Need to Impeach: Should trump be impeached if he declares a national emergency to build his wall?

should trump be impeached if he declares a national emergency

• yes

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • no

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • wait until the Mueller report to decide

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
Sep 2014
South FL
The legal system is a disaster. Everyone seems to agree it needs to be changed.
No amnesty without actual border security. Equity ABSOLUTELY favors the dreamers AND long term residents who haven't been deported, indeed, after some amount of time, I do feel the state loses the general right to deport somebody. But the flow needs to be stopped first.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
Mr. Rasselas,

So no, the President has not done nor will not do anything impeachable?
Umm...do you speak English? I didn't say that. If the president does something that is later determined to exceed his authority, if he stops doing it when courts tell him to, that's not impeachable, it seems to me. If he refuses to comply with the edicts of federal courts, that might be impeachable.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
A wall aint gonna do it.

How long do you think it would take to get law enforcement to those remote locations where trump says people are crossing?

Actual truck with a ramp at the border. People could be over the wall, and gone before anyone got there to arrest them.

22ft.

Less than that people can roll and not be injured.

At 22ft, you break something.

Statistically though, more casualties in the 5-10ft range.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
Illegal immigration is a massive problem and they have never fully solved it. They have reduced the number of illegal crossings substantially, but the remaining number able to cross is still a very large number of people.
Then we need to study how they do it, and implement methods that will inhibit them, but in cost-efficient ways. Building a wall either over very rough terrain or through very remote, desert areas doesn't sound like smart policy to me. Building walls that divide communities that sprawl across the border is probably more cost-efficient, but it is a huge imposition on the lives of people at the border, even long-time American citizens. Then there's the fact that nearly all the land at the border on the Rio Grande (which is more than half the border's length) is owned by Americans, so their land would be confiscated in order to make this "wall."

Surely this one-size-fits-all, talisman-like solution isn't really much of a solution. There must be more effective, less-costly solutions that can be determined for each place along the border.

It's ridiculous to talk the way the administration talks about this issue. They complain about the flow of drugs, but nearly all drugs come in through ports of entry. He can complain about the human tragedy of people who die trying to make it through the natural border of the desert, or as the victims of unscrupulous coyotes, but no one seriously thinks Trump cares about such people in the slightest.

I think our leaders can sit down and find ways to improve border security if they would just stop posturing over a wall. An effective border policy would involve a great deal more than a barrier, and there are already barriers in most of the places where it makes sense to place barriers.

Mar 2015
Minnesota
Exactly. They equate impeachment with removal. Liberals either are willfully ignorant or just plain stupid. So allow me to 'splain to you how this works, mmmkay? If a sitting POTUS were accused of "high crimes and misdemeanors" like Clinton was (lying to a Federal Grand Jury is a gignormous no-no), then the House can draw up "articles of Impeachment" which is nothing more than the Congressional equivalent to a criminal indictment handed down by a Grand Jury at the state or Federal level. It then goes to the Senate for trial. ONLY upon conviction can a sitting POTUS be removed. But alas to our Leftist waifs, they won't get a "mulligan", a "do over" or "special election". Constitutional line of succession goes into effect and the mantle of the Presidency goes to Mike Pence.
Exactly. They equate impeachment with removal. Liberals either are willfully ignorant or just plain stupid. So allow me to 'splain to you how this works, mmmkay? If a sitting POTUS were accused of "high crimes and misdemeanors" like Clinton was (lying to a Federal Grand Jury is a gignormous no-no), then the House can draw up "articles of Impeachment" which is nothing more than the Congressional equivalent to a criminal indictment handed down by a Grand Jury at the state or Federal level. It then goes to the Senate for trial. ONLY upon conviction can a sitting POTUS be removed. But alas to our Leftist waifs, they won't get a "mulligan", a "do over" or "special election". Constitutional line of succession goes into effect and the mantle of the Presidency goes to Mike Pence.
The word that is important here is not impeach at all, it's indict. Mueller will be doing just that when he has his case. if He doesn't New York will if scum bag goes supper stupid,like nuclear for instance, the charges in New York are automatic. He will be sentenced. The one that interests me the most Is scum bags self run foundation that was forced to close and forced to hand over to the court. the 1.75 million that was still in it.

Mar 2015
Minnesota
Yeah? Tell that to your boy Billy bubbacheeseburger. You're just butthurt because the lying cunt Hillary isn't in the WH
Why would any democrat be now. It only ends your party quicker then demographics would have, demographics gave you 2 decades at the most. With scum bag you will never see another president that comes from what use to be a conservative party but is nothing but a hate party now. Real conservatives will be needed to put another conservitive group together and you better bet it won't be as ugly and hateful as this group. They won't be able to use the Republican name anymore , it will be totally poisoned by then. I'm a die hard Democrat but I'll help any way possible to put their new conservative party together. The conservative voice is in no way my voice but it is needed as much as the liberal voice in this country.

Mar 2015
Minnesota
That is false.

Bloomberg - Here’s What We Know About Trump’s Mexico Wall

"The Institute for Defense Analyses, a nonprofit, nonpartisan research group that works solely for U.S. government agencies, estimates that about 200,000 people made it across in 2015—down from an estimated 2 million entries in 2000. "

On top of which the underlying population isn't exactly turning turnstiles and answering polls.

Overstays are a different issue of course that should be addressed, primarily, at places of employment.
You don't know, nor does someone who writes a article about it.