New York Attorney General Opens Investigation of Trump Projects

Sep 2014
Barsoom
My argument is not against proxy arguements. It is the Constitution. The way campaign finance laws are written, Trump will likely not be indicted or convicted.

Last edited:

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
My argument is not against proxy arguements. It is the Constitution. The way campaign finance laws are written, Trump will likely not be indicted or convicted.
Well, how could you possibly know that we won't get convicted when there are numerous ongoing investigations into him?

Again, many legal scholars disagree with you. So there is that as well.

Sep 2014
Barsoom
Well, how could you possibly know that we won't get convicted when there are numerous ongoing investigations into him?

Again, many legal scholars disagree with you. So there is that as well.
I do not know with absolute certainty. I am giving my opinion based on the Constitution and the campaign finance law.

Jun 2014
United States
Here is a quick constitutional overview, which does not include the DOJ's determination that a sitting president cannot be indicted based on the Constitution: the sole power of indictment by the House, the solo power of conviction and removal by the Senate, then a state or the DOJ.

Article I, Section 2:

The House of Representatives shall choose their speaker and other officers; and shall have the sole power of impeachment (indictment).

Fail. Impeachment does not equal indictment. The Constitution only says what you think it says when you add your own text (in parentheses).

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
Impeachment is indictment. It dates to Great Britain and the House of Commons.

You cannot educate the uneducable.

It is obvious that loony lefties think that they can open investigations against political foes just because. The witch that is the NY AG is going to get a real education whether she likes it or not.

Nov 2016
Maryland
Impeachment is indictment. It dates to Great Britain and the House of Commons.
One difference between impeachment of a sitting president or other official, and the indictment of your garden variety criminal, is that the impeachment and subsequent trial by the Senate can only result in the official’s removal from office. However, indictment of a criminal and subsequent trial can result in prison and/or fines, things that won’t happen as a result of impeachment + impeachment trial alone.

Sep 2014
Barsoom
One difference between impeachment of a sitting president or other official, and the indictment of your garden variety criminal, is that the impeachment and subsequent trial by the Senate can only result in the official’s removal from office. However, indictment of a criminal and subsequent trial can result in prison and/or fines, things that won’t happen as a result of impeachment + impeachment trial alone.
The process is the method for a president to be indicted and prosecuted. That is the linear due process protocol established by the Constitution to prosecute a sitting president.

Nov 2016
Maryland
The process is the method for a president to be indicted and prosecuted. That is the linear due process protocol established by the Constitution to prosecute a sitting president.
Nevertheless, the only outcome of an impeachment + senate trial is the removal of the president from office. It does not get into further punishment for the crimes that led to his removal from office.