NFL Head Coach Firings and Hirings

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
West Coast 4 Life
The Brown fired Hue Jackson during the season. Then the Packers fired Mike McCarthy.

Now that season is finished, there's sure to be more to fall.

First was Dirk Koetter in Tampa Bay.

The Jets then got rid of Todd Bowles.

That's four down. Who's next? How many total? Any suggestions for replacements?

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
West Coast 4 Life
The Jaguars announced Doug Marrone will be back. He was one mentioned in a couple of places to have been on the hot seat.

Jul 2014
midwest
Denver, Arizona, and maybe Miami could make coaching changes, too.

I thought that Jax would move Marrone.

They gonna keep the coach and get rid of the QB, but I thought they would both be gone.

Bortles will be somewhere else soon.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
West Coast 4 Life
Denver, Arizona, and maybe Miami could make coaching changes, too.

I thought that Jax would move Marrone.

They gonna keep the coach and get rid of the QB, but I thought they would both be gone.

Bortles will be somewhere else soon.
Exactly. While Tampa Bay did the opposite, announcing that they're going to be bringing Jameis Winston back as their starting quarterback next year and then firing their head coach.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
West Coast 4 Life
One of the guys on the halftime show just said keep an eye on Minnesota. Nothing in concrete yet, but just keep an eye on them.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Carolina announced that Ron Rivera will be back next year. There was some question about him with Carolina seeing a 6-2 start turn into a 6-9 record with a 7-game losing streak, but they ended that streak in New Orleans against a Saints team that was resting a lot of players.

I am waiting for the Broncos to make an announcement about Vance Joseph. The Broncos have now lost at least 10 games for two seasons in a row, for the first time since the 1967-1968 seasons. For the first time in HALF A CENTURY, in other words. These are dark days for the Broncos franchise, with the Bowlen family openly fighting over ownership of the team, growing criticism of John Elway's management and personnel decisions, and the rather shocking rapidity of their decline from winning the Big One just three years ago.

Jan 2016
Colorado
One of the guys on the halftime show just said keep an eye on Minnesota. Nothing in concrete yet, but just keep an eye on them.
I saw a very telling statistic today. It said Kirk Cousins' record against teams with winning records is a startlingly poor 4-24. And that was before the loss to Chicago today. So make that 4-25. The guy CANNOT beat GOOD teams. Period.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
West Coast 4 Life
Of the jobs open so far, the most enticing one has to obviously be the Browns. They've got some serious talent and the majority of it is very young. Really good building blocks.

The Packers is also an enticing job for a prospective coach. There usually aren't many head coaching opportunities where you get to walk in to a franchise featuring one of the best quarterbacks in the game. They have some personnel issues and an age problem, but that's a workable situation.

The Jets are also an interesting one. They've got their hoped for franchise quarterback and some young talent at wide receiver and in the secondary. But the main thing is they look to have over a hundred million dollars to spend in free agency this offseason as well as the third overall pick in the upcoming draft. It's the Jets, so they can mess all of that up, but for someone looking to be a head coach that's not a bad situation to step into.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
West Coast 4 Life
Another one of those insider rumors going around is that John Harbaugh not only saved his job with the Ravens' late-season run into the playoffs but complicated the coaching hunt for a couple teams who were hoping he was going to get fired so they could go after him.