New Illinois law will ensure contributions of gay people are taught in public schools

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
But to keep this whole conversation in perspective...

...most kids seem to treat history class like superman treats kryptonite. So the overall impact of the new law prolly isn't going to be too large.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey
Nov 2018
Maryland
We need to teach about gays and minorities and women and their contributions because they have been left out of the history books.
Over the past several years, we have gotten a lot of movies and stories about women, gays and minorities. Who does not remember the series "Roots"? The gay lifestyle is promoted in movies these days, and in some TV sitcoms.

Maybe, we need, as has been mentioned, to concentrate on individual contributions and not lump people together in groups.

Dec 2018
Florida
So just talk about Turing's successes and fail to mention he was imprisoned and chemically castrated for being a homosexual? Just write that part out of history?
No. That’s actually the opposite of what I would want. Because that is important. I wouldn’t shoe horn that in to a discussion on civics for a 6th or 7th graders. I also wouldn’t stop mid AMH for that in 8th grade either (since they don’t cover that era).

Here is a question for you...at what point should we decide that it is more important for our kids to having fundamental building blocks for history/social studies and not a bunch of random trivial knowledge about (insert random descriptor) American? What is more important? Understanding why our government exists the way it does, or knowing what some random homosexuals did in the 1960s?

Specialized knowledge shouldn’t come at the expenses of core building blocks. It is like demanding calculus from kids who still need to learn algebra. But I know, I know: Trump, Conservatives Bad!

Dec 2018
Florida
But to keep this whole conversation in perspective...

...most kids seem to treat history class like superman treats kryptonite. So the overall impact of the new law prolly isn't going to be too large.

Imagine if Americans actually had to pass a civics test to vote.

Dec 2018
Florida
Why does his sexual preference need to be brought up? Just recognize his accomplishments. Are great men mentioned along with being heterosexual ? Not a chance.
Because he was chemically castrated because of his sexuality...after we fought a war to stop that kind of thing. It is actually important.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Over the past several years, we have gotten a lot of movies and stories about women, gays and minorities. Who does not remember the series "Roots"? The gay lifestyle is promoted in movies these days, and in some TV sitcoms.

Maybe, we need, as has been mentioned, to concentrate on individual contributions and not lump people together in groups.
Dude, Roots was in 1977, most Americans were not even born back then.

38.1 years

The median age of the total population is 38.1 years; the male median age is 36.8 years; the female median age is 39.4 years.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Because he was chemically castrated because of his sexuality...after we fought a war to stop that kind of thing. It is actually important.
Except this was a US ally that carried it out, and the US never pressured them about their policy of chemical castration for homosexuals. There was no war “to stop that kind of thing”.

Meanwhile, back in the USofA:

Tuskegee syphilis experiment - Wikipedia

Just more history that will make kids hate America, so probably shouldn’t teach it, even though it happened.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Except this was a US ally that carried it out, and the US never pressured them about their policy of chemical castration for homosexuals. There was no war “to stop that kind of thing”.

Meanwhile, back in the USofA:

Tuskegee syphilis experiment - Wikipedia

Just more history that will make kids hate America, so probably shouldn’t teach it, even though it happened.
The right only wants sanitized, fairy tale history, to be taught, none of this real life stuff. They want all the nasty stuff kept in the closet, like they keep themselves.

Dec 2018
Florida
Because it's important for people to know how much progress has been made. When it was discovered that Turing was homosexual, he was ordered by the court to take a chemical castration medical regimen that was designed to eliminate his libido. The man who cracked the unbreakable code and no doubt ended the war far sooner than it would have ended, saving countless lives, was treated like a lab rat and experimented on because the state didn't approve of his love life.

I think it's important for people to see just how bizarre and barbaric society treated homosexuality only 70 years ago. Why should we pretend that didn't happen? Because kids can't handle it?
We should teach stuff like that in context. Laws like the one listed in the OP have a way of making curriculum management even harder for teachers. It has been my experience that elected officials really don’t know much about how schools or classrooms work. So they don’t care if a teacher already teaches this in context. Now they have to possibly change lesson plans and waste more time on a topic that the kids really won’t care about. And they don’t need when compared to something like understanding the constitution or the failures of diplomacy that took as in to the first and second world wars.

I’m not against teaching about any group in history or what they went through. My main opposition is in jackass politicians trying to shoehorn in lesson plans that don’t benefit the students in the long run (because I seriously doubt they will be considerate of context or timing to the educators).