Nine reasons for scepticism, part 1

Czernobog

Former Staff
Dec 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Over the next few posts, I'm going to present arguments in favour of, if not atheism, then, at least, healthy theistic scepticism for debate, discussion, and consideration.

• Of the many existing religions, which one is true?

According to the Pew Research Center (2012), Christianity has 2.2 billion adherents, Islam 1.6 billion, and Hinduism 1.1 billion. At least ten other contemporary religions claim between 1 million and 500 million believers.

Dana, Dan. The Reason Revolution: Atheism, Secular Humanism, and the Collapse of Religion (Kindle Locations 87-88). . Kindle Edition.

Now think about what that means? The differences between all of these belief systems are not minor: some believe in reincarnation, some are polytheistic, There is no rational way to claim that all of these belief systems worship the same God. So, how statistically probable is it that you just happened to be born in the one region of the world where your particular religion is the one correct, accurate, and "true" path to God; especially considering that all of the people born in the regions of the world where their religion is the "norm" also believe the same thing.

Then add the some 100,000 different religions that have existed through history. Man has been inventing, and reinventing deities since language was first discovered. If we now think that Greek mythology is quaint, and baseless, what, 5,000 years from now, might Earth's inhabitants think of your religion? If we know that belief in Apollo is silly, because there is no evidence to support such a belief, why, then, is belief in any other God, without evidence, any less silly?

Oct 2007
Utah
Perhaps the "true" path or religion or spiritual journey is absolute truth to the person on that path, relative truth to everyone else.

I was raised in a strict Mormon home, in a largely Mormon-dominated community. That is my "truth". It's my cultural and spiritual identity. That is not everyone else's "truth".

Even though the Mormon teaching is that the LDS church is the "one true church", I no longer believe that, even though I still see the Mormon faith as one that is "true" to me and my own personal experience.

May 2012
By the wall
There is a theory that all Gods are actually the same one.

He just presents Himself in different forms to different cultures.

Its not about what name you call him or what ritual you believe, its about your faith in Him.

Nov 2014
TN
The bible says people are drawn to God, if they don't know the real God is the reason they create other false gods.

Now, the diffrences are minor.

All have an after life, all have the same similar commandment such as don't murder, don't steal, ... etc... .

May 2012
By the wall
The bible says people are drawn to God, if they don't know the real God is the reason they create other false gods.

Now, the diffrences are minor.

All have an after life, all have the same similar commandment such as don't murder, don't steal, ... etc... .
Exactly. In Judaism you show your faith by following rituals, in Christianity you show it by accepting Jesus as your savior.

All other religions have something similar.

There are a couple out there that are way off but those are more cults than a religion. Scientology for example.