NFL Football Talk 2018

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
Wait, what? You're saying Saquon Barkley won't go until the 6th pick? NO WAY. If he is there at the 5th pick, I am like 99% sure that the Broncos would GRAB him, in a heartbeat.
It's not his talent -- Runningback is no longer a premium spot to pick.

1 QB
2 LT
3 Corner
4 Edge.
5 OLB

Runningback is not a top spot, far from it.

*Broncos will not pick a RB at #5. They have way too good of an organization.

THE WORST player to pick early in the draft is a wideout. It is too difficult to know if a player will transition into the pros from that position.

Last edited:
Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
I look for Cleveland to take Barkley at one and pick up a QB with number 4...the top 3 QB's are close enough that getting one of the three is OK as long as you have Barkley because there is no other RB that is even close to him.....
I don't even like taking a QB in the first round. QBs take quite a while to develop. By the time a first round pick is ready to start, he will be a free agent and walk. I prefer rounds 3-5 for a development QB who can ride the pine for a few years. Always keep three QBs.

1 Starter.
2 Backup (with starting experience).
3 Young player with no experience to carry clipboard and model the team sweater.

Jan 2016
Colorado
It's not his talent -- Runningback is no longer a premium spot to pick.

1 QB
2 LT
3 Corner
4 Edge.
5 OLB

Runningback is not a top spot, far from it.

*Broncos will not pick a RB at #5. They have way too good of an organization.

THE WORST player to pick early in the draft is a wideout. It is too difficult to know if a player will transition into the pros from that position.
I'm telling you the Broncos fanbase will be OUTRAGED if the Broncos use that 5th pick on a quarterback. The Broncos have NOT had good luck using high draft picks on QBs in recent years. Osweiler. Paxton Lynch. I mean, Quenton Nelson would be OK, and if Elway takes Nelson when Barkley is still on the board, there would be some questioning at least, but fans might live with it. But NO QB with that 5th pick! And we don't need a CB, either.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
They have so many paths to success with the 1 and 4 picks, but that is probably how it'll play out. :D
Sam Darnold in the first and at #4 they will pick (I hate to break this to you) Minkah Fitzpatrick (safety). Fitzpatrick is worthy of this kind of pick.

Meet your new safety.

[video=youtube;lELR62DMfbo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HlJmljTLSM[/video]

Last edited:

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Sam Darnold in the first and at #4 they will pick (I hate to break this to you) Minkah Fitzpatrick (safety). Fitzpatrick is worthy of this kind of pick.

Meet your new safety.

[video=youtube;lELR62DMfbo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lELR62DMfbo[/video]
Not my safety. LOL

I do think they'll go Darnold with the top pick though.

Jan 2016
Colorado

Meet your new safety.

[video=youtube;lELR62DMfbo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lELR62DMfbo[/video]
I could see Fitzpatrick with the 4th pick, but in no way do I see Darnold as being worth the first pick in the draft. I've watched him play. Several times. A franchise QB? Yeah, maybe. A superbowl-caliber QB? I doubt it. Just don't see it. Sorry.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
I'm telling you the Broncos fanbase will be OUTRAGED if the Broncos use that 5th pick on a quarterback. The Broncos have NOT had good luck using high draft picks on QBs in recent years. Osweiler. Paxton Lynch. I mean, Quenton Nelson would be OK, and if Elway takes Nelson when Barkley is still on the board, there would be some questioning at least, but fans might live with it. But NO QB with that 5th pick! And we don't need a CB, either.
This is why "fans" don't run teams.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
I could see Fitzpatrick with the 4th pick, but in no way do I see Darnold as being worth the first pick in the draft. I've watched him play. Several times. A franchise QB? Yeah, maybe. A superbowl-caliber QB? I doubt it. Just don't see it. Sorry.
My reasons are based on the interest that the team has already shown in Darnold. He is not the best prospect, but QB is a special situation. THEY WILL NOT select Barkley #1 overall. Probably not even #4.

*I would NEVER pick a QB at #1. It's not a great idea. For every Patton Manning, their are 6 Ryan Leafs.

Last edited:

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Tough to say. Quarterbacks are the biggest gamble. Going from the college game to the pro game is huge. Some can handle it and progress and adjust and some can't. The problem for teams is that when you hit it right, the payoff is enormous. When you don't though, it's gut wrenching. None of these 3-4 top rated quarterbacks are guaranteed to take any team to the Super Bowl. If Darnold is a "franchise QB" for years to come, then that justifies taking him with the spot. There are no guarantees and you want a guy good enough to lead your team for years. Then you hope to build around him. Everyone wants to find Tom Brady in the 6th round but it just doesn't happen (much).

Earlier, the top ten running backs from last year had just five taken in the first round. Among the top ten passers of last year, five were taken in just the first three picks of the first round. Three with the number one overall pick.

But, this is why general manager's get paid the big bucks. It's their head on the line if they make the "wrong choice", no matter how good that choice looked at the time.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
Redskins have just signed Pernell McPhee. I am extremely excited about this as i believe McPhee to be a fierce, over-achieving, stud strong-side linebacker. Ferocious run defender who DEMOLISHES TEs and tackles.

Cool thing about this dude is his ability to collapse the pocket. he doesn't have the sped to get the QB, but he is the best run-stuffing OLB in the NFL. Skins will use him as a hybrid DL on passing downs and a OLB on 1-2 second rounds. He has a motor and tremendous power. Very long arms. He is a tremendous addition.

[video=youtube;KIMxDfwE6wg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIMxDfwE6wg[/video]

He should really play more on the DL than as a linebacker though, due to lack of speed and tight hips.

Last edited: