Navy secretary strongly considering resigning over Trump's meddling in SEAL case

May 2019
West Haven
Name the secretary that was not a veteran
I have no idea if there ever has been one. I don't care if there ever has been one. The LAW requires that the Secretary of the Navy be a civilian. That doesn't mean he was never in the military. It means that he isn't currently in the military, and hasn't been for the 5 years prior.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
I have no idea if there ever has been one. I don't care if there ever has been one. The LAW requires that the Secretary of the Navy be a civilian. That doesn't mean he was never in the military. It means that he isn't currently in the military, and hasn't been for the 5 years prior.
The law is that he has to be 5 years retired from active service. But he's still not elected, and is likely steeped in navy culture and traditions. You're splitting hairs here. The guy is a military man through and through. Which is fine. It wouldn't make much sense to appoint someone unfamiliar with the Navy to head it up. But the ultimate decision should still be left up to the President - who is accountable to the people. Military policy should not be left up to the military. The people have the final say.

So the argument that we should just do what ever the Secretary of the Navy says is a bad one.

Apr 2012
It would be stupid to have one that knows nothing about the military. If they are veterans they are still military by most standards

May 2019
West Haven
It would be stupid to have one that knows nothing about the military. If they are veterans they are still military by most standards
I don't disagree other than by most standards military is active military. Veterans are veterans.
And wouldn't it be great if we applied the same standard to government. Wouldn't it be great to have a governmental leader who actually knows something about the government?

• Love
Reactions: the bull59
Apr 2012
I don't disagree other than by most standards military is active military. Veterans are veterans.
And wouldn't it be great if we applied the same standard to government. Wouldn't it be great to have a governmental leader who actually knows something about the government?
It would be better to put term limits on congress