New York Republican congressman resigns in advance of guilty plea

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Orangemanbad
In today's climate this is good news.

-------------------------------------

New York Rep. Chris Collins submitted his resignation from Congress on Monday, one day ahead of his expected guilty plea to federal charges in an insider trading case, according to the House Speaker's office, court documents and a person familiar with the matter.

Collins sent a letter of resignation Monday to the office of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, according to her spokesman, who said Collins's resignation will be effective Tuesday.

May 2019
midwest

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
I guess Cuomo will pick a replacement until the next election? That's true for the Senate, but not sure about the HoR.

• Love
Reactions: the bull59

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
I guess Cuomo will pick a replacement until the next election? That's true for the Senate, but not sure about the HoR.
  • Vacancies in the House can take as long as six months to fill, because representatives can only be replaced through a special election.

Reactions: Davocrat and Chief

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
  • Vacancies in the House can take as long as six months to fill, because representatives can only be replaced through a special election.
See? I give one "like", and then everyone wants one!

May 2019
Backatown, USA
Or longer. After Republican Mark Harris' "wn" in last year's NC-9 election was voided when his operatives were caught destroying Democratic ballots, it took until this month to schedule a special election.

• Love
Reactions: Jets and the bull59