NCAA 2019 Tournament Thread

Jan 2016
Colorado
Probably. Cause they're always loaded, always good.
People have gotten tired of Duke winning, just as they have gotten tired of the New England Patriots winning. Plus, I'm out here in the WEST. Sick and tired of the Eastern Liberal Establishment Press always getting to GLOAT about Duke and the New England Patriots.

:cool::nerd::upsidedown:

Jan 2016
Colorado
The women's bracket is also getting down to the nitty-gritty. There are six teams still alive in the women's NCAA tournament. Here they are, with how I rank them, their record, their seed, and who they play next. I am capitalizing the two teams that have already punched their tickets to the Final Four:

1. Baylor: 34-1, S1, Iowa
2. Notre Dame: 33-3, M1, Stanford
3. CONNECTICUT: 35-2, E2, OREGON
4. OREGON: 33-4, W2, CONNECTICUT
5. Stanford: 31-4, M2, Notre Dame
6. Iowa: 29-6, S2, Baylor

The Fighting Irish of Notre Dame are the defending national champions. But Baylor is the top seed overall, sitting on a 26-game winning streak. They have won their games this season by an astonishing average margin of 30.9 points, and their three tournament games to this point by an average of 40.3 points. The Iowa Hawkeyes get the task of trying to stop that juggernaut in the first of two games tomorrow night. Yet people are saying Iowa might pose the first real test for Baylor in this tournament:

Top women's seed Baylor braces for test from Iowa, Gustafson

Iowa's top player Megan Gustafson has 33 double-doubles this season. If she gets one in the game against Baylor, she will set an ALL-TIME NCAA RECORD, for BOTH men's and women's basketball in one season. No one has EVER had 34 double-doubles in one season. Not Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Not Bill Walton. Not Bill Russell. Not Larry Bird. Not nobody.

If you like cheering for the underdog, if you like cheering for David vs Goliath, tune in to the Iowa vs Baylor game tomorrow night on ESPN, and watch the Iowa Hawkeyes TRY to take down Baylor. If they do, there'll be a cheer from Northern Colorado that will be heard from Nome, Alaska, to Key West, Florida.

Jan 2016
Colorado
The women's bracket is also getting down to the nitty-gritty. There are six teams still alive in the women's NCAA tournament. Here they are, with how I rank them, their record, their seed, and who they play next. I am capitalizing the two teams that have already punched their tickets to the Final Four:

The Fighting Irish of Notre Dame are the defending national champions. But Baylor is the top seed overall, sitting on a 26-game winning streak. They have won their games this season by an astonishing average margin of 30.9 points, and their three tournament games to this point by an average of 40.3 points. The Iowa Hawkeyes get the task of trying to stop that juggernaut in the first of two games tomorrow night. Yet people are saying Iowa might pose the first real test for Baylor in this tournament:

Iowa's top player Megan Gustafson has 33 double-doubles this season. If she gets one in the game against Baylor, she will set an ALL-TIME NCAA RECORD, for BOTH men's and women's basketball in one season. No one has EVER had 34 double-doubles in one season. Not Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Not Bill Walton. Not Bill Russell. Not Larry Bird. Not nobody.

If you like cheering for the underdog, if you like cheering for David vs Goliath, tune in to the Iowa vs Baylor game tomorrow night on ESPN, and watch the Iowa Hawkeyes TRY to take down Baylor. If they do, there'll be a cheer from Northern Colorado that will be heard from Nome, Alaska, to Key West, Florida.
As an addendum to that post, Baylor's only loss on the season was a five-point loss on the road at Stanford, very early in the season. Stanford is one of the five other teams still alive, obviously. The Connecticut vs Oregon game is not until next Friday night. The other two games------Baylor vs Iowa and Notre Dame vs Stanford-----are both tomorrow (Monday) night, and will decide the final two spots in the women's Final Four. The women's national championship game will be next Sunday, a day before the men's NC game.

Jan 2016
Colorado

Need to make a correction to this post. Oregon will NOT be playing Connecticut on Friday. Oregon will play the winner of Baylor vs Iowa, and Connecticut will play the winner of Notre Dame vs Stanford. Had my Final Four pairings mixed up. Sorry.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Need to make a correction to this post. Oregon will NOT be playing Connecticut on Friday. Oregon will play the winner of Baylor vs Iowa, and Connecticut will play the winner of Notre Dame vs Stanford. Had my Final Four pairings mixed up. Sorry.
On Sunday, the women's national championship game will be Baylor (36-1) vs defending national champions Notre Dame (35-3). Before today's games, I would have thought Baylor would be the easy pick in that game, because I thought Baylor looked simply invincible when they crushed Iowa last Monday night by some 30 points. But Oregon gave them EVERYTHING they wanted tonight, and indeed for much of the game it looked like Oregon might win. Notre Dame vs Connecticut went down to the wire, and Notre Dame came from behind to win, being down by 9 points with about 7 minutes to go. So Baylor vs Notre Dame on Sunday could be a great game to watch, if you're in the mood for a 'teaser game' before the men's championship on Monday night.

I'm picking Michigan State and Virginia to win tomorrow's semifinals, and then Michigan State to win a close NC game over Virginia on Monday night.

Jan 2016
Colorado
On Sunday, the women's national championship game will be Baylor (36-1) vs defending national champions Notre Dame (35-3). Before today's games, I would have thought Baylor would be the easy pick in that game, because I thought Baylor looked simply invincible when they crushed Iowa last Monday night by some 30 points. But Oregon gave them EVERYTHING they wanted tonight, and indeed for much of the game it looked like Oregon might win. Notre Dame vs Connecticut went down to the wire, and Notre Dame came from behind to win, being down by 9 points with about 7 minutes to go. So Baylor vs Notre Dame on Sunday could be a great game to watch, if you're in the mood for a 'teaser game' before the men's championship on Monday night.

I'm picking Michigan State and Virginia to win tomorrow's semifinals, and then Michigan State to win a close NC game over Virginia on Monday night.
Baylor won the women's championship game by a single point when Notre Dame's star player made only one of two free throws near the very end of the game. Had she made both, the game would have almost certainly gone into overtime. Baylor finishes with a very impressive overall record of 37-1, winning their third overall national championship, and their first since 2012.

It is Virginia vs Texas Tech in the men's championship game tomorrow night, and after watching Texas Tech frustrate Michigan State's offense Saturday night, I am thinking they can probably do the same to Virginia, and win. The team that wins will be winning the first NC for their university, as it is the first appearance by either team in the NC game.

Jun 2014
United States
Auburn kept it close. That's the best result the state of Alabama has thus far seen in an NCAA Tournament. The SEC overall did alright -- for a football conference. They're getting better at basketball.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Auburn kept it close. That's the best result the state of Alabama has thus far seen in an NCAA Tournament. The SEC overall did alright -- for a football conference. They're getting better at basketball.
Probably true. As for the conference standings before the championship game tonight, here's where they stand:

The Big Ten finishes the tournament with a record of 13-8, or .619. The SEC finished with 12-7, or .632. So the SEC did slightly edge the Big Ten in percentage terms this year. FWIW, though, last year the Big Ten was FAR better, than any other major conference. I didn't look at longer trends.....

The ACC, represented by Virginia in tonight's game, is 14-6. And the Big Twelve is 8-5 going into tonight's game. If Virginia wins, there will be little dispute that the ACC is the best basketball conference in the land. If Texas Tech wins, the debate will continue to rage, probably.