NFL 2019 Regular Season Schedules Are Out!

Jan 2016
Colorado
You can find the schedule for your favorite team pretty easily. MY favorite team is the Denver Broncos, and they will begin AND end their season with the Oakland Raiders, starting with a late Monday night game at Oakland on the first weekend of the regular season. And THEN, they will come home to entertain the Chicago Bears in what is already being called the Fangio Bowl.

Broncos 2019 schedule released

I said in a different thread that I thought the Broncos were going to have an easier schedule this year. That was WRONG. In fact, by the records of their opponents from last year, the Broncos have the 2nd toughest schedule in the league this next year, as per another link I saw. The poor Oakland Raiders (heh!) have the toughest schedule. The two teams with the easiest schedules? Those were the Washington Redskins, followed by......this is getting old......the World Champion New England Patriots. Who again benefit, of course, from roosting over the weakest division (by far) in the NFL.

At least the Broncos' bye is roughly in the middle of the season, where most teams would want to have it.....But looking at that schedule, I think it will be tough for the Broncos to get to 8-8......

Jan 2018
Fl.
this is getting old......the World Champion New England Patriots. Who again benefit, of course, from roosting over the weakest division (by far) in the NFL.
What does it matter the strength of schedule when they still have to play the best teams in the play - offs then the superbowl ?? Like last season they they dominated the Chargers, beat the Chiefs TWICE. Then completely shutdown the
High scoring L.A Rams !!
Sorry Dude but I find it amusing that you let your hatred of the Patriots eat your F...... Lunch & it's not football season !!

Jan 2016
Colorado
What does it matter the strength of schedule when they still have to play the best teams in the play - offs then the superbowl ?? Like last season they they dominated the Chargers, beat the Chiefs TWICE. Then completely shutdown the
High scoring L.A Rams !!
Sorry Dude but I find it amusing that you let your hatred of the Patriots eat your F...... Lunch & it's not football season !!
But you know, it's NOT supposed to work this way!

Win the Super Bowl, and you're SUPPOSED to get a tough schedule the next year!

The Broncos have EIGHT playoff teams on their schedule this year, despite finishing only 6-10 last year. The New England Patriots have only FIVE playoff teams on their schedule this year, despite winning the Super Bowl last year. And not only that, the Patriots don't even face a playoff team until their 9th game of the season, when they play at Baltimore right before their bye. The entire first half of their season is filled with relatively weak teams, in other words, teams that couldn't make the playoffs last year.

I remember when the Broncos won their first Super Bowl back in 1997 against the Packers. The next year, they were gifted with a brutal schedule; I think they had to play nine playoff teams. Didn't stop them from defending their Super Bowl crown. Ah, those were the days.

Being in the uber-weak division they're in, the Patriots are almost guaranteed of being one of the top two seeds in the AFC, year after year after year, and thus getting a bye, and at least the first playoff game at home. And then only needing one more win to get to the Super Bowl.

It's just.....You know......Some people are beginning to talk.....

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN

The Broncos have EIGHT playoff teams on their schedule this year, despite finishing only 6-10 last year. The New England Patriots have only FIVE playoff teams on their schedule this year, despite winning the Super Bowl last year. And not only that, the Patriots don't even face a playoff team until their 9th game of the season, when they play at Baltimore right before their bye. The entire first half of their season is filled with relatively weak teams, in other words, teams that couldn't make the playoffs last year.

I remember when the Broncos won their first Super Bowl back in 1997 against the Packers. The next year, they were gifted with a brutal schedule; I think they had to play nine playoff teams. Didn't stop them from defending their Super Bowl crown. Ah, those were the days.

Being in the uber-weak division they're in, the Patriots are almost guaranteed of being one of the top two seeds in the AFC, year after year after year, and thus getting a bye, and at least the first playoff game at home. And then only needing one more win to get to the Super Bowl.

I don’t think the Browns are going to be a roll over for the Patriots this year

Jul 2014
midwest
I don’t think the Browns are going to be a roll over for the Patriots this year
I heard ESPN say that the Browns have three prime time games in the first 5 weeks.

Americas Team!

I thought the Browns and Chiefs should have played the first weekend...

Jan 2016
Colorado
I heard ESPN say that the Browns have three prime time games in the first 5 weeks.

Americas Team!

I thought the Browns and Chiefs should have played the first weekend...
Browns and Chiefs do NOT meet this year....unless it's in the playoffs.

But yes, the Browns DO have three prime time games in the first 5 weeks:

The second Monday night game of the season is Cleveland at the NY Jets (Baker Mayfield vs Sam Darnold the attraction there).

The following week, the third Sunday night game is the LA Rams at Cleveland, a good and tough test for this rising Browns team.

And the fifth week, the Browns have another Monday night date on the West Coast with the San Francisco 49ers.....

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious

Actually, I think it's precisely supposed to work this way. Okay, maybe not precisely, but... roughly.

There's only so much control the NFL has in purposefully designing a given team's NFL schedule and the Patriots have definitely had an advantage in the division they play in, but not much can be done about that. Of the 16 games an NFL team plays, six have to be from within their own division, a home and an away game against each team. Beyond that, it's set up so each NFL team will play every team in the league at least once every four years. That means they rotate by division around the league, playing four games against a division within their own conference and then four games against a division outside their conference. Those three restrictions take up 14 of the 16 regular season games. That leaves schedule makers a whopping two games where they can hand pick an opponent for each team. Two games is not a lot of opportunity to weight a schedule one way or the other.

With two 12-win teams in the AFC West (Chiefs & Chargers), it was somewhat inevitable that the Broncos and Raiders would end up with two of the tougher ranked schedules as each of them is required to play those two teams a total of four times, or 25% of their schedule.

But, yeah... it's time for the rest of the AFC East to step it up. I think the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets will make some noise this season but I don't think that'll be enough.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Actually, I think it's precisely supposed to work this way. Okay, maybe not precisely, but... roughly.

There's only so much control the NFL has in purposefully designing a given team's NFL schedule and the Patriots have definitely had an advantage in the division they play in, but not much can be done about that. Of the 16 games an NFL team plays, six have to be from within their own division, a home and an away game against each team. Beyond that, it's set up so each NFL team will play every team in the league at least once every four years. That means they rotate by division around the league, playing four games against a division within their own conference and then four games against a division outside their conference. Those three restrictions take up 14 of the 16 regular season games. That leaves schedule makers a whopping two games where they can hand pick an opponent for each team. Two games is not a lot of opportunity to weight a schedule one way or the other.

With two 12-win teams in the AFC West (Chiefs & Chargers), it was somewhat inevitable that the Broncos and Raiders would end up with two of the tougher ranked schedules as each of them is required to play those two teams a total of four times, or 25% of their schedule.

But, yeah... it's time for the rest of the AFC East to step it up. I think the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets will make some noise this season but I don't think that'll be enough.
Yeah, I know how the scheduling protocol works.....everything you're explaining in your first paragraph. But I must insist that it is NOT working the right way, when the Super Bowl champion has the second weakest schedule in the league, while two of the teams that finished with among the worst records in the NFL last year (Oakland and Denver) are saddled with the toughest schedules. But I'll also point out that this makes the AFC West look like one of the toughest divisions in the NFL, which you took issue with about a month or so ago....And, BTW, some folks think Miami might be the WORST team in the NFL this season, so even if the Jets are on the rise......LOL!