North Carolina GOP hammers through budget vote amid 9/11 ceremonies

Oct 2009
Kansas
Negotiations have been going on all summer on a compromise budget that Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper will sign.

Though Republicans own a large majority in the N.C. House of Representatives (65-55), they do not have 3/5 of the seats required to override.

So, while House Democrats were attending 9/11 memorial ceremonies this morning, the GOP organized a surprise vote and passed it.

Only 9 Democrats managed to get back in time, so a quorum was established and 3/5 of those present voted Aye.

Democrats say that not only was this a surprise, but that they had received personal assurances that no votes would occur during the ceremonies.

This all begs a simple question ... what does the Republican Party believe in?

If lying about and exploiting 9/11 is OK, what is not OK, as long as it advances your political interests?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I hate to see this and I hate to have to say this, but I do think some republicans (not all) are sort of banking on doing crap like this because they know the democrats wont stand up to this. I have some local experience in politics and we have a saying that "the GOP brings guns to a fight and democrats bring butter knives." It sounds silly but we have seen instances when this happens. Its sort of like the mob to an extent. At this point the progressives have seemed to understand this and attempt to even the playing field but many establishment democrats still seem to roll over. As a side note, I dont wish to broadbrush either side but there are those that fit the description particularly in todays politics.

Oct 2009
Kansas
I hate to see this and I hate to have to say this, but I do think some republicans (not all) are sort of banking on doing crap like this because they know the democrats wont stand up to this. I have some local experience in politics and we have a saying that "the GOP brings guns to a fight and democrats bring butter knives." It sounds silly but we have seen instances when this happens. Its sort of like the mob to an extent. At this point the progressives have seemed to understand this and attempt to even the playing field but many establishment democrats still seem to roll over. As a side note, I dont wish to broadbrush either side but there are those that fit the description particularly in todays politics.
OK. So the answer is "Republicans do not, at the end of the day, believe in anything more than their own political success, and that motivates them to do really unscrupulous things that nonetheless enhance their power by a significant measure." Understood. I agree. Democrats have to find a solution to this. It shouldn't entail doing the same crap.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
OK. So the answer is "Republicans do not, at the end of the day, believe in anything more than their own political success, and that motivates them to do really unscrupulous things that nonetheless enhance their power by a significant measure." Understood. I agree. Democrats have to find a solution to this. It shouldn't entail doing the same crap.
There are several memes on social media where the GOP is Lucy and Democrats are Charlie Brown. There are lots of other scenarios where this sort of thing has happened. Yes GOP loves power always has. Follow or get out of the way has sort of always been a mantra when it came down to it. Sure it was family values and fluff but they all followed. Democrats have always been more rosy glasses type of purists who wanted to do the right thing or follow better people. It just doesnt work that way, it should but it doesnt. Real life is mean and nasty. If democrats dont find an answer to this its only going to get worse, four more states have newer stricter voter ID laws going into affect and I just read where over 1600 polling locations have closed for 2020. Its going to take something massive to make that change.

Report: More than 1600 polling places have closed since the Supreme Court gutted the Voting Rights Act

Jul 2014
CA
There are several memes on social media where the GOP is Lucy and Democrats are Charlie Brown. There are lots of other scenarios where this sort of thing has happened. Yes GOP loves power always has. Follow or get out of the way has sort of always been a mantra when it came down to it. Sure it was family values and fluff but they all followed. Democrats have always been more rosy glasses type of purists who wanted to do the right thing or follow better people. It just doesnt work that way, it should but it doesnt. Real life is mean and nasty. If democrats dont find an answer to this its only going to get worse, four more states have newer stricter voter ID laws going into affect and I just read where over 1600 polling locations have closed for 2020. Its going to take something massive to make that change.

Report: More than 1600 polling places have closed since the Supreme Court gutted the Voting Rights Act
Then they need to file lawsuit after lawsuit. It worked in NC - I doubt the stupid "lottery" system will be upheld.

Oct 2009
Kansas
This thread is still pretty young, so I'm willing to grant the benefit of the doubt that it just hasn't been seen yet, but if we still have no meaningful commentary from forum Republicans in a day or so, that will pretty well establish the other side of the cancer affecting today's GOP.

That is, a primary reason why Republicans feel empowered to do whatever they want, however they want, and smash through all norms and expectations of ethical and moral behavior in government, is because the base tolerates it. The most dedicated among them will spin it and make excuses for it, the rest just ignore it and keep voting Republican.

If that wasn't going on, the GOP wouldn't do what they do. At a minimum, when leadership would push these things, we'd see something akin to what has happened in the United Kingdom, where Boris Johnson has executed broad overreach and the cost was he had to kick 21 backbenchers out of his party. That won't happen here.

I have to admit that before they exploited a 9/11 ceremony to pass a budget bill, I would have said "well, they won't do ANYTHING to seize power."

I can no longer say that. And it doesn't bother the base at all. Forum Republicans are welcome to prove that I'm not completely right.

Last edited:
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Then they need to file lawsuit after lawsuit. It worked in NC - I doubt the stupid "lottery" system will be upheld.
The problem with that is it takes a ton of time. Meanwhile Trump is out bragging that he has filled 180 judges thus far. Its one of those circular arguments, where how can you change something if you cant get a say? Sure Trump may go down to defeat in 2020, but that wont be the end. We saw that in 2010 where they came roaring back. Voters are very fickle so nothing is able to gain ground.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This thread is still pretty young, so I'm willing to grant the benefit of the doubt that it just hasn't been seen yet, but if we still have no meaningful commentary from forum Republicans in a day or so, that will pretty well establish the other side of the cancer affecting today's GOP.

That is, a primary reason why Republicans feel empowered to do whatever they want, however they want, and smash through all norms and expectations of ethical and moral behavior in government, is because the base tolerates it. The most dedicated among them will spin it and make excuses for it, the rest just ignore it and keep voting Republican. If that wasn't going on, the GOP wouldn't do what they do.

I have to admit that before they exploited a 9/11 ceremony to pass a budget bill, I would have said "well, they won't do ANYTHING to seize power."

I can no longer say that. And it doesn't bother the base at all. Forum Republicans are welcome to prove that I'm not completely right.
Well I was a republican for 25 years and I can tell you that its never been different. Sure the optics were better but behind the scenes it wasnt. Do you really think that putting in super strict voter ID laws a decade ago were meant to help people? Esepcially in several states who did them with midnight votes?

Oct 2009
Kansas
Well I was a republican for 25 years and I can tell you that its never been different. Sure the optics were better but behind the scenes it wasnt. Do you really think that putting in super strict voter ID laws a decade ago were meant to help people? Esepcially in several states who did them with midnight votes?
Of course not. Republican leadership has been on the record from Day 1 in various ways that Voter ID is a political tool, not an election security measure. The only people who still insist that Voter ID, as it has been generally implemented by the Republican Party, is anything more than a con job are either useful idiots or liars.

We are far beyond that debate in the realm of reason and common sense.