No Social Media: 1 Year

Nov 2015
UK
I left my phone at work the other day. When I picked it up this morning, there were 7 missed calls, 3 texts and 3 hangout messages from the girlfriend. She was trying to get cover at work so she could come down to see what's up. She was in tears. I told her, I had left my phone at work accidentally.

How did we survive without technology? Every year, the internet should be switched off for a week, see how people get on.

Reactions: johnflesh

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
How did we survive without technology? Every year, the internet should be switched off for a week, see how people get on.
Not as easily as in the past. We have built a world around technology. And a 1-week-long Shabbat would be a bit much to take ... 3 days is hard enough.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I have absolutely no interest in forgoing social media. Pay me enough and I will do without it but otherwise fuhgeddaboudit. I must have my politics fix everyday.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I want to do it to see how it would be. I've considered not using Twitter any more (I post art and music, not much else) but I figure if I'm going to leave one, it might be a good time to leave all - for a year and just see.

I wager I'd be as informed as everyone else, just not getting that information coated in toxicity.

Reactions: Jets
Nov 2015
UK
Not as easily as in the past. We have built a world around technology. And a 1-week-long Shabbat would be a bit much to take ... 3 days is hard enough.
That's your problem in putting your eggs into one basket.

At my local petrol station, if there's a power cut, they close. I understand the pumps won't work but they can't sell food from the shop without electric for the tills.

Technology is apparently called progress.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Technology is a dependency. But there is a massive difference between needing power to stay alive and needing a smartphone.

Jun 2014
United States
It would be hard because its so much a part of my routine. It could be done, and maybe I would be better for it... but at least for now I certainly don't want to. lol

I have absolutely no interest in forgoing social media. Pay me enough and I will do without it but otherwise fuhgeddaboudit. I must have my politics fix everyday.

I could but

I prefer not to....

So, just curious...

What is the minimum amount of cash that someone would have to offer you in order to persuade you to give up social media for one year?

Jan 2014
California
This is not a challenge this is a discussion of a challenge.

Challenge: No social media (that includes Political Hotwure) for one full year.

- No posting on social media. Twitter, Facebook, Forums, SnapChat, etc.
- No reading social media.
- If you get news that includes social media, you source and read the news but skip over any instances of social media that is included.

Do you think you could do it?
Mr. flesh,

I could, no problem, but you guys would miss me too much.