New Report: 40K F.B.I abuses uncovered

Dec 2010
Oregon
"First, the numbers: EFF found that, since 9/11, the FBI has been responsible for up to 40,000 violations. Most often, said violations included bucking guidelines for internal oversight, abusing the National Security Letters and trampling on the Fourth Amendment. This, in tandem with the IOB’s weakened capacity for oversight under President George W. Bush, has resulted in nothing short of disaster. In 2008, Bush revoked the IOB’s right to refer violations to the Attorney General, and eliminated the agency’s requirement to report quarterly to the IOB. As EFF found, "The FBI’s disregard for its own internal oversight requirements and the Bureau’s failure to timely report violations to the IOB undermined the safeguards established to protect civil liberties violations from occurring."

The FBI Has Been Violating Your Liberties in Ways That May Shock You | | AlterNet

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
How about setting up brain dead patsies like the so called 'Christmas Tree Bomber'. Now Portland's police is militarized....

Dec 2010
Oregon
How about setting up brain dead patsies like the so called 'Christmas Tree Bomber'. Now Portland's police is militarized....
That really doesn't recommend the practice of law enforcement to me.

I don't see how aiding and abetting criminal conspiracies is helpful in maintaining an orderly society.

Maybe someone can explain how engaging in those activities becomes beneficial for the man on the street.

Dec 2010
The spirit of J. Edgar Hoover lives on in today's FBI. America really hasn't changed very much since the Palmer Raids.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
They build this huge security apparatus and it gets used. If there are no boogie man, create some, it justifies the need. Problem is, civil liberties get eroded and soon, like the frog in the pan, we realize what a mistake it all was and what it cost. By then however, it may be to late.

Dec 2010
Oregon
They build this huge security apparatus and it gets used. If there are no boogie man, create some, it justifies the need. Problem is, civil liberties get eroded and soon, like the frog in the pan, we realize what a mistake it all was and what it cost. By then however, it may be to late.
I could not help but notice right after the Soviet justification for support to the war machine ended with the Reagan years we got the Muslim hoards to point at.

No peace dividend for the taxpayer, there must be enemies or there is no need for a protection racket.

Reactions: michaelr

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
I could not help but notice right after the Soviet justification for support to the war machine ended with the Reagan years we got the Muslim hoards to point at.

No peace dividend for the taxpayer, there must be enemies or there is no need for a protection racket.
Peace dividend is something that this country needs very bad. The government has kept this nation in a state of fear since WWII, and it is not fair nor healthy.

Bravo Spooky....fucking BRAVO!

Dec 2010
Oregon
Peace dividend is something that this country needs very bad. The government has kept this nation in a state of fear since WWII, and it is not fair nor healthy.

Bravo Spooky....fucking BRAVO!
Peace, unfortunately, is counter-productive in the old paradigm of the cold war economy.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
Peace, unfortunately is counter-productive
Well yeah, I mean who needs a prospering economy that includes small businesses doing great, and who needs to have a country that is not at each others throats? We need Napolitano in the Wal-Mart stores ordering us to snitch on each other, we're all terrorists. We need the government to steal the economy for the likes of GE and the banks. Hell now their stealing the power companies. Fuck I love it....USA USA.......

Dec 2010
Oregon
Well yeah, I mean who needs a prospering economy that includes small businesses doing great, and who needs to have a country that is not at each others throats? We need Napolitano in the Wal-Mart stores ordering us to snitch on each other, we're all terrorists. We need the government to steal the economy for the likes of GE and the banks. Hell now their stealing the power companies. Fuck I love it....USA USA.......
You left this out of my quote. "in the old paradigm of the cold war economy."