Nike Takes a Knee for Kaepernick

May 2019
West Haven
If that were the case, they wouldn't have offered it to begin with. They did that to defer to the Chinese government. So if you're keeping score; Nike is pulling an American flag shoe because "oppression", while at the same time kowtowing to the Chinese Communist government.
I have no idea what your first sentence is supposed to mean.
Of course they deferred to the Chinese government. The shoe was going to be sold in China. If the Chinese government says you aren't going to sell that shoe here then you can't sell the shoe in China. Why would Nike continue to make a shoe it can't sell??

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I have no idea what your first sentence is supposed to mean.
Of course they deferred to the Chinese government. The shoe was going to be sold in China. If the Chinese government says you aren't going to sell that shoe here then you can't sell the shoe in China. Why would Nike continue to make a shoe it can't sell??
If they want to act like champions of social justice then they could at least pretend.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Au conntraire, mon ami. Not supporting Nike per se....just not getting pissed about how they do business. It IS their company and that is the bottom line. This isn't much different from that Chic-Filet bullshit. When that was the headline news a whole slew of pubs loudly and vigorously and hellbent to leather rushed to defend them stating that it was their company and their right to run it as they saw fit.
So, all this whining and crying over this is 100% hypocritical.
*shrugs*
Agreed it's their business and they are free to put Chinese flags on all of their shoes while I'm free to buy New Balance shoes made in America and boycott Starbucks for being anti-police. God Bless America!

Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...
Protests can be scary depending upon the protesters. That's their problem. There are laws. Anyone who breaks the law should be arrested. I'm good with this. Are you?
That isn't the issue as far as I'm concerned. "Drowning people out" is the antithesis of free speech. I do not like it when antifa does it or anyone else. Why do we need to counter-protest everything we disagree with? Why can't we just listen? I support freedom of speech - right or left wing. People who are for the 1st Amendment, generally don't participate in "counter-protests."

Jun 2014
United States
That isn't the issue as far as I'm concerned. "Drowning people out" is the antithesis of free speech. I do not like it when antifa does it or anyone else. Why do we need to counter-protest everything we disagree with? Why can't we just listen? I support freedom of speech - right or left wing. People who are for the 1st Amendment, generally don't participate in "counter-protests."

What a crock of shit!

First protester out of the gate rules? Anyone who disagree with the first protester must remain silent in order to honor the 1st amendment?

That's fucking insane.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
You tried to “drown” me out at the beginning of this conversation. Yes, I agree it’s important to consider different views, but by the time it gets to the BLM march stage or the Unite the Right rally stage, it’s not really about discussion anymore, is it?