Nixon: Neurotic, Wife Beater, Drunk, Suicidal

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Wow. Watching the BBC documentary "The Secret World of Richard Nixon."

He actually looked at ringing the white house with U.S. military troops which would obey him and ignore the chain of command.

The Joint Chiefs took action to prevent this. Schlessinger bound the military to ignore orders from Nixon to fire nuclear weapons or to mobilize troops to D.C.

Etc.

Your thoughts?

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.

He actually looked at ringing the white house with U.S. military troops which would obey him and ignore the chain of command.

The Joint Chiefs took action to prevent this. Schlessinger bound the military to ignore orders from Nixon to fire nuclear weapons or to mobilize troops to D.C.

Etc.

Your thoughts?
Would not surprise me in the least.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader

Etc.

Your thoughts?
Is that on Netflix or Prime or something? Sounds interesting. (I'm a Nixon "fan.")

Jul 2015
Florida

Etc.

Your thoughts?
You left out the BIGGY!! Though by your description, you probably didn't need to. PARANOID! I observed it myself but being young, I didn't have the words for it. He was completely awkward and the most 'uncomfortable in his own skin' for any politician that I can think of. BAD BAD character flaws to have when you are PRESIDENT. But did you mean KISSINGER? I don't know who Schlessinger was in Nixon's cabinet??

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Nixon broke the law and derailed a peace offer from North Vietnam. He also extracted an agreement from South Vietnam to carry out the war effort in a manner intended to help elect Nixon.

Anna Schnolt, who spied for South Vietnam, carried the messages between the president of South Vietnam and Nixon, the summer before the 1968 election.

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
You left out the BIGGY!! Though by your description, you probably didn't need to. PARANOID! I observed it myself but being young, I didn't have the words for it. He was completely awkward and the most 'uncomfortable in his own skin' for any politician that I can think of. BAD BAD character flaws to have when you are PRESIDENT. But did you mean KISSINGER? I don't know who Schlessinger was in Nixon's cabinet??
This documentary posits that Nixon engaged in the dirty tricks of the 1972 campaign because he thought JFK had stolen the 1960 election, most notably by labor unions fixing precincts in California.

(Are my dates correct?)

Jan 2016
Colorado

Etc.

Your thoughts?
Wife beater? I did not know that, had never heard that before. Though I HAD heard that Richard Nixon had to see 'Deep Throat' four times before he got it down Pat.

Sorry. I can never resist that one. I'm a bad boy.

Jun 2014
United States

James R. Schlesinger was Secretary of Defense under Nixon beginning in 1973. He also served under Ford and then was appointed Secretary of Energy under Carter.