No More Home School For Californians

M

michaelr

Well It is a sad day for parents who think that they may know what is best for their children. It seems that home schooling will become a thing of the past. This aggravates me as I am sure that this will be a national trend.

.PDF here........

M

Michele

How so ?

From what I read this pertains to a single family with eight children, of which two minor children whose attorneys, on behalf of the children (or most likely the state) want the children place in a school setting due to "that the home schooling the children were receiving was “lousy,†“meager,†and “bad,â€" The rest is just legal gobbly gook pertaining to state law.

This case does not, however, pertain to everyone homeschooling there children in California. In fact, homeschooling is as safe as ever in California.....

hence, your title is misleading.

M

michaelr

How so ?

From what I read this pertains to a single family with eight children, of which two minor children whose attorneys, on behalf of the children (or most likely the state) want the children place in a school setting due to "that the home schooling the children were receiving was “lousy,†“meager,†and “bad,â€" The rest is just legal gobbly gook pertaining to state law.

This case does not, however, pertain to everyone homeschooling there children in California. In fact, homeschooling is as safe as ever in California.....

hence, your title is misleading.
Sorry Michele but this is a single case, you just wait and see. Question for you, what happens when kids in public schools get the same scores, nothing and they do not enforce home schools for them. This will turn out ugly for home schoolers as this sets two standards.

M

Michele

Question for you, what happens when kids in public schools get the same scores, nothing and they do not enforce home schools for them. This will turn out ugly for home schoolers as this sets two standards.

I dont understand what your saying there.

Most home schooled children in the state of California (or at least that I know) are done so under educational quidelines and do so successfully. I hardly see the State taking on home schooling because a few parents are lousy at it.

We will wait and see, but my money is nothing coming about with it. Just because "some" parents do a lousy job, doesnt mean others do and that the state will set out to punish them also. We also dont know the complete background of this particular family.

Just to add, Im a parent IN the State of California who has home-schooled one of my children before, and in fact, one of my daughters best friends is here right now, and she is homeschooled. There is clearly no way the State will take this on.

M

michaelr

I dont understand what your saying there.

Most home schooled children in the state of California (or at least that I know) are done so under educational quidelines and do so successfully. I hardly see the State taking on home schooling because a few parents are lousy at it.

We will wait and see, but my money is nothing coming about with it. Just because "some" parents do a lousy job, doesnt mean others do and that the state will set out to punish them also. We also dont know the complete background of this particular family.

Just to add, Im a parent IN the State of California who has home-schooled one of my children before, and in fact, one of my daughters best friends is here right now, and she is homeschooled. There is clearly no way the State will take this on.
From all the info that I get home schooled children do better. The state did take this on with this case, and I fear that it will have far reaching implications.

Good for you and I wish more parents would home school. I sent my children to public school, but worked very hard with them, I will do the same with my grand daughter. It IMO is the only way to make public education work.

G

Goldwater

The part that has me confused, is that most of the articles you find on the internet about which is better, homeschooling or public schools, are written by the Homeschooling industry, religious folks, and Honeschoolers themselves.

What I would be curious to see if it wasn't private information is......what are the average SAT scores for Homeschoolers vs Public schoolers. Unless Homies are having trouble getting into college because of being a homie, what's the harm.

M

michaelr

The part that has me confused, is that most of the articles you find on the internet about which is better, homeschooling or public schools, are written by the Homeschooling industry, religious folks, and Honeschoolers themselves.

What I would be curious to see if it wasn't private information is......what are the average SAT scores for Homeschoolers vs Public schoolers. Unless Homies are having trouble getting into college because of being a homie, what's the harm.
Well Goldwater you just gave yourself a job. I am sure that you will do good at it and I promise to read all of your info and trust your integrity.

B

Bourne

Let me get this straight. Because of one, just one case, you're implying that this is the beginning of a far reaching conspiracy by the State of California to end home schooling?