NCAA Men's College Basketball Poll Week 12

Jul 2011
Tennessee
Tennessee #1 in the AP poll.

Only the 2nd time in school history receiving this ranking. 2007 was their first.

The irony. Tennessee plays at Vanderbilt Wednesday. They lost at Vanderbilt in 2007 loosing their number one ranking.

Can't wait!!

Fun, Fun!!

Jan 2016
Colorado
No more unbeaten teams in college basketball. As of January 22nd, 2019, there are 6 teams with only 1 loss. They are, in order of how I think they should be ranked:

Tennessee: 15-1
Virginia: 16-1
Michigan: 17-1
Nevada: 18-1
Houston: 18-1
Buffalo: 16-1

A big game this week in the Big Ten: Michigan State (ranked 5th and 6th in the AP and Coaches polls) goes on the road to Iowa, ranked 19th in the AP Poll. Michigan State is unbeaten in conference play. In fact, they have won 20 consecutive regular season conference games. That's hot. But Iowa is pretty hot themselves. They have won 5 Big Ten games in a row themselves.

I have a hometown hero I am cheering for on the Iowa Hawkeyes this year, Joe Wieskamp from Muscatine, Iowa. Kid is likely to be Big Ten freshman of the year. He broke ALL the Iowa high school basketball records, in fact they knew he was going to break them, I think, before he was halfway through his JUNIOR year.

I'll be getting the popcorn for that game on Thursday night! [Actually, I'll be getting my deluxe party mix, as I made a HUGE batch of it Sunday for the football games, and it will be my junk food for the next two weeks!]

Jan 2016
Colorado
No more unbeaten teams in college basketball. As of January 22nd, 2019, there are 6 teams with only 1 loss. They are, in order of how I think they should be ranked:

Tennessee: 15-1
Virginia: 16-1
Michigan: 17-1
Nevada: 18-1
Houston: 18-1
Buffalo: 16-1

A big game this week in the Big Ten: Michigan State (ranked 5th and 6th in the AP and Coaches polls) goes on the road to Iowa, ranked 19th in the AP Poll. Michigan State is unbeaten in conference play. In fact, they have won 20 consecutive regular season conference games. That's hot. But Iowa is pretty hot themselves. They have won 5 Big Ten games in a row themselves.

I have a hometown hero I am cheering for on the Iowa Hawkeyes this year, Joe Wieskamp from Muscatine, Iowa. Kid is likely to be Big Ten freshman of the year. He broke ALL the Iowa high school basketball records, in fact they knew he was going to break them, I think, before he was halfway through his JUNIOR year.

I'll be getting the popcorn for that game on Thursday night! [Actually, I'll be getting my deluxe party mix, as I made a HUGE batch of it Sunday for the football games, and it will be my junk food for the next two weeks!]
Buffalo fell on the road tonight, so now there are only FIVE teams with just one loss. Michigan ALMOST lost at home to Minnesota, but eked out a win.

Jul 2011
Tennessee
Tennessee #1 in the AP poll.

Only the 2nd time in school history receiving this ranking. 2007 was their first.

The irony. Tennessee plays at Vanderbilt Wednesday. They lost at Vanderbilt in 2007 loosing their number one ranking.

Can't wait!!

Fun, Fun!!
Well it almost happened again.

Tennessee was down 76-70 with 1:22 left in the game against Vanderbilt. They come back and tie the game to force OT.

They win 88-83.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Well it almost happened again.

Tennessee was down 76-70 with 1:22 left in the game against Vanderbilt. They come back and tie the game to force OT.

They win 88-83.
They deserve their #1 ranking at this point. Still, I think there's any of about 8 teams that are good enough to win the national championship this year, and I have no idea who is actually going to win it.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Duke is gonna get healthy soon.

They will climb back up into the top group.
I don't think they ever really left the 'top group'. They are certainly one of those eight or so teams that I think are good enough to win the national championship. Add Michigan State to that list. They clobbered Iowa tonight in Iowa City, not easy to do. And they've now won 21 consecutive Big Ten regular season games, DEFINITELY not easy to do.

Jul 2014
midwest
I don't think they ever really left the 'top group'. They are certainly one of those eight or so teams that I think are good enough to win the national championship. Add Michigan State to that list. They clobbered Iowa tonight in Iowa City, not easy to do. And they've now won 21 consecutive Big Ten regular season games, DEFINITELY not easy to do.
Michigan State is one of those teams who always seems to be a threat.

Maybe the most consistently great program in the Big 10.

I have heard it suggested that Zion "retire" from Duke already. (Scottie Pippen, I think)

Don't think he will, but...

He's already shown that he'll be a top pick, if not THE top pick.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Michigan State is one of those teams who always seems to be a threat.

Maybe the most consistently great program in the Big 10.

I have heard it suggested that Zion "retire" from Duke already. (Scottie Pippen, I think)

Don't think he will, but...

He's already shown that he'll be a top pick, if not THE top pick.
Tom Izzo (Michigan State coach) LIVES for the month of March. That guy is more INTO college basketball than anyone other than Dick Vitale.

Jul 2014
midwest
Tom Izzo (Michigan State coach) LIVES for the month of March. That guy is more INTO college basketball than anyone other than Dick Vitale.
Coach K. may be the only active coach who is better.

Now that Stevens has moved on.

Few and Self may be close.

Williams and Calapari seem to have slipped a bit.