My thoughts, on the New Zealand thing, etc...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Great article in one of our major Canadian newspapers:

The appalling terror attacks in Christchurch, New Zealand, are, of course, first and foremost a human tragedy. Forty-nine people are known to be dead at press time, nearly as many are injured, many critically.

Disgustingly, the attackers streamed their murderous acts live to the internet via social media. Innocent Muslim men, women and children, peacefully practicing their faith in their houses of worship when the attacks began, are not just victims. Their deaths were made a spectacle, their mosque was turned into a theatre for horror.

The attack is all the more shocking for its location. New Zealand is a typically safe country, welcoming to newcomers and proud of its liberty. New Zealanders are more than our allies, they are our democratic kin, our fellows in freedom. Their pain could easily be our own. That’s why we feel it, too, as they would for us.

Canada has known this pain. The New Zealand attack, carried about by what early reports suggest was an Islamophobic white nationalist, is not just a larger-scale but similar attack to the massacre in a Quebec City mosque in 2017, but it seems to have been directly inspired by it. It is also evocative of the anti-Semitic massacre at a synagogue in Pittsburgh last year.

It is becoming a vile trend. Yet we must expect more such attacks. While much of the public still seems convinced that religiously fundamentalist terrorism or mentally unstable lone crazies are the only major public safety threats to the West, our intelligence and police agencies are under no such illusions. Extreme right-wing nationalism, often infused with white supremacy, is on the rise, and has been flagged by Canadian authorities as a growing threat. Just months ago, the RCMP told the Toronto Star that while right-wing extremists were generally more a matter of criminal interest than of national security, they were becoming observably emboldened. The same is generally true across the Western world.

Though there will always be tragic exceptions, the West has mostly effectively confronted and helped minimize the threat posed by the reactionary Islamist terrorists of al-Qaida and ISIL. There’s no reason we can’t be as successful against the reactionary threat emerging from the extreme right. It’s time for the public to realize that that fight is already joined. It’s one we need to win.
NP View: Horror in New Zealand underscores murderous new threat to the West

I've been thinking about all of this. Makes me realise a number of things.

First and foremost - that Western far right are cowards by nature. Much worse than, for instance, similar sort of guys in Russia.

Russia has tons of such racists and Islamophobes.

Plenty of them grow up, since boyhood, in a kind of neo Nazi, Slav nationalist subculture, especially in the poorer neighbourhoods and towns; there are whole schools there where everyone greets each other with the raised right hand...

As they grow older, most of such boys realise their passion to fight against Muslims and "dark" people in various ways.

Some go into organised crime, join the Slavic mafia groups, in order to wage war against various Muslim ethnic gangs for territory and influence on the streets

Others, on other hand, go into police paramilitary groups, in order to get deployed to anti-terrorism and pacifying missions in Northern Caucasus, in Dagestan and such, where they also get to kill and brutalise Muslim "dark" minority people

Others yet join the mercenary groups like Wagner (because regular military no longer takes such trash, they have better standards these days lol) to get sent to Syria, where they guard captured rebels in the special camps where they are held, etc

(and plenty also get to fight in actual battles too; either way, another excellent opportunity for them to torture and kill folks who don't look like them and worship a different God...)

What you do NOT see any of them doing, however, to their credit, in my eyes, is going to some mosque in Moscow or St. Petersburg, to shoot up innocent local people. Even Nazis over there have a code, you don't touch women and kids.

Even skinhead gangs over there do not generally go after "non-combatants", so to speak (i.e. again, females, young kids, or elderly); they only attack males of fighting age, generally; and antiFA groups attack them in return, as in this vid, where the three skinheads in Moscow were going to attack the black African student you see in the end; but antifascists ambushed them before they could
:D Brings back memories, that, I used to be involved in such shit as a teenager over there, not long before leaving for Canada haha

Anyway, those like that guy in New Zealand, or our own Alexandre Bissonette, who shot up the mosque in Quebec, and those like them, here in the West, they are much, much worse, in my eyes. If they wanted to fight Muslims so damn much, go to Middle East or Africa, form own militia or mercenary group and take up arms against ISIS, al Qaeda, al Shabab, the Saudis, the Iranians, tons of potential adversaries for you over there, go ahead.

But, no, that's too fucking scary, those ones will shoot back, they can kill you. No, he'd rather go after some people who are unarmed and WON'T return fire at him... :mad:

I've come to some conclusions and personal resolutions over all of this now.

There are some folks, within my own circle, whom I used to tolerate, mainly - certain fellow Russian emigres I met here, in Toronto and became friends with; who support Trump, and support groups here in Canada who support those kinds of politics and that kind of cowardly and hateful ideology. As I said, I used to just roll my eyes on it and kinda ignore it, most of the time.

Not any more.

I am going to purge this shit from my life. I already, today, refused to invite a dude to my house any longer (who used to hang out here every damn weekend), because I don't want to see that fucking red hat he goes around in. I don't want to see that. It is an insult to my brown Latin wife, to my mixed race children, and, by extension, an insult to me, as well. He can say all he wants that he has no problem with my family. I don't give a shit, he is no longer welcome in my house. My wife never said anything openly to me, I guess she did not want to talk bad about my friends or whatever. But, I know she did not like him and his hat either. So, he is out of here. That's it.

I am done being tolerant. When that whole shit in Christchurch went down, I actually was taking our five year old to have his teeth checked out. Dentist is a guy originally from Bangladesh, we met in high school here in Canada, by coincidence he later moved out here to Toronto also to pursue his dental practice. When he heard what was happening over there, you should have seen his face...

Nobody should feel unsafe here in Canada. Nobody. Certainly not for no other reason than their religion.

Unfortunately, we have the leader of our Conservative Party pandering to the far right freaks for votes, and he can't even properly condemn the terrorist attack:
Scheer Condemns ‘Vile’ N.Z. Attack While Skirting Around Islamophobia
Scheer criticized after New Zealand mosque attack statement neglects to mention the word ‘Muslim’
Scheer issues second statement on New Zealand attack after backlash | The Star

We have allowed this filth to come to Ottawa and openly speak their vile message on the steps of our Parliament!
Convoy mixes with white nationalists and delivers toxic message to Ottawa

:mad:

Well, not me. I will challenge anyone who engages in that sort of rhetoric around me. Any employee in my company whom I see wearing one of those idiotic hats, or those yellow vests, or spewing anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim, or any such bs online, will be out of his job by next morning.

And, frankly, maybe I ought to renew my handgun licence at work, and start to carry again, and be ready to fucking engage any "white nationalist" asshole who has a problem with me and my family...

They don't want to be tolerant. We shouldn't either. Bring it the fuck on...

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
I am going to purge this shit from my life. I already, today, refused to invite a dude to my house any longer (who used to hang out here every damn weekend), because I don't want to see that fucking red hat he goes around in. I don't want to see that. It is an insult to my brown Latin wife, to my mixed race children, and, by extension, an insult to me, as well. He can say all he wants that he has no problem with my family. I don't give a shit, he is no longer welcome in my house. My wife never said anything openly to me, I guess she did not want to talk bad about my friends or whatever. But, I know she did not like him and his hat either. So, he is out of here. That's it.
What did you tell him as to why he is no longer welcome to be around your family?

Last edited:

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Did you tell him why he is no longer welcome to be around your family?
Sure. If he wants to keep being welcome here, I don't want you to see that fucking hat again. I was perfectly clear about that. Wasn't a good deal for him. Too bad. My wife, again, thanked me for it, he always did make her uncomfortable...

Like I said, I am just done being nice. Time to be proactive. If nothing else, I'll get involved more in the Russian speaking diaspora here, which is huge and deeply infiltrated by politics sympathetic to Conservative Party of Canada, as well as to Trump, yes. Lots of homophobia; suspicion and bigotry against people of other races, especially blacks; etc.

Someone has to step up to rally opposition to this shit. I am no political leader, no great orator, etc. But, I will be happy to contribute my own time and financial and other resources :)

I've already made up my mind on this. Meeting with some folks tomorrow about it. We are gonna fight back, to change our own community, as a start :)

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Great article in one of our major Canadian newspapers:

NP View: Horror in New Zealand underscores murderous new threat to the West

I've been thinking about all of this. Makes me realise a number of things.

First and foremost - that Western far right are cowards by nature. Much worse than, for instance, similar sort of guys in Russia.

Russia has tons of such racists and Islamophobes.

Plenty of them grow up, since boyhood, in a kind of neo Nazi, Slav nationalist subculture, especially in the poorer neighbourhoods and towns; there are whole schools there where everyone greets each other with the raised right hand...

As they grow older, most of such boys realise their passion to fight against Muslims and "dark" people in various ways.

Some go into organised crime, join the Slavic mafia groups, in order to wage war against various Muslim ethnic gangs for territory and influence on the streets

Others, on other hand, go into police paramilitary groups, in order to get deployed to anti-terrorism and pacifying missions in Northern Caucasus, in Dagestan and such, where they also get to kill and brutalise Muslim "dark" minority people

Others yet join the mercenary groups like Wagner (because regular military no longer takes such trash, they have better standards these days lol) to get sent to Syria, where they guard captured rebels in the special camps where they are held, etc

(and plenty also get to fight in actual battles too; either way, another excellent opportunity for them to torture and kill folks who don't look like them and worship a different God...)

What you do NOT see any of them doing, however, to their credit, in my eyes, is going to some mosque in Moscow or St. Petersburg, to shoot up innocent local people. Even Nazis over there have a code, you don't touch women and kids.

Even skinhead gangs over there do not generally go after "non-combatants", so to speak (i.e. again, females, young kids, or elderly); they only attack males of fighting age, generally; and antiFA groups attack them in return, as in this vid, where the three skinheads in Moscow were going to attack the black African student you see in the end; but antifascists ambushed them before they could
:D Brings back memories, that, I used to be involved in such shit as a teenager over there, not long before leaving for Canada haha

Anyway, those like that guy in New Zealand, or our own Alexandre Bissonette, who shot up the mosque in Quebec, and those like them, here in the West, they are much, much worse, in my eyes. If they wanted to fight Muslims so damn much, go to Middle East or Africa, form own militia or mercenary group and take up arms against ISIS, al Qaeda, al Shabab, the Saudis, the Iranians, tons of potential adversaries for you over there, go ahead.

But, no, that's too fucking scary, those ones will shoot back, they can kill you. No, he'd rather go after some people who are unarmed and WON'T return fire at him... :mad:

I've come to some conclusions and personal resolutions over all of this now.

There are some folks, within my own circle, whom I used to tolerate, mainly - certain fellow Russian emigres I met here, in Toronto and became friends with; who support Trump, and support groups here in Canada who support those kinds of politics and that kind of cowardly and hateful ideology. As I said, I used to just roll my eyes on it and kinda ignore it, most of the time.

Not any more.

I am done being tolerant. When that whole shit in Christchurch went down, I actually was taking our five year old to have his teeth checked out. Dentist is a guy originally from Bangladesh, we met in high school here in Canada, by coincidence he later moved out here to Toronto also to pursue his dental practice. When he heard what was happening over there, you should have seen his face...

Nobody should feel unsafe here in Canada. Nobody. Certainly not for no other reason than their religion.

Unfortunately, we have the leader of our Conservative Party pandering to the far right freaks for votes, and he can't even properly condemn the terrorist attack:
Scheer Condemns ‘Vile’ N.Z. Attack While Skirting Around Islamophobia
Scheer criticized after New Zealand mosque attack statement neglects to mention the word ‘Muslim’
Scheer issues second statement on New Zealand attack after backlash | The Star

We have allowed this filth to come to Ottawa and openly speak their vile message on the steps of our Parliament!
Convoy mixes with white nationalists and delivers toxic message to Ottawa

:mad:

Well, not me. I will challenge anyone who engages in that sort of rhetoric around me. Any employee in my company whom I see wearing one of those idiotic hats, or those yellow vests, or spewing anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim, or any such bs online, will be out of his job by next morning.

And, frankly, maybe I ought to renew my handgun licence at work, and start to carry again, and be ready to fucking engage any "white nationalist" asshole who has a problem with me and my family...

They don't want to be tolerant. We shouldn't either. Bring it the fuck on...
Yeah that was kind of my reaction too. Especially the part about thinking immediately about how my wife is an immigrant and my kids are mixed race. I could have written that the same as you did.

But I don't have anyone in my life who has been drawn into this stuff. I don't have "that uncle" or "that friend". West Coast easy going I guess. Or I just never let that stuff around me in the first place. So nothing to purge.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I've already made up my mind on this. Meeting with some folks tomorrow about it. We are gonna fight back, to change our own community, as a start :)
Wait, you mean fight back verbally, right?

I don't need to be looking at Slavic oc association charts at work and wondering which one is you, right?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Wait, you mean fight back verbally, right?

I don't need to be looking at Slavic oc association charts at work and wondering which one is you, right?
Only peacefully, politically, yes, don't worry lol

It's just... We need different voices, man, badly, the whole Russian speaking community in Canada. If you read Russian language newspapers in this country, you would see some truly fucked up, vile shit being openly written. Like, when they were doing the whole LGBT curriculum thing in schools here in Ontario, and all the Russians (among others, off course) thought the schools were trying to turn their kids gay... My God...

It was seriously embarrassing to read that shit, in Canada, in 21st century. I was thanking God nobody outside the diaspora would read it, on account of language barrier lol

We need to start a new, better newspaper. At the very least...

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Only peacefully, politically, yes, don't worry lol

It's just... We need different voices, man, badly, the whole Russian speaking community in Canada. If you read Russian language newspapers in this country, you would see some truly fucked up, vile shit being openly written. Like, when they were doing the whole LGBT curriculum thing in schools here in Ontario, and all the Russians (among others, off course) thought the schools were trying to turn their kids gay... My God...

It was seriously embarrassing to read that shit, in Canada, in 21st century. I was thanking God nobody outside the diaspora would read it, on account of language barrier lol

We need to start a new, better newspaper. At the very least...
There was no shortage of that amongst my Anglo associates in Ottawa. "Ahhhh! A bunch of convicted child molesters are trying to groom our kids through sex ed classes. Quick, only voting for Rob Ford's less moral brother can save us".

It seems to me like theres some issues that people latch onto which are more important to them than reality. Or their own dignity. Can be their religion, their union, their country, their race, their culture, their family, their cross fit, their online incel buddies.... Whatever. They actually support that thing so strongly that they'll wilfully turn off their brains. It's like "I will sacrifice anything for this cause. Anything. Even my own brain"

If you have any success in persuading people away from that. Please share.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
There was no shortage of that amongst my Anglo associates in Ottawa. "Ahhhh! A bunch of convicted child molesters are trying to groom our kids through sex ed classes. Quick, only voting for Rob Ford's less moral brother can save us".

It seems to me like theres some issues that people latch onto which are more important to them than reality. Or their own dignity. Can be their religion, their union, their country, their race, their culture, their family, their cross fit, their online incel buddies.... Whatever. They actually support that thing so strongly that they'll wilfully turn off their brains. It's like "I will sacrifice anything for this cause. Anything. Even my own brain"

History proves that. Look how often over millennia that has happened. We often look back and think "how did anyone let that happen?" Yet it did. We almost never ever learn from history.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

I don't have so much hope either... lol

But, one can't just sit there, knowing what goes on, and just ignore it and do nothing... That's how Putin managed to stay in power for two decades already, back there, because nobody wanted to do anything about it...

Hell, plenty of idiots even who live here now think that system is great, and would support someone like Putin over here too. That's what scares me the most...

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Someone has to step up to rally opposition to this shit. I am no political leader, no great orator, etc.
You can learn public speaking through Toastmasters International. They have plenty of clubs in Toronto, just in the city alone. TI is all over the place. I don't have time for membership anymore - never got past "Competent Toastmaster" for that reason (the first level of achievement) - but it's a great place to learn; because everyone is there for the same reason, everyone contributes to everyone else's success.