Need to Impeach: Should trump be impeached if he declares a national emergency to build his wall?

should trump be impeached if he declares a national emergency

• yes

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • no

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • wait until the Mueller report to decide

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
Sep 2013
On a hill
Then we need to study how they do it, and implement methods that will inhibit them, but in cost-efficient ways. Building a wall either over very rough terrain or through very remote, desert areas doesn't sound like smart policy to me. Building walls that divide communities that sprawl across the border is probably more cost-efficient, but it is a huge imposition on the lives of people at the border, even long-time American citizens. Then there's the fact that nearly all the land at the border on the Rio Grande (which is more than half the border's length) is owned by Americans, so their land would be confiscated in order to make this "wall."

Surely this one-size-fits-all, talisman-like solution isn't really much of a solution. There must be more effective, less-costly solutions that can be determined for each place along the border.

It's ridiculous to talk the way the administration talks about this issue. They complain about the flow of drugs, but nearly all drugs come in through ports of entry. He can complain about the human tragedy of people who die trying to make it through the natural border of the desert, or as the victims of unscrupulous coyotes, but no one seriously thinks Trump cares about such people in the slightest.

I think our leaders can sit down and find ways to improve border security if they would just stop posturing over a wall. An effective border policy would involve a great deal more than a barrier, and there are already barriers in most of the places where it makes sense to place barriers.
Maybe trump is a living example of the wisdom that says, "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". If all trump knows is construction - well then...

Will Hurd, a republican, who represents a district that spans a a third of the border between mexico, and texas, says:

"I’ve been very clear that building a 35-foot high concrete structure from sea to shining sea is the most expensive and least effective way to do border security," Hurd later said.

He also said, among other things, that improving border security will come from giving departments such as the U.S. Coast Guard more resources.

will hurd - Google Search
Did trump ever restore the money he cut from the Coast Guard budget?

Jan 2014
California
Umm...do you speak English? I didn't say that. If the president does something that is later determined to exceed his authority, if he stops doing it when courts tell him to, that's not impeachable, it seems to me. If he refuses to comply with the edicts of federal courts, that might be impeachable.
Mr. Rasselas,

So if the President cures cancer with a touch (which is about a likely as your scenario) will you forgive him?

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
They had decades and failed.
How is this different? The "wall" isn't magic. It's unlikely to solve most of the problems that the president outlined in his Tuesday address. The arguments we're hearing from him make no sense. It's the same logic as the Iraq War: "We were attacked by a bunch of Saudi extremists so lets go depose the leader of Iraq."

May 2016
california
Impeach the President for trying to enforce border security? What kind of precedent in law is that? Non-sequiters abound.

Mar 2015
Minnesota
Impeach the President for trying to enforce border security? What kind of precedent in law is that? Non-sequiters abound.
The country doesn't want a wall , he said the Mexico would pay for it and the right wing senate already has passed a bill to increase security at the border. The house will gladly sign it they already said they would. why don't you and your buddies go down there with machine guns and stop them. Heres the problem, I would rather have a illegal for my next door neighbor then any right winger any day of the week. Tell me why I should get manic over these beautiful hard working people.

May 2016
california
The country doesn't want a wall , he said the Mexico would pay for it and the right wing senate already has passed a bill to increase security at the border. The house will gladly sign it they already said they would. why don't you and your buddies go down there with machine guns and stop them. Heres the problem, I would rather have a illegal for my next door neighbor then any right winger any day of the week. Tell me why I should get manic over these beautiful hard working people.
Wow, I wouldn't want to get into a debate, besides people don't change their minds, but as to the thread, it would seem a pitiful logic to conclude that any president could be impeached for protecting the border.

Mar 2015
Minnesota
Wow, I wouldn't want to get into a debate, besides people don't change their minds, but as to the thread, it would seem a pitiful logic to conclude that any president could be impeached for protecting the border.
Ya the stupid part is who they are saying we need to protect it because of. 400 terrorist to find out the number is zero.