New Zealand: Hand over phone password at border or face $3,200 fine

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
NZ has had a rw government for some years, so not completely a surprise. I went looking to confirm a suspicion that the UK had similar regs and found this article from last year. It seems it's the latest borders thing!

" ...British travellers to the United States face the uncomfortable choice of handing over personal information, including social media passwords and mobile phone contacts, or running the risk of being denied entry to the country, under a new “extreme vetting” policy being considered by the Trump administration.

Tourists from the UK and other US allies including Germany and France, could be forced to reveal personal data, as well as disclose financial information and face detailed ideological questioning, according to Trump administration officials quoted by the Wall Street Journal. While US citizens have established rights against unlawful searches at the border, the extent to which foreign travellers can resist requests to hand over personal information is unclear. ..."

UK tourists to US may get asked to hand in passwords or be denied entry

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I suspect this will be the "new thing" around the world. Some schools are doing this now with students. Give the teacher the password so they cant look at it. It seems an invasion of privacy. But in a "See something say something" world I think the fear is there that "what if something happens and we could have found it out." Its tarnished us and instead of revolting, we give in. Slowly we are giving away our freedoms in the name of safety. Many predicted this when the Patriot Act was passed. Now other countries are getting in on the act.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
I suspect this will be the "new thing" around the world. Some schools are doing this now with students. Give the teacher the password so they cant look at it. It seems an invasion of privacy. But in a "See something say something" world I think the fear is there that "what if something happens and we could have found it out." Its tarnished us and instead of revolting, we give in. Slowly we are giving away our freedoms in the name of safety. Many predicted this when the Patriot Act was passed. Now other countries are getting in on the act.
Fear is profitable, it SELLS, it moves products.
The patriot Act, the TSA, Homeland Security, all the for profit corporations making money supplying whatever toys they demand on the name of "national security." Thanks to Richard Reid the "shoe bomber" almost 20 years ago , my great-grandchildren will STILL be taking their fucking shoes off in airports.
People will pay anything, give up almost anything in order to "feel safer". It doesn't even have to be a reality just so long as they FEEL safer.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Fear is profitable, it SELLS, it moves products.
The patriot Act, the TSA, Homeland Security, all the for profit corporations making money supplying whatever toys they demand on the name of "national security." Thanks to Richard Reid the "shoe bomber" almost 20 years ago , my great-grandchildren will STILL be taking their fucking shoes off in airports.
People will pay anything, give up almost anything in order to "feel safer". It doesn't even have to be a reality just so long as they FEEL safer.
Yup and now we have neighbors spying on each other and calling the police for every tiny thing that looks odd. I had the police called on me when I pulled up in front of my daughters new home. She had lived there for 2 days and the neighbors didnt recognize the cars. Well duh she just bought the home. We need more brains these days not laws and rules. People are bonkers.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I agree, we have to quit hiding under the bed every time we hear a creak. Requiring surrender of passwords is absurd, especially by the U.S. because we have constitutional protections against it.