New claims for unemployment benefits drop slightly

K

katiegrrl0

Dispatch

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Initial claims for unemployment benefits fell slightly last week as the recovering economy moves closer to generating more jobs.
The Labor Department said Thursday that new jobless benefit claims dropped 6,000 to a seasonally adjusted 439,000, nearly matching analysts' estimates. It's the fourth drop in five weeks.
The four-week average of claims, which smooths volatility, fell by nearly 7,000 to 447,250, the lowest total since the week of Sept. 13, 2008, just before Lehman Brothers collapsed and the financial crisis intensified.
This number is just not dropping fast enough.

Mar 2010
Dropping of claims could mean more people with jobs or more people running out of benefits...
It's pretty sad. The longer people stay out of work, the less they'll look as hope dwindles. The likelihood is that even when jobs come back, it will be a bit slow to fill due to people giving up.

I really think the stimulus should have included more public works. People whine that those jobs aren't permanent. They're not supposed to be. They're supposed to keep people working until jobs come back!

K

katiegrrl0

Small and mid size business don't seem to be adding jobs. There is the problem for the US. That is the backbone of the economy. If this doesn't come back quickly it will be a long ride.

Dec 2007
Middle of nowhere Arkansas
Small and mid size business don't seem to be adding jobs. There is the problem for the US. That is the backbone of the economy. If this doesn't come back quickly it will be a long ride.
The inevitable taxes needed to fund this expansion of government will not allow businesses, of any size, to grow.

Mar 2010
The inevitable taxes needed to fund this expansion of government will not allow businesses, of any size, to grow.
Lack of customers also impairs business growth (in more ways than one- both due to less money coming in and less reason to bother expanding). Both demand and supply need to be considered.

I think that this is another reason why we should have invested more in public works. At least then the tax money would be going toward human captial and infrastructure, which provides some good for business from the supply side while also helping to boost demand- possibly more, as working people will most likely have greater confidence than those who have been long unemployed.

K

katiegrrl0

I haven't seen anything about a major tax change for the US. When did this happen.

What i am seeing is the banks are not lending the money that the government loaned them. They need to pay the huge salaries to people that sit on their asses and do nothing but cash the checks.

Dec 2007
Middle of nowhere Arkansas
I haven't seen anything about a major tax change for the US. When did this happen.

What i am seeing is the banks are not lending the money that the government loaned them. They need to pay the huge salaries to people that sit on their asses and do nothing but cash the checks.
Uncertainty exists. The tax man will cometh.

K

katiegrrl0

Uncertainty exists. The tax man will cometh.
Did you notice that the NHC Bill gives small business a 35% tax credit on the purchase of insurance even that which is already being paid for by the employer. This may free up some funds to hire a new person.