My new reform plan will drain Democratic and Republican ethics swamp: Sen. Ben Sasse

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri
My new reform plan will drain Democratic and Republican ethics swamp: Sen. Ben Sasse

Despite promises to drain the swamp from both sides, Washington is filled with greed. It's time to clean this mess up. No more looking the other way.

In 2016, Republicans promised to “drain the swamp.” Two years later, not only is the swamp still here — it's gotten swampier.

It's time to drain the swamp once-and-for-all
It’s time to drain the swamp — for real. Today I’m introducing a series of bills that will help do just that.

Here’s what you’ll see:

We’re going to prohibit Cabinet members and their immediate family from soliciting donations from foreign sources. If you hold one of the highest and most sensitive positions in the executive branch, there should not be any question about who you’re working for. There should not be any temptation to exploit your office for financial gain. No more Clintons using high office to line their own pockets.

We’re going to require that presidential and vice-presidential candidates’ tax returns are disclosed. In 2016, Donald Trump became the first major party nominee in modern American history not to release his tax returns. He spent the campaign claiming he was going to release them, and then the moment he was elected he declared that “nobody cares” and moved on. Every presidential nominee prior to 2016 understood that voters deserve basic information about the financial situation of their potential chief executive. We’re going to make sure they can get it.

Read the rest here.

Sen. Sasse lists five proposals aimed at "draining the swamp." I think he's on the right track. I don't expect they'll gain much traction, but I applaud his effort.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Sounds good, but I have my doubts about it going anywhere.

What I'd like to see stopped also is the hiring of friends and family to "work" on campaigns. Or at least put a limit on the amount they can receive and how many can be hired.

Jun 2014
United States
Sen. Sasse lists five proposals aimed at "draining the swamp." I think he's on the right track. I don't expect they'll gain much traction, but I applaud his effort.

We don't need five proposals. We just need to get the Trump crime family out of the White House.

Republicans put them there and I see no reason to trust Republicans to fix a problem that they created to begin with.

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri
We don't need five proposals. We just need to get the Trump crime family out of the White House.

Republicans put them there and I see no reason to trust Republicans to fix a problem that they created to begin with.
Between you and Sen. Sasse, which one of you voted for Trump?

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri
I didn't. I voted against him, unlike your Republican self.

You don't like labels because you are ashamed of the label that applies to you. That's a personal problem, in my opinion.
Rrrr, hsss. Getting personal?

Which of Sasse’s proposals do you disagree with? And why?

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

Despite promises to drain the swamp from both sides, Washington is filled with greed. It's time to clean this mess up. No more looking the other way.

In 2016, Republicans promised to “drain the swamp.” Two years later, not only is the swamp still here — it's gotten swampier.

It's time to drain the swamp once-and-for-all
It’s time to drain the swamp — for real. Today I’m introducing a series of bills that will help do just that.

Here’s what you’ll see:

We’re going to prohibit Cabinet members and their immediate family from soliciting donations from foreign sources. If you hold one of the highest and most sensitive positions in the executive branch, there should not be any question about who you’re working for. There should not be any temptation to exploit your office for financial gain. No more Clintons using high office to line their own pockets.

We’re going to require that presidential and vice-presidential candidates’ tax returns are disclosed. In 2016, Donald Trump became the first major party nominee in modern American history not to release his tax returns. He spent the campaign claiming he was going to release them, and then the moment he was elected he declared that “nobody cares” and moved on. Every presidential nominee prior to 2016 understood that voters deserve basic information about the financial situation of their potential chief executive. We’re going to make sure they can get it.

Read the rest here.

Do like Ben Sasse. Seems very genuine. Interesting list.

Am curious about the item forcing the release of tax returns. The IRS is in charge of monitoring/auditing tax returns. And with large and/or complex tax returns an audit is very likely.

Strikes me the biggest value that comes from publicizing tax returns is typically as fodder for the opposition party to use in political campaigns.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Sounds good, but I have my doubts about it going anywhere.

What I'd like to see stopped also is the hiring of friends and family to "work" on campaigns. Or at least put a limit on the amount they can receive and how many can be hired.
Really don't see any issue with friends/family getting involved with campaigns. Not sure what your concern is there.

Do have a big problem with family getting hired to positions of power after someone is elected. Confess i thought there were already rules/laws against such practice.