Nancy Pelosi clashes with fellow dems over impeachment

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I really dont envy her, she is in a tough spot here.

House Democratic leaders sparred internally on Monday over whether to begin an impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump, with Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her allies rejecting the call to move forward for now, according to multiple sources.

Reps. David Cicilline of Rhode Island, Jamie Raskin of Maryland and Joe Neguse of Colorado — all members of Democratic leadership — pushed to begin impeachment proceedings during a leadership meeting in Pelosi's office, said the sources. Pelosi and Reps. Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut, Ben Ray Luján of New Mexico, Hakeem Jeffries of New York and Cheri Bustos of Illinois — some of her key allies — rejected their calls, saying Democrats' message is being drowned out by the fight over possibly impeaching Trump.

Raskin — a former law professor — said he wasn't advocating impeaching Trump but suggested that opening an impeachment inquiry would strengthen their legal position while allowing Democrats to move forward with their legislative agenda. And in a Democratic Steering and Policy Committee meeting, Rep. Steve Cohen of Tennessee stood up and demanded Trump's impeachment. Pelosi then countered, "This is not about politics, it's about what's best for the American people," said a member who attended the meeting.

While Pelosi and her top Democrats argue that a majority of House Democrats don't want to impeach Trump, she is under growing pressure from some of her most hard-line members to move more forcefully against the president.

Pelosi clashes with fellow Dems in closed-door debate on impeachment

Jul 2014
midwest
I really dont envy her, she is in a tough spot here.

House Democratic leaders sparred internally on Monday over whether to begin an impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump, with Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her allies rejecting the call to move forward for now, according to multiple sources.

Reps. David Cicilline of Rhode Island, Jamie Raskin of Maryland and Joe Neguse of Colorado — all members of Democratic leadership — pushed to begin impeachment proceedings during a leadership meeting in Pelosi's office, said the sources. Pelosi and Reps. Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut, Ben Ray Luján of New Mexico, Hakeem Jeffries of New York and Cheri Bustos of Illinois — some of her key allies — rejected their calls, saying Democrats' message is being drowned out by the fight over possibly impeaching Trump.

Raskin — a former law professor — said he wasn't advocating impeaching Trump but suggested that opening an impeachment inquiry would strengthen their legal position while allowing Democrats to move forward with their legislative agenda. And in a Democratic Steering and Policy Committee meeting, Rep. Steve Cohen of Tennessee stood up and demanded Trump's impeachment. Pelosi then countered, "This is not about politics, it's about what's best for the American people," said a member who attended the meeting.

While Pelosi and her top Democrats argue that a majority of House Democrats don't want to impeach Trump, she is under growing pressure from some of her most hard-line members to move more forcefully against the president.

Pelosi clashes with fellow Dems in closed-door debate on impeachment
She knew the job was dangerous when she took it.

But, you're right, she has an impossible situation to try and keep under control.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I've been advocating for some time for an impeachment inquiry. It would bring to light all of the evidence against Trump. Most people don't pay that much attention and are fairly ignorant of the ways in which Trump has obstructed justice and is profiting personally from the office of the president. Most people wouldn't like what they'd learn. I'm fairly certain that if people understood what he's done and why it all makes him unfit for office they'd pressure the Senate into indicting him. Until the impeachment inquiry of Nixon most people didn't realize what Nixon had done and what it all meant. Without the impeachment process playing out for people to see Nixon may well have gotten away with what he did.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I've been advocating for some time for an impeachment inquiry. It would bring to light all of the evidence against Trump. Most people don't pay that much attention and are fairly ignorant of the ways in which Trump has obstructed justice and is profiting personally from the office of the president. Most people wouldn't like what they'd learn. I'm fairly certain that if people understood what he's done and why it all makes him unfit for office they'd pressure the Senate into indicting him. Until the impeachment inquiry of Nixon most people didn't realize what Nixon had done and what it all meant. Without the impeachment process playing out for people to see Nixon may well have gotten away with what he did.
Pelosi is in an impossible situation. She knows at this point the senate wont convict but she also know with 23 candidates running in 2020, they need to get the media on their side. An impeachment is going to suck all the coverage to Trump and he is going to play victim. Impeachment helped Clinton in 1996 and she doesnt want that for Trump. On the other hand if this was a D president and an R congress, they would already been impeached.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Pelosi is in an impossible situation. She knows at this point the senate wont convict but she also know with 23 candidates running in 2020, they need to get the media on their side. An impeachment is going to suck all the coverage to Trump and he is going to play victim. Impeachment helped Clinton in 1996 and she doesnt want that for Trump. On the other hand if this was a D president and an R congress, they would already been impeached.
I really don't think there is a comparison to Clinton. During the impeachment process the American people saw that Clinton didn't do anything that required impeachment. They saw that it was purely political on the part of Republicans. I'm saying that an impeachment process in the case of Trump would have the opposite effect. Yeah, it might take a lot of attention off of the presidential candidates, but if Trump is allowed to get away with the things he's done, we might as well kiss this republic good-bye. I know it's easy for me to say, but I wish Pelosi would look at it that way instead of worrying about the Democrats electoral chances. Waiting and hoping a Democrat beats Trump on election day is very dangerous.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Ideally, the investigations should begin and impeachment decided on by this summer. Because nobody is going to want to spend 2020 with impeachment hearings on the tv and news 24/7. So while Pelosi is backing off for now, she does have to decide fairly soon what route she will take. Trump is running out the clock here.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Ideally, the investigations should begin and impeachment decided on by this summer. Because nobody is going to want to spend 2020 with impeachment hearings on the tv and news 24/7. So while Pelosi is backing off for now, she does have to decide fairly soon what route she will take. Trump is running out the clock here.
That's exactly his game and he's winning, sorry to say.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I really don't think there is a comparison to Clinton. During the impeachment process the American people saw that Clinton didn't do anything that required impeachment. They saw that it was purely political on the part of Republicans. I'm saying that an impeachment process in the case of Trump would have the opposite effect. Yeah, it might take a lot of attention off of the presidential candidates, but if Trump is allowed to get away with the things he's done, we might as well kiss this republic good-bye. I know it's easy for me to say, but I wish Pelosi would look at it that way instead of worrying about the Democrats electoral chances. Waiting and hoping a Democrat beats Trump on election day is very dangerous.
Clinton had a likeable personality which I think helped him a lot. Trump doesnt. But it is dangerous because the voters keep reiterating that healthcare is the most important thing and they want to know for 2020 where the candidates stand. So it is dangerous to not pay attention to that. Also we have to realize that those who plan on voting for Trump or those that wont have already made up their minds. Its those in the middle who have yet to decide which could upend 2020. I still think we are going to see a lot of third party runs in 2020 and that is going to screw up things.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
That's exactly his game and he's winning, sorry to say.
He essentially is moving on. His first official campaign rally was last night. So he is out campaigning. The more left leaning media is very focused on Trump not their own candidates. I find that troubling in the sense that those left voters already know they arent voting for Trump but desire info for 2020. Their coverage is too Trump heavy for their audience.