NFL Head Coach Firings and Hirings

Jan 2016
Colorado
And it looks like the best of both worlds for the Broncos as they're apparently going to hire Vic Fangio, a very good defensive coach, as their head coach and bring back former head coach Gary Kubiak as their offensive coordinator.

Sources: Broncos reach agreement with Fangio
Yeah, heard that about an hour ago, and was like, HELL YEAH! I like the combination. What's not to like? I mean, Kubiak won a Super Bowl as the head coach. I wonder who the defensive coordinator will be. Maybe Fangio himself will handle the defensive calls?

Now, they just need to fix the QB position. And the offensive line. And the thin wide receiver position. And the lack of depth at tight end. And the glaring weaknesses in the secondary. And the....

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
And it looks like the Jets have settled on their man, former Dolphins head coach Adam Gase.

Sources: Gase expected to be Jets' next coach

This is a gamble, in my opinion. There was a lot of hype around Gase when he went to the Dolphins but he sure didn't make them a contender. That being said, I'm not sure how much talent he had to work with and then right before this season they traded away quite possibly their best offensive player.

We'll wait and see.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Yeah, heard that about an hour ago, and was like, HELL YEAH! I like the combination. What's not to like? I mean, Kubiak won a Super Bowl as the head coach. I wonder who the defensive coordinator will be. Maybe Fangio himself will handle the defensive calls?

Now, they just need to fix the QB position. And the offensive line. And the thin wide receiver position. And the lack of depth at tight end. And the glaring weaknesses in the secondary. And the....
I like the combo hire too. My only worry is that there have been times in the past where bringing a former successful head coach back into a subordinate role can be difficult to manage within the organization because when a few road blocks are hit, some eyes will turn to the OC in this case and wonder if they wouldn't be better off with him in the top job. Hopefully, they can avoid that because this, on paper, is a pretty encouraging hire.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
And the Browns seem to have settled on Freddie Kitchens.

Sources: Browns to name Kitchens head coach

I like this hire too. The change in Mayfield's performance was night to day once Kitchens took over as offensive coordinator. They could've possibly left him in that spot but then would've risked losing him to another team who wanted to plug him in as head coach.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I like the combo hire too. My only worry is that there have been times in the past where bringing a former successful head coach back into a subordinate role can be difficult to manage within the organization because when a few road blocks are hit, some eyes will turn to the OC in this case and wonder if they wouldn't be better off with him in the top job. Hopefully, they can avoid that because this, on paper, is a pretty encouraging hire.
Kubiak himself did NOT want the head coaching position again, did not want all the stress that goes with that position, it affected his health in a very detrimental way the last time around. So it certainly will NOT be him making any waves from below if they fall upon troubled times, at least. I think Fangio and Kubiak will get along just fine, am not worried on that score. Yes, some OTHER people might start openly asking if it would be better to have Kubiak in the top position if the Broncos go off on another losing streak next year. If you start hearing that publicly, though, I think Kubiak himself would do his best to quash that kind of talk right down.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Kubiak himself did NOT want the head coaching position again, did not want all the stress that goes with that position, it affected his health in a very detrimental way the last time around. So it certainly will NOT be him making any waves from below if they fall upon troubled times, at least. I think Fangio and Kubiak will get along just fine, am not worried on that score. Yes, some OTHER people might start openly asking if it would be better to have Kubiak in the top position if the Broncos go off on another losing streak next year. If you start hearing that publicly, though, I think Kubiak himself would do his best to quash that kind of talk right down.
Yeah, I wasn't talking about Kubiak making waves. He seems above that. I hope Fangio and Kubiak will get along just fine though I don't see anything to say they even know each other really. I'm just saying it's a natural thing that has happened before when a pro franchise brings back a former head coach who had success and place him in a subordinate position. I'm not predicting it will happen. I'm just saying it's one thing they should hopefully have a plan in places to shoot down if and when it happens. If it starts, it can turn into a cancer or poison.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Yeah, I wasn't talking about Kubiak making waves. He seems above that. I hope Fangio and Kubiak will get along just fine though I don't see anything to say they even know each other really. I'm just saying it's a natural thing that has happened before when a pro franchise brings back a former head coach who had success and place him in a subordinate position. I'm not predicting it will happen. I'm just saying it's one thing they should hopefully have a plan in places to shoot down if and when it happens. If it starts, it can turn into a cancer or poison.
What ARE some other examples of franchises that have brought back former head coaches, and put them in a subordinate position, by the way?

Kubiak never really LEFT the Broncos organization, you know. He certainly wasn't fired! He had just won the Super Bowl! He had legitimate health issues. The last few years, they have been using his considerable knowledge as a consultant and talent evaluator, and I think he has helped them in making smart draft choices.....

Jun 2007
Wisconsin
The Green Bay Packers may be the first of the 8 coachless teams to hire someone.

There's a few different strategies when hiring a head coach. You can go the experienced head coach route, the college coach route, the longtime coordinator route, or the hot young coaching prospect route. It appears the Packers, if this hiring comes true, will be going with the latter. Trying to find their own Sean McVay.

Sources: Pack expected to hire Titans OC LaFleur

LaFleur spent last season as the Tennessee Titans' offensive coordinator and previously worked under Sean McVay for the Los Angeles Rams and Kyle Shanahan with the Atlanta Falcons.

Both McVay and Shanahan are considered offensive innovators, and the Packers want their next head coach to get quarterback Aaron Rodgers back to an MVP level.

LaFleur would replace Mike McCarthy, who was 135-85-2 -- including playoffs -- but was fired with four games left in his 13th season as Green Bay's coach. The Packers finished 6-9-1.

A source said LaFleur would like to keep defensive coordinator Mike Pettine on board. Pettine just completed his first season with the Packers.

The Packers zeroed in on LaFleur after interviewing 10 candidates: former Indianapolis Colts and Detroit Lions head coach Jim Caldwell; former Colts head coach Chuck Pagano; Packers interim head coach Joe Philbin; New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels; Patriots linebackers coach/defensive playcaller Brian Flores; New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael Jr.; Saints assistant head coach/tight ends coach Dan Campbell; Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken; and former Miami Dolphins head coach Adam Gase.
The female Packer fans are going crazy over LaFluer. He makes Rodgers look like a middle of the Packe(er) type of guy!