No! My author died. :( RIP, Ann Rule

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
True-crime author Ann Rule dies at age 83 - The Washington Post
[HR][/HR]SEATTLE — True-crime writer Ann Rule signed a contract to write a book about an unknown Seattle serial killer six months before he was identified as her co-worker Ted Bundy, who shared the night shift at Seattle’s Crisis Clinic.

The woman credited by her publisher with reinventing the previously male-dominated true crime genre by focusing on the victims has died at age 83.

Rule wrote more than 30 books, including “The Stranger Beside Me,” which profiled Bundy.

[HR][/HR]
Brilliant, brilliant woman. Spoiled me for most other true crime authors.

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
Ann Rule was my favorite True Crime author. Small Sacrifices was my first read from her, and I was hooked. The book was given to me by a Navy buddy while we were deployed during Desert Shield/Desert Storm, and upon completing it I SatCommed my family and told them to load up their next 'care package' with her books. RIP.

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Ann Rule was my favorite True Crime author. Small Sacrifices was my first read from her, and I was hooked. The book was given to me by a Navy buddy while we were deployed during Desert Shield/Desert Storm, and upon completing it I SatCommed my family and told them to load up their next 'care package' with her books. RIP.
/handshake cross the aisle

Did you read any other true crime authors? I'm reading M. William Phelps right now, about halfway through this one. Nowhere near, in my estimation, the author Ann was.

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
/handshake cross the aisle

Did you read any other true crime authors? I'm reading M. William Phelps right now, about halfway through this one. Nowhere near, in my estimation, the author Ann was.
I enjoyed Double Jeopardy by Bob Hill. It's the story of Brenda Schaefer and Mel Ignatow, who was a sexual sadist who brutally murdered her and was acquitted....only to have photographic proof of his crime discovered in his former home after the verdict.

Bitter Blood by Jerry Bledsoe was good.

I've read so many, I can't remember them all. But I think Ann Rule was the master of the craft....I've read at least 25 of her books.

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
[MENTION=15365]BDBoop[/MENTION] Ann's daughter, Leslie Rule is following in her footsteps, but I haven't read her yet.

Last edited:

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
Oh thank you.

So that case you just mentioned - double jeopardy would apply, would it not?
Yes, he could not be tried for her murder again, but he was tried and convicted for perjuring himself on the stand (denied killing her), and, if memory serves, was sentenced to 8 years. Small consolation.