National Guard Needed To Protect Alabama County From Fatal Interest Rate Swaps

Mar 2007
[quote name='michaelr' date='05 August 2009 - 01:37 PM' timestamp='1249497441' post='343']

National Guard Needed To Protect Alabama County From Fatal Interest Rate Swaps

So the state lost its taxpayers money gambling, and now they want to bring in the military to protect themselves. Only in America can we see something of this nature. In a proper world these so called officials should hang their heads in shame and resign.

[/quote]

No it is much deeper and complicated and it is Jefferson county not the state. The city council, a very stupid one, went into a sewer and water bond deal, a very stupid one, and then didn't manage it correctly and got taken and now owe a BUNCH of money and they want the state to bail them out. They need to raise their sewer and water rates but the people that live there refuse to do it. The rest of the state is saying why should we bail you out, you are still the largest and richest county in the state and it was YOUR government that got YOU in this mess.

May 2007
Whether or not it is the state or a county is irrelevant, dont these idiots know what comes with that. The role of the military is to kill people and break things not policing of ordinary citizens.

Also isnt this a bailout of sorts, since the state denied their original bailout now they are going to bail them out with the military running day to day business (being the police).

This is setting a dangerous precedent, things are getting out of control with a quickness. Now granted I know it is the National Guard its not like the Marines or Delta are running things but hey if the citizens (slave) get out of control will they be called in next?

Mar 2007
[quote name='Chad750' date='05 August 2009 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1249505983' post='422']

Whether or not it is the state or a county is irrelevant, dont these idiots know what comes with that. The role of the military is to kill people and break things not policing of ordinary citizens.[/quote]

The role of the national guard IS to step in and protect the citizenry when local officials cannot do so.

Also isnt this a bailout of sorts, since the state denied their original bailout now they are going to bail them out with the military running day to day business (being the police).

Except this IS a role of state government.

This is setting a dangerous precedent

It sets nothing the NG has always filed such a role.

The local government there is a total joke and has completely broken down and cannot get anything done and used extremely bad judgment in how they handled this. And it is going to cost LOTS of money to pay off the bonds they signed into, much more than it had to because of the politcal infighting and the fact several have gone to jail.

Don't you just love government?

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
This county, CA and other states are showing what some have been saying for a while. A collapse is all but imminent, and I have stated that the collapse will be the need for martial law. Now the Guard is not your daddy's Guard, it has been federalized, so yes these are federal troops on the streets, and this is just the beginning.

Mar 2007
[quote name='michaelr' date='05 August 2009 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1249512173' post='458']

This county, CA and other states are showing what some have been saying for a while. A collapse is all but imminent[/quote]

This collapse was NOT imminent. This was because of a bunch of stupid politicians more interested in their own egos and not capable of running a county or a city. They got taken by a bond deal and then were to concerned with their own political powers to come to a deal a long time ago to settle the debt or raise rates to pay it off.

, and I have stated that the collapse will be the need for martial law. Now the Guard is not your daddy's Guard, it has been federalized, so yes these are federal troops on the streets, and this is just the beginning.

Nope, if they go they go under the orders of the Governor.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
[quote name='Stinger' date='05 August 2009 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1249514605' post='469']

This collapse was NOT imminent. This was because of a bunch of stupid politicians more interested in their own egos and not capable of running a county or a city. They got taken by a bond deal and then were to concerned with their own political powers to come to a deal a long time ago to settle the debt or raise rates to pay it off.[/quote]

The same derivatives that caused this county problems is indicative of the real reason behind the collapse, what the gov is doing is handing out what is left.

Nope, if they go they go under the orders of the Governor.
It doesn't matter, they are federalized and i do believe the governor needs federal approval.

Mar 2007
[quote name='michaelr' date='05 August 2009 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1249514909' post='470']

The same derivatives that caused this county problems is indicative of the real reason behind the collapse, what the gov is doing is handing out what is left.[/quote]

Yeah but this goes beyond just that.

It doesn't matter, they are federalized

No they aren't they are under the command of the Governor, Obama has not federalized them and I bet he wants nothing to do with this. It's in the governors lap.

"Riley previously refused to declare a state of emergency in Jefferson County, which has about 640,000 residents and includes the state's largest city, Birmingham. But he hasn't ruled out sending in Guard members or state troopers if needed."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090804/ap_on_re_us/us_alabama_county_crisis_1

May 2007
Yes the national guard is for the use of the state however as we have seen with the many wars we have been involved in they are used at the discretion of the feds as they see fit.

Now what is going to happen when the people start rioting, and we have social breakdown in the future? that is my question. Now I served in the Marines and I would like to think that our own troops would not abuse their own people but most people have been so dumbed down that I do not no if the majority would see anything wrong with incarcerating or god for bid killing their own countrymen.

It has happened before in the 60's remember Kent State, we could see that happen again except on a larger scale.

Mar 2007
[quote name='Chad750' date='05 August 2009 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1249519994' post='512']

Yes the national guard is for the use of the state however as we have seen with the many wars we have been involved in they are used at the discretion of the feds as they see fit.[/quote]

In everywar we have ever fought the National Guard has been called up, what is your point?

Now what is going to happen when the people start rioting, and we have social breakdown in the future? that is my question.

Well since that has nothing to do with this topic............this isn't about putting down a riot and they are not being Federalized.