​
According to ESPN’s Jeremy Schaap, Buckner had been battling Lewy body dementia. Buckner was married and had three children, including Bobby Buckner, who played baseball at Boise High. Some of the practice facilities for Boise High at Fort Boise are named for Bill.​
Buckner, who played in 2,517 games from 1969 to 1990 for five teams, enjoyed post-retirement life in Boise, where he was a fixture in the baseball scene, even serving as the Boise Hawks’ hitting coach in 2012 and 2013.​
According to ESPN’s Jeremy Schaap, Buckner had been battling Lewy body dementia. Buckner was married and had three children, including Bobby Buckner, who played baseball at Boise High. Some of the practice facilities for Boise High at Fort Boise are named for Bill.​
Though Buckner was an All-Star in 1981 and won the National League batting title in 1980, he is known by most for his error in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series playing for the Red Sox. It allowed the Mets to score the winning run, then New York won Game 7, stretching Boston’s World Series drought to 78 years. He moved West in part because of all the negative comments he’d hear, but in 2008 threw out the opening pitch for the home opener, a game in which they unveiled their 2007 World Series championship banner.​
In his major league career, Buckner batted .289, had 2,715 hits, drove in 1,208 runs, and scored 1,077 with 174 home runs and 183 stolen bases. He played for the Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Royals and Angels. In Boise, he owned large home near Table Rock that he put up for sale in 2013 for $1.7 million. He was the minority owner of a car dealership in Emmett that closed in December 2008. Buckner also was a supporter of Boise State athletics, owning football season tickets and often seen at basketball games.​

Read more here: Baseball All-Star, longtime Boise resident Bill Buckner dies at 69

The subject of one of the worst errors in MLB history didn't EVER come up. All in all, he had a GREAT career!

Reactions: ripskater and raj
May 2013
N Oregon Coast
You are right about one thing.

He will always be known for that one infamous moment...

Game 6.

RIP BB!
Yeah - We weren't what I would call "close" but we shared a lot of laughs and he did call me one time for incentive/motivation/promotional ideas when he worked as a hitting coach for our minor league team - The Boise Hawks.

Buckner was an All-Star in 1981. In his major league career, Buckner batted .289, had 2,715 hits, drove in 1,208 runs, and scored 1,077 with 174 home runs and 183 stolen bases.

Not bad ^ Not bad at all! :)

Jul 2014
midwest
Yeah - We weren't what I would call "close" but we shared a lot of laughs and he did call me one time for incentive/motivation/promotional ideas when he worked as a hitting coach for our minor league team - The Boise Hawks.

Buckner was an All-Star in 1981. In his major league career, Buckner batted .289, had 2,715 hits, drove in 1,208 runs, and scored 1,077 with 174 home runs and 183 stolen bases.

Not bad ^ Not bad at all! :)
Not HOF numbers but very good.

But, he'll STILL be remembered for that one play.

I think I heard that Boston fans eventually forgave him.

Hope that's true...

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Met Bill Buckner twice in my life. As a lifelong Red Sox fan it was a very cool experience. He was a favorite even before he played for them. Big, strong, power hitter.

RIP, sir.

Last edited:
May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Not HOF numbers but very good.

But, he'll STILL be remembered for that one play...
Yep - That's why he ultimately moved to Boise. Everyone here remembered the FUBAR but NOBODY brought it up.

He honestly deserves to be remembered for everything else he did, including some pretty sweet philanthropy here at BSU.

Jul 2014
midwest
Yep - That's why he ultimately moved to Boise. Everyone here remembered the FUBAR but NOBODY brought it up.

He honestly deserves to be remembered for everything else he did, including some pretty sweet philanthropy here at BSU.
Hope he had a happy retirement.

He wasn't as far away from Boston as he could get...but fairly close to it.

Reactions: BoiseBo
May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Met Bill Buckner twice in my life. As a lifelong Red Sox fan it was a very cool experience. He was a favorite.

RIP, sir.
I had the fortunate experience of attending a Sox game at Fenway during a corporate sales meeting.

Big Poppy hit a homer over the Green Monster to win the game. You could literally SMELL the history!

Reactions: boontito

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I had the fortunate experience of attending a Sox game at Fenway during a corporate sales meeting.

Big Poppy hit a homer over the Green Monster to win the game. You could literally SMELL the history!

Now you're just making me jealous.

Reactions: BoiseBo
May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Now you're just making me jealous.
Oh man, it was so dang cool. They'd always put us up at the Courtyard Copley Square which was a sweet locale.

NSM met us over there, we stopped for adult beverages and it wasn't much more than a 10 minute walk from hotel.

You walk in and smell all the food vendors - MANY dogs, burgers & beers were consumed and we had GREAT seats!

Pretty sure it was Big Poppy's next to last year - But I could be wrong. Brain cells died that day from an excitement overload and a super-cute 20 something fainting smack dab in my lap after the (I think 8th?) inning homer.

I lost track after that :)

Reactions: boontito