No Wonder the Economy Sucks

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
This single chart goes a long way to explaining our anemic economy. We need to remedy this if we ever hope to have a decent economy again. What this means is that not enough money is flowing through the economy.

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
This single chart goes a long way to explaining our anemic economy. We need to remedy this if we ever hope to have a decent economy again. What this means is that not enough money is flowing through the economy.
I doubt few people will disagree with this. That said, too many people will disagree on what policies should be put into play to remedy that problem.

Jmo

Last edited:

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
Confusing. Not for nothing, but it seems quite the perilous high wire act to claim the economy has much improved under Obama, while simultaneously pointing to reasons why the economy sucks....

('reasons' that I'm certain could be "fixed" if the citizenry would only stop listening to "regressives", and finally agree to the importance of giving state collectivists more money and more power.)

And all this time, I thought the Keynesian Klowns' stimulus was an unheralded success. I thought this was evidenced by Wall Street's record breaking gains, and unemployment numbers declining to "6.1%"....

I thought Obamacare had spurred economic expansion...

I thought Mr. Wonderful saying "...and what I want to do is build on the 5 million jobs that we've created over the last 30 months in the private sector alone" during the 2012 debates suggested that economic nirvana...if you'll only vote to reelect me .... was at hand.

Per usual, progs want it both ways.

Last edited:

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Confusing. Not for nothing, but it seems quite the perilous high wire act to claim the economy has much improved under Obama, while simultaneously pointing to reasons why the economy sucks....

('reasons' that I'm certain could be "fixed" if the citizenry would only stop listening to "regressives", and finally agree to the importance of giving state collectivists more money and more power.)

And all this time, I thought the Keynesian Klowns' stimulus was an unheralded success. I thought this was evidenced by Wall Street's record breaking gains, and unemployment numbers declining to "6.1%"....

I thought Obamacare had spurred economic expansion...

I thought Mr. Wonderful saying "...and what I want to do is build on the 5 million jobs that we've created over the last 30 months in the private sector alone." during the 2012 debates suggested that economic nirvana...if you'll only vote to reelect me.... was at hand.

Per usual, progs want it both ways.
I have never said the economy has much improved under Obama. I've only stated that the economy would be worse without the stimulus.

I couldn't really give a rat's ass about Wall Street. You've never read a single word from me touting Wall Street's numbers as evidence of a decent economy.

It's too soon to know if the AFA has spurred entrepreneurship.

Obama has created more jobs than his predecessor ever did. And at the same time the number of public sector jobs has dropped considerably under Obama - to our detriment.

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
Schrödinger's Economy...

Hinging solely on the left's minute-by-minute political needs, it can be simultaneously dead and vibrantly alive.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Do you have anything substantive to contribute to the thread?
Stiglitz goes over this thoroughly in his new book, The Price of Inequality.

Joseph E. Stiglitz’s new book, “The Price of Inequality,” is the single most comprehensive counter*argument to both Democratic neoliberalism and Republican laissez-faire theories. While credible economists running the gamut from center right to center left describe our bleak present as the result of seemingly unstoppable developments — globalization and automation, a self-*replicating establishment built on “meritocratic” competition, the debt-driven collapse of 2008 — Stiglitz stands apart in his defiant rejection of such notions of inevitability. He seeks to shift the terms of the debate
Stiglitz may prove most prescient when he warns of a society governed by “rules of the game that weaken the bargaining strength of workers vis-à-vis capital.” At present, he says,“the dearth of jobs and the asymmetries in globalization have created competition for jobs in which workers have lost and the owners of capital have won.” We are becoming a country “in which the rich live in gated communities, send their children to expensive schools and have access to first-rate medical care. Meanwhile, the rest live in a world marked by insecurity, at best mediocre education and in effect rationed health care.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/b...by-joseph-e-stiglitz.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Your chart shows that Stiglitz is 100% accurate, but what does he know, just another Nobel Prize winning economist, when we can depend on random, anonymous internet shills to give us the "real" truth, eh?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I have never said the economy has much improved under Obama. I've only stated that the economy would be worse without the stimulus.

I couldn't really give a rat's ass about Wall Street. You've never read a single word from me touting Wall Street's numbers as evidence of a decent economy.

It's too soon to know if the AFA has spurred entrepreneurship.

Obama has created more jobs than his predecessor ever did. And at the same time the number of public sector jobs has dropped considerably under Obama - to our detriment.
I read something in a business article that was saying how a lot of Americans are privately stressed and upset because they keep hearing how great the stock market is and how much profit all these companies are making. It said that they feel low self worth but keep quiet because they think its just them and everyone else is doing better because the media keeps showing how high the stock market has gotten. They cited that as a reason why people aren't angry and demanding anything change, they blame themselves for them not getting raises or increases in their income. It also mentioned how people's health is even suffering because they are stressed and many times end up taking on more than one job instead of fighting for higher wages in their main job. I think the media does a disservice by constantly telling us we are doing "better than ever" just because of the stock market. I have found that there is a huge disconnect between the stock market and the average American who cant even afford to invest in it anymore.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I read something in a business article that was saying how a lot of Americans are privately stressed and upset because they keep hearing how great the stock market is and how much profit all these companies are making. It said that they feel low self worth but keep quiet because they think its just them and everyone else is doing better because the media keeps showing how high the stock market has gotten. They cited that as a reason why people aren't angry and demanding anything change, they blame themselves for them not getting raises or increases in their income. It also mentioned how people's health is even suffering because they are stressed and many times end up taking on more than one job instead of fighting for higher wages in their main job. I think the media does a disservice by constantly telling us we are doing "better than ever" just because of the stock market. I have found that there is a huge disconnect between the stock market and the average American who cant even afford to invest in it anymore.
That's because a lot of the talking heads on the TV are part of the group making good money in the stock market. So they just assume everyone else is. They think they're average Joes and Janes when many of them aren't.