NFL Football Talk 2015

Babylon

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Jersey
I think there is a lot to discuss with this trade.

On the surface the trade is a head scratcher, but we already Knew he was going to be moved here in Philly.

1. Shady's cap number is one of the largest at his position while RB is a declining "value" position in the NFL. Kelly expecially does not put value here because he likes to rotate RBs and has started to phase him out last year anyway. We knew they would not resign him next year, so most of us saw him being dealt for the highest value they could get. Shady also freely speaks his mind, and you can't do that on the Philadelphia Ducks with Captain Insecurity Kelly at the helm.

2. Mariota: This is ALL about Mariota and here is why I say this. Mariota Validates that Chip Kelly's system is pure genius, at least that's what Kelly is screaming to the world whenever he speaks of Marcus. The Eagles will more than likely be pushing to move to #1 not #2 like many speculate. That will cost upwards of 3 1st rd picks, 2 2nd rd picks and probably Nick Foles and a player. So in order to add to their defense, they will have to use trades and free agency this year.

3. Defense is what every pundit and fan is calling for this offseason and is the best counterargument to mortgaging the future to go up and get Mariota. The Eagles desperately need 2 Corners, a Safety and 1 or 2 LBs, that's a lot to add in one year, especially all rookies. This move free up space to grab 2 of the top DBs in Free Agency (Maxwell, McCourty or Revis?) They already parted ways with aging Trent Cole and Overpriced Brandon Graham to clear up even more Cap space. This trade not only opened up Cap cash, it also adds a player at the positions just vacated by cutting the veterans at a Fixed, Cheaper contract. More important, they added to the defense without using draft picks since they are obviously planning not to have any. The Eagles also released Cary Williams to free up cash for Free Agents

While the "Value" argument is valid, saying Shady holds more value than Alonzo, this move is clearly a case of getting Something for a guy who I believe was getting let go at the end of the season anyway. I think they killed 2 Birds with one stone. They added a position of need with a young talented financially friendly player to a hurting defense without using a draft pick to add him, since the Eagles probably wont have any draft picks of worth for the next 3 years. The Birds didn't franchise Maclin again to work the Cap better for the incoming Free Agents. A contract of length can save them money on this year's Cap by spreading it out over a few years.

I believe when all is said and done, the Eagles will have:
1. Signed Maclin to a long term deal
2. Signed Byron Maxwell
3. Signed Devon McCourty OR somehow work Goldson into the deal with Tampa for #1. Rumors are that he does not fit the Tampa 2 as well as the he would in Billy Davis's defensive system in Philly. (If this hapens, that means Fletcher Cox will most likely be the other player in this Tamp deal)
4. Trade future to Tampa for #1 to draft Marcus Mariota, because Chip is only bringing in guys he knows. Cost: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, Nick Foles and Fletcher Cox.

You heard it here first..

Last edited:

Babylon

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Jersey
Rumor floating around is the Eagles and Bucs are closing in on a deal that will send the #1 pick and Mike Evans to the Birds for three 1sts, three 2nds, 2 3rds and Nick Foles..
Unconfirmed rumor floating around on local radio..

Last edited:

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Rumor floating around is the Eagles and Bucs are closing in on a deal that will send the #1 pick and Mike Evans to the Birds for three 1sts, three 2nds, 2 3rds and Nick Foles..
Unconfirmed rumor floating around on local radio..
Yeah, I've been hearing different versions of that. Tons of picks... hadn't heard the Mike Evans part before though.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
The Bills traded for Matt Cassell. This tells me that they didn't need a quarterback so much as a warm body to hand the ball off to McCoy.

Apr 2010
Oregon
Chip kelly is trying to make an oregon duck pro team. It makes me want to vomit. As if it wasn't bad enough I have to see duck fans everywhere I go, now everyone is going to jump on the Eagles wagon. Maybe I should move to Dallas.

Anyway, switching to Mariota from Foles is batshit crazy. Foles is a future top 5 QB. Mariota is a one trick pony.

Maybe I'm just biased.....