NFL Head Coach Firings and Hirings

Jan 2016
Colorado
And it looks like the Jets have settled on their man, former Dolphins head coach Adam Gase.

Sources: Gase expected to be Jets' next coach

This is a gamble, in my opinion. There was a lot of hype around Gase when he went to the Dolphins but he sure didn't make them a contender. That being said, I'm not sure how much talent he had to work with and then right before this season they traded away quite possibly their best offensive player.

We'll wait and see.
Heh. I'm honestly GLAD the Broncos got the guy they did. They may have gotten the best candidate out there, methinks. Although Arians is not bad for Tampa Bay. But I don't know about some of these other hires. Gase? Meh!

Jul 2014
midwest
What ARE some other examples of franchises that have brought back former head coaches, and put them in a subordinate position, by the way?

Kubiak never really LEFT the Broncos organization, you know. He certainly wasn't fired! He had just won the Super Bowl! He had legitimate health issues. The last few years, they have been using his considerable knowledge as a consultant and talent evaluator, and I think he has helped them in making smart draft choices.....
Billy Martin was hired and fired by the Yankees a few times.

As I remember it, he was always brought back as manager, though.

Been quite a while...

Jan 2016
Colorado
Billy Martin was hired and fired by the Yankees a few times.

As I remember it, he was always brought back as manager, though.

Been quite a while...
Yeah, so I don't think that's a good example, because I don't think Billy Martin was ever put in a SUBORDINATE position when he was brought back. Kubiak is going to be put in a subordinate position, but the thing is, I don't think he minds at ALL. In fact, I think it's what he WANTS. He wants to coach again.....but he doesn't want all the stress of being a head coach. That almost killed him, the last time around, even though he won a Super Bowl....

Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...
I wish that the Redskins could have signed Todd Bowles. They may be pushing to get Gregg Williams. We should NEVER have let him go.

Jul 2014
midwest
Yeah, so I don't think that's a good example, because I don't think Billy Martin was ever put in a SUBORDINATE position when he was brought back. Kubiak is going to be put in a subordinate position, but the thing is, I don't think he minds at ALL. In fact, I think it's what he WANTS. He wants to coach again.....but he doesn't want all the stress of being a head coach. That almost killed him, the last time around, even though he won a Super Bowl....
Yeah, I don't remember him as anything but manager.

The reason I brung him up is he's probably STILL the most famous example of a coach/manager brought back by a major sports franchise.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Yeah, I don't remember him as anything but manager.

The reason I brung him up is he's probably STILL the most famous example of a coach/manager brought back by a major sports franchise.
Yeah, but that was a circus, what was going on between George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin. Or maybe a merry-go-round would be a better analogy. Or a revolving door?

Jul 2014
midwest
Yeah, but that was a circus, what was going on between George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin. Or maybe a merry-go-round would be a better analogy. Or a revolving door?
Martin and Steinbrenner were MADE for each other.

Both alpha dog, type A personalities.

You're right, it WAS a circus, and being in New York made it all the crazier...

Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...
If you are a GM in the national football league, you should make your teams top-heavy in OFFENSE.

1 Invest most of your draft picks in offense.
2 Acquire most of your defensive players through free agency.
3 Always trade for a proven wide receiver and avoid using high draft pics on them.
4 Trade for a starting qb and then use rounds 3-6 to draft the back-up qb ALWAYS KEEP THREE QB's and give them all reps in practice.
5 The most important cogs to your running game is a pro-bowl caliber center and a good blocking tight end.
6 Do not draft for talent as much as for durability; one player down on the offensive line can mean a lost season.

Great defenses are over-rated in today's game. Look at the teams still standing in the playoffs - every one of them an offensive jaugernaut.

Jan 2016
Colorado
If you are a GM in the national football league, you should make your teams top-heavy in OFFENSE.

3 Always trade for a proven wide receiver and avoid using high draft pics on them.
4 Trade for a starting qb and then use rounds 3-6 to draft the back-up qb ALWAYS KEEP THREE QB's and give them all reps in practice.
5 The most important cogs to your running game is a pro-bowl caliber center and a good blocking tight end.
6 Do not draft for talent as much as for durability; one player down on the offensive line can mean a lost season.

Great defenses are over-rated in today's game. Look at the teams still standing in the playoffs - every one of them an offensive jaugernaut.
This year, at least, you're certainly right. Of the 12 playoff teams, the top four scoring defenses-----Chicago, Baltimore, Houston, and Dallas------those teams are all gone. The top four scoring offenses-----Kansas City, the LA Rams, New Orleans, and New England-----are exactly the four teams still left standing.

Having said that, don't know if I universally endorse your recommendations. The Browns drafted Baker Mayfield, and I think that's going to work out just fine for them. But they are certainly interesting. I agree about the importance of a "pro-bowl caliber center and a good blocking tight end".

Jan 2016
Colorado

P.S. Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski made some FEROCIOUS blocks in that mauling of the Chargers yesterday. I'm not sure he's ever gotten enough credit for his BLOCKING. That guy is a frigging CAVEMAN.

Gronk run down field. Gronk catch ball. Gronk run over stupid guy in his way. Gronk score touchdown. Gronk roar to crowd. Yay Gronk.

I guess he's gonna consider retirement after this year. GOOD.