Newsweek OpEd: Warren or Bernie, Or Trump

Jan 2014
south
You want to run the U.S. like a town hall?

I could agree to setting some subjects aside for decision only by referrendum, but we need some capacity to make snap decisions.
so you endorse having a "ruling class" of politicians?

Jan 2014
south
I think it's a skill set, and listening to constituents is part of that.
I would think nobody knows more about your needs and wants better than you. also, nobody knows where you place the needs and wants of your fellow citizens in the mix better than you. politicians are going to vote based on which party they belong to (first) and what their desires are for their own political best interests (second). what you need and want is irrelevant to them as you are not on their list. and that's where I stand.

Reactions: Madeline
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I would think nobody knows more about your needs and wants better than you. also, nobody knows where you place the needs and wants of your fellow citizens in the mix better than you. politicians are going to vote based on which party they belong to (first) and what their desires are for their own political best interests (second). what you need and want is irrelevant to them as you are not on their list. and that's where I stand.
But you must admit, we cannot run the U.S. as a direct, participatory, majority rules democracy. That might be ideal, but this is just not possible.

Jan 2014
south
But you must admit, we cannot run the U.S. as a direct, participatory, majority rules democracy. That might be ideal, but this is just not possible.
under the right set of rules, my answer would be - yes we can. and the citizens should be in charge of making the rules. Switzerland does very well with such a system. but, I'm quite sure they have been at this democracy thing much longer than we have.

Reactions: Madeline
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
under the right set of rules, my answer would be - yes we can. and the citizens should be in charge of making the rules. Switzerland does very well with such a system. but, I'm quite sure they have been at this democracy thing much longer than we have.
Interesting! I had no idea.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
"*Snip*

The stark reality is that Democrats cannot defeat Trump's authoritarian populism with an establishment candidate who fronts for the oligarchy. The only way Democrats win is with an agenda of fundamental systemic reform, such as provided by Warren and also by Sanders.

Unless Democrats stand squarely on the side of democracy against oligarchy, they risk that on Election Day too many Americans will either stand with Trump or stay home."

Reich is off his rocker just like Trump by using the same type of hyperbole as Trump. "Oligarchy"? He's been cloistered inside the University of California, Berkeley for far too long. He should get out and breathe fresh air.

What is he trying to say here?:
"This type of American politics is now obsolete. As wealth and power have moved to the topand the middle class has shrunk, more Americans have joined the ranks of the working class and poor. Most Americans – regardless of whether they were once on the left or right -- have become politically disempowered and economically insecure. Nowadays it's the boardwalk versus private jets on their way to the Hamptons. "

He dances around open revolt, but that can take many forms. He's old enough to have lived as an adult through the late Sixties so I'm guessing his wet dream are protests on the scale of the anti-war movement during the Vietnam Era. He won't get it because Millennials and Gen Xers rarely leave their safe spaces and believe a "like" on social media is equal to throwing tear gas canisters back to the National Guard moving on them with bayoneted M-14s.

1572790254002.png

Sep 2016
My own world
So its ok for a foreign govt (the US) to interfere in other nations elections...to the point of funding terrorist groups like the Contras? Thats BETTER than what Trump did? I think Trump belongs in prison....but if enriching yourself deserves prison, so does destroying foreign nations and funding groups that torture them, murder them and destroy any sort of civil life.....the fact that you defend the US supporting terrorist groups to determine another nations political system IS corrupt as hell....

So this is ok foreign policy?

A 1986 investigation by a sub-committee of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee (the Kerry Committee), found that "the Contra drug links included", among other connections, "[...] payments to drug traffickers by the U.S. State Department of funds authorized by the Congress for humanitarian assistance to the Contras, in some cases after the traffickers had been indicted by federal law enforcement agencies on drug charges, in others while traffickers were under active investigation by these same agencies."[2]

So keep that in mind when we are saying we provide "humanitarian aid"....its a lie, its a cover for funding terrorists to interfere in illegal ways into other nations sovereign right to determine their own political system AND they actually opened up the gates to the US markets for those drug dealers/terrorists....they used US tax payer money for all this and handed our own citizens over to increase the drug problems right here in the US. It created hell in those nations which made people want to flee....and hence additional illegal immigration.

Seriously....sound bite propaganda isnt going to cut it against the facts.
Yes, it's fine for the U.S to do what it does for the good of the country of the U.S. The problem here is Trump was doing what was good for him and damn America. End of story, so go pound sand.

Reactions: Minotaur
Oct 2013
USA
EXACTLY. Biden is every bit the enemy of the 99% that the Clintons were. That Trump would be, if he was better at potus-ing.

It doesn't matter if we elect a Democrat. It only matters if we elect a PROGRESSIVE.
There you go. Setting yourself up to use Biden like you used Hillary for your excuse. Everyone is corrupt to you except Dems who will likely lose to Trump. That is some great Trump insurance you bought there.

Again: Trump or the Dem candidate will win. Stop clogging your brain because if you think Trump is as bad as you say you think he is, there really is only one way to dump him. I don't care who the Democrats pick, that person has my vote. That is something you simply refused to understand when Hillary ran and it sounds like you are setting up for the same excuse. At this point I don't care really. I prefer listening to those who understand that one of two people will be the 2020 President and Trump should be the last person any genuine liberal or moderate helps get back into office. I can see conservatives pretending it is complicated however...

Reactions: NightSwimmer