New study says coffee-even 25 cups a day-isnt bad for you

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Coffee lovers often find a dark little cloud of doubt dogging their morning pour—coffee is so good and so life-affirming, they think, there’s no way that drinking the stuff can be good for their bodies. In particular, people have worried that imbibing several daily doses of caffeine could be hurting their arteries and hearts. A new study from the U.K., however, indicates that a little Java—or even a lot, up to 25 cups worth—does not appear to have an impact on arteries.

Researchers from Queen Mary University of London, funded in part by the British Heart Foundation, looked at the artery health and coffee consumption patterns of more than 8,412 people. Each participant was categorized into one of three groups: those who drank less than one cup per day, those who had one to three cups and those who drank four to 25 cups each day. Anyone who drank more than 25 cups per day was excluded from the study, likely because they were too jittery to examine. The participants all underwent MRI scans of their hearts and infrared pulse wave tests, which examines arterial stiffness.

“What we found was that drinking more than three cups of coffee a day did not significantly increase the stiffness of blood vessels compared to people who drink one cup or less a day,” Kenneth Fung, who led the data analysis for the study, tells Amy Woodyatt at CNN. “The main message for people to take away from this is that coffee can be enjoyed as part of a healthy lifestyle, and coffee lovers can be reassured by this result in terms of blood vessel stiffness outcomes.”

New Study Shows Coffee—Even 25 Cups a Day of It—Isn't Bad For Your Heart | Smart News | Smithsonian

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I am usually in the "more than 3" category, but after about noon or so (depending on the circumstances), I tend to switch to decaf...

Jan 2016
Colorado
Coffee lovers often find a dark little cloud of doubt dogging their morning pour—coffee is so good and so life-affirming, they think, there’s no way that drinking the stuff can be good for their bodies. In particular, people have worried that imbibing several daily doses of caffeine could be hurting their arteries and hearts. A new study from the U.K., however, indicates that a little Java—or even a lot, up to 25 cups worth—does not appear to have an impact on arteries.

Researchers from Queen Mary University of London, funded in part by the British Heart Foundation, looked at the artery health and coffee consumption patterns of more than 8,412 people. Each participant was categorized into one of three groups: those who drank less than one cup per day, those who had one to three cups and those who drank four to 25 cups each day. Anyone who drank more than 25 cups per day was excluded from the study, likely because they were too jittery to examine. The participants all underwent MRI scans of their hearts and infrared pulse wave tests, which examines arterial stiffness.

“What we found was that drinking more than three cups of coffee a day did not significantly increase the stiffness of blood vessels compared to people who drink one cup or less a day,” Kenneth Fung, who led the data analysis for the study, tells Amy Woodyatt at CNN. “The main message for people to take away from this is that coffee can be enjoyed as part of a healthy lifestyle, and coffee lovers can be reassured by this result in terms of blood vessel stiffness outcomes.”

New Study Shows Coffee—Even 25 Cups a Day of It—Isn't Bad For Your Heart | Smart News | Smithsonian
I probably drink 8 cups a day.

:nerd:

Mar 2018
Florida
I probably drink 8 cups a day.

:nerd:
One cup in the morning. One cup of green tea late morning. If I treat myself to a small square of dark chocolate, it is before 3. Any more caffeine makes me jittery or causes insomnia. At night I only drink herbal caffeine free tea.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
One cup in the morning. One cup of green tea late morning. If I treat myself to a small square of dark chocolate, it is before 3. Any more caffeine makes me jittery or causes insomnia. At night I only drink herbal caffeine free tea.
Usually one cup in the morning and that is it....unless we have company.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I drink iced tea these days, with a steak dinner, as a substitute for the martinis I used to drink. Been a non-drinker for about 20 years now. I eat LOTS of chocolate, though, and I prefer dark chocolate.