NC mayor praises 10-year-old who took knee during pledge of allegiance at city council meeting

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
The mayor of Durham, N.C., praised a 10-year-old Cub Scout who kneeled during the national anthem at a city council meeting, saying "we endorse and appreciate all expressions of conscience."

Ten-year-old Liam Holmes was asked along with his Cub Scout troop to lead the pledge of allegiance before the Durham City Council Monday when he decided to take a knee.

"What I did was took a knee against racial discrimination, which is basically when people are mean to other people of different colors," Holmes told local outlet CBS 17.
NC mayor praises 10-year-old who took knee during pledge of allegiance at city council meeting

cool story all around . The 10 year most of all. But, also his dad and the mayor .

Jan 2019
Batmania
Actually I had always thought that kneeling was more respectful than standing. I had presumed that thinking that standing was more respectful than kneeling was an American culture thing.

You kneel to get knighted.
You kneel to propose.
Captive people are made to kneel before their conquerors.

Is the kneeling thing disrespectful cause it is saying that the "kneeler" is still a captive?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Actually I had always thought that kneeling was more respectful than standing. I had presumed that thinking that standing was more respectful than kneeling was an American culture thing.

You kneel to get knighted.
You kneel to propose.
Captive people are made to kneel before their conquerors.

Is the kneeling thing disrespectful cause it is saying that the "kneeler" is still a captive?
Catholics also kneel in church too, I believe...

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Interesting story.

Apparently kneeling was a joint decision between the boy and his father. Not clear on which one actually came up with the idea.

The child says this was his first time kneeling during the pledge of allegiance. But he now plans to always do so in the future. Certainly his prerogative.