Netherlands bans burqas

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

File picture - Women in niqabs walk, in front of the Danish Parliament at Christiansborg Castle, in Copenhagen, Denmark, Thursday May 31. 2018 MADS CLAUS RASMUSSEN/RITZAU SCANPIX VIA AP

THE HAGUE, Netherlands – The Netherlands has approved a limited ban on “face-covering clothing” in public places, including Islamic veils and robes such as the burqa and niqab but not the hijab, which covers only the hair. Firebrand far-right politician Geert Wilders had pushed for the ban for over a decade.

Parliament’s upper chamber made the final approval in a vote Tuesday.

The Dutch law is described by the government as “religion-neutral,” and does not go as far as more extensive bans in neighboring countries like France and Belgium. It applies on public transport and in education institutions, health institutions such as hospitals, and government buildings.

Studies suggest that only a few hundred women in the Netherlands wear niqabs or full-face burqas.

The ban also covers ski masks and full-face helmets.
Dutch parliament approves limited ban on burqa, niqab

Honestly... I agree with them. These niqabs creep me out, they simply do.

I myself, I am from Caucasus. Abkhazia, my homeland, has plenty of Muslims, 15% or so of the ethnic Abkhaz population

They all used to be, before the Russians and Georgians converted most of them to Orthodox Christianity over the centuries.

I never seen a Muslim woman in Abkhazia wear that black shit.

Nor in Moscow, where I lived in a Southern neighborhood, where lots of other folks from Caucasus and Central Asia tend to also make home, and girls in hijabs are not unusual

But again, no burqas.

As I said here, these burqas are associated with terrorists in Russia, because that's only ones who ever wore them there, wahhabi extremists

I can understand why many in Europe see it that way too.

It is NOT a normal type of clothing...

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Who will be the first to scream islamophobe?

Can you imagine if America did this?

Well .... Left me rephrase that.

Can you imagine if this ban was signed into law by President Trump?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Who will be the first to scream islamophobe?

Can you imagine if America did this?

Well .... Left me rephrase that.

Can you imagine if this ban was signed into law by President Trump?
Why won't he? I'm sure it would fire up his base lol

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
... Honestly... I agree with them. These niqabs creep me out, they simply do.
It is NOT a normal type of clothing...
"Man buns" creep me out. They're NOT a normal type of hairstyle.

Can we pass laws to ban them too?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
"Man buns" creep me out. They're NOT a normal type of hairstyle.

Can we pass laws to ban them too?

I'd support you on that one probably too lol

On a serious note, it's not the same thing. I don't recall any people with man buns supporting terrorism and such anywhere.

Meanwhile, burqas are the uniform of ISIS women, for example

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
... On a serious note, it's not the same thing. I don't recall any people with man buns supporting terrorism and such anywhere. ...
On the other hand, women are very rarely involved in supporting terrorism. It's almost always men. So if we're giving those who sport man buns a pass since they're unlikely to be involved in terrorist-related activities, shouldn't we also give women a pass for the same reason?

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
On the other hand, women are very rarely involved in supporting terrorism. It's almost always men. So if we're giving those who sport man buns a pass since they're unlikely to be involved in terrorist-related activities, shouldn't we also give women a pass for the same reason?
I guess you forgot about this raving beauty ......