New York Times gives Ilhan Omar a platform to project her hate for President Trump

Mar 2019
Texas

New York Times Opinion

@nytopinion

"The president of the United States is using the influence of our highest office to mount racist attacks on communities across the land," writes @IlhanMN https://nyti.ms/2YgmFu7

Omar concludes:
The only way to push back is to be unequivocal about our values. It is not enough to condemn Mr. Trump’s racism. We must affirmatively confront racist policies — whether the caging of immigrant children at the border or the banning of Muslim immigrants or the allowing of segregation in public housing. It is not enough to condemn the corruption and self-dealing of this administration. We must support policies that unmistakably improve working people’s lives, including by strengthening collective bargaining, raising the minimum wage and pursuing a universal jobs guarantee.
The consequences of this fight will not just be felt here at home but around the world. Right-wing nationalism in Hungary, Russia, France, Britain and elsewhere is on the march in ways not seen in decades. America has been a beacon of democratic ideals for the world. If we succumb to the fever of right-wing nationalism, it will have consequences far beyond our borders.
The proudest moments in our history — from the Emancipation Proclamation to the civil rights movement to the struggle against fascism — have come when we fight to protect and expand basic democratic rights. Today, democracy is under attack once again. It’s time to respond with the kind of conviction that has made America great before.​

The truth is, Ilhan Omar is everything she claims to hate about Donald Trump.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I don't understand what the topic is? It's an opinion section and the NYT allowed a politician to express an opinion.
It's free speech. You're just proving what Rep. Omar is saying to be true when you attack her right to speak freely about what she doesn't like about a sitting president. He's not a King or a Dictator. In fact, if you read the Declaration of Independence it states: "when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government" - emphasis mine. In order words, it's in the DNA of American to stand up to a government that we feel is corrupt. It's what this country was founded on.

Mar 2019
Texas
I don't understand what the topic is? It's an opinion section and the NYT allowed a politician to express an opinion.
It's free speech. You're just proving what Rep. Omar is saying to be true when you attack her right to speak freely about what she doesn't like about a sitting president. He's not a King or a Dictator. In fact, if you read the Declaration of Independence it states: "when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government" - emphasis mine. In order words, it's in the DNA of American to stand up to a government that we feel is corrupt. It's what this country was founded on.
Uh huh..............

Mar 2019
Texas
The NYT should not be giving a platform to an anti-Semite like Omar. Plain and simple.

Liberals are quick to call anyone else who has a different opinion a racist, but they conveniently ignore people like her who has done nothing to hide her hatred.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
There's no need to "project" hate for president Trump. It's possible to just flat-out hate him, and heaven knows *I* do.

There used to be a time when the president at least tried to pretend to represent the people who didn't vote for him as well as those who did, and hell, even Obama tried to do that from time to time with his stupid beer summits and so on. But these days, with government seeming to get less and less capable of governing with each passing day, it's now part of the president's job to be hated by half the people, because the alternative is for government to be hated by all the people, and I'm gathering this is the main thing the establishment class is trying to avoid. they have a better sense than we do of how badly they're failing at their jobs, and they're hoping to God we don't get wise.

Thus Trump's doing a great job of making sure half the country hates him, and that we're as divided as we can possibly be, because this is the plutocracy's only real hope of maintaining its grip on power. Thus if you're not white, if you're too educated, if you're a person of color, if you are part of the mainstream press or you merely consume it, Trump flat-out does not give a damn about you, and he's perfectly willing to show it.

It's kinda refreshingly itself, actually. I got tired of Bush 43 trying to pretend he was a real president, with actual responsibilities to the nation and the world. Trump doesn't even bother. That's pretty bold.

Nov 2018
Maryland
The NYT is one and the same with the Democrat Party.

Omar, along with the rest of the Squawks, is helping Trump's poll numbers and his likelihood of winning in the 2020 election. In other words, she will be a major motivating factor to vote, because she represents much of what many Americans dislike about extremists leftists. She is arrogant, anti-Jewish, and will say anything to advance her agenda. Like AOC and the rest of the Squawks, she seems to think she's important and deserves a platform. I almost feel sorry for Nancy Pelosi, because she has to deal with the Squawks.