North Korea has increased nuclear production at secret sites, say U.S. officials

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
U.S. intelligence officials, citing newly obtained evidence, have concluded that North Korea does not intend to fully surrender its nuclear stockpile, and instead is considering ways to conceal the number of weapons it has and secret production facilities, according to U.S. officials. The evidence, collected in the wake of the June 12 summit in Singapore, points to preparations to deceive the United States about the number of nuclear warheads in North Korea’s arsenal as well as the existence of undisclosed facilities used to make fissile material for nuclear bombs, the officials said. The findings support a new, previously undisclosed Defense Intelligence Agency estimate that North Korea is unlikely to denuclearize.

The assessment stands in stark contrast to President Trump’s exuberant comments following the summit, when he declared on Twitter that “there is no longer a nuclear threat” from North Korea. At a recent rally, he also said he had “great success’’ with Pyongyang.

Specifically, the DIA has concluded that North Korean officials are exploring ways to deceive Washington about the number of nuclear warheads and missiles, and the types and numbers of facilities they have, believing that the United States is not aware of the full range of their activities. Meanwhile, the North Koreans also have operated a secret underground uranium enrichment site known as Kangson, which was first reported in May by The Washington Post. That site is believed by most officials to have twice the enrichment capacity of Yongbyon. U.S. intelligence agencies became aware of the nuclear facility in 2010.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/north-korea-working-to-conceal-key-aspects-of-its-nuclear-program-us-officials-say/2018/06/30/deba64fa-7c82-11e8-93cc-6d3beccdd7a3_story.html?__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true&utm_term=.f3bf80a1232b

So they have had a secret secret underground uranium enrichment site since 2010 and Trump didn't even know about that??

Or he did and the whole summit was just a publicity stunt. Which would be par for the course with him. And in return he gave NK want they always wanted.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
No remains have been returned yet. See post #89. Maybe we'll still get them. Shrug. If we do, that would be good. It is a very low-cost concession on the part of the tyrannical North Korean regime. What truly matters is if they are willing to give up their nukes. They are not. They are NOT going to give up their nukes.
I wouldn't them up either, if I were them. They've worked spectacularly to to get an American president to grovel to the Supreme Leader.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Oh ya?

Just like Obozo shown the world what he could do in Iran? ))

I strongly doubt it ... No one can beat / surpass Obozo in the way he's shown 'em!

[video=youtube;V45y_CHVpMs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V45y_CHVpMs[/video]
We have been at war with NK through 12 presidencies over about 70 years. All of them, Democrats and Republicans alike failed to engage NK. The NK nuclear weapons program actually began in 1962 and was pretty much ignored by the following 6 presidents. In 1985, NK signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, but did not allow inspections. George HW Bush ties full compliance with the NPT, leading to other diplomatic issues, such as the normalization of relations. By 1991, the US removed remaining nuclear weapons from SK. In 1992, NK allowed inspections to begin. Inspections find fabricated information, so NK disallows inspections. In 1993, NK threatens to pull out from the NPT. In 1994 the US offers incentives for NK to stop, and they agree, in 1996 they still haven't stopped. In 1998 NK launches a rocket over Japan. Japan cuts their financial aid over it. In 2002 GWB adds NK to his Axis of Evil, at the same time they build new or update facilities. 2002/2003 China and Russia try to rein in NK. In 2003 NK officially declares itself a nuclear power. 2004-2008, over and over NK is found to be cheating, lying, etc... 2009 - 2016 we tighten sanctions, NK says they have the right, etc... we dance the same dance to the same music. NK does not care about sanctions because it effects his people far more than it effects him, and various nations also enjoy the lucrative black market the sanctions have created.... and we get to Trump.

Trump has already called Kim honorable, placed military exercises on hold, declared NK not a threat, called his negotiations a great success, said Kim loves his people, etc... all that and for what? A promise to maybe one day think about disarming if they get around to it? Of all the failures listed above, Trump's is the worst. I've said for a long time that we should have invaded NK. Bush should have done it the day after adding them to his axis of evil. now, since no one had the courage, it's much harder to do. In all likelihood, Trump's going to accept them as a nuclear power, because he doesn't have the balls to do shit about it, and every other third world nation is watching this play out, and building their research teams.

Reactions: 1 person
Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Oh... I stand corrected. I guess it was a statement of intent.

Could it be that it will take time to gather everything?

Sorry, I thought that step had been taken.
It was a statement of intent without any timeline or details about how or when it was to be accomplished. Likewise, the statement about de nuclearization was a statement of intent without any timeline or details about how or when it was to be accomplished.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
It was a statement of intent without any timeline or details about how or when it was to be accomplished. Likewise, the statement about de nuclearization was a statement of intent without any timeline or details about how or when it was to be accomplished.
Their nuke facilities are destroyed in an earthquake that also killed most of their nuclear scientists... for all intents that threat is over.

The apparent increase in tension has more to do with Iran than NK.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Yes, it has depended on the "crimes", one documentary crew was threatened with arrest for merely taking a picture where they would appear larger than the leader.

To Kim, the symbolism is far more important than you think. When would you return the casualties and prisoners of war?
First, there are no prisoners of the Korean War, and there haven't been for a long time. The remains? Significant to his grandfather, certainly. Even his father, who had memories of the Korean War. But Jong-Un wasn't born until some 30-odd years after the Korean war ended. The remains are of no significance to him other than a political tool. I doubt many of them will be positively identified - IF they're returned at all. I'm guessing he's going to stall on returning them anyway until Trump pays up. Trump promised they'd be returned, so if Jong-Un decides not to return them, Trump will look like a world-class fool - and knowing what we all know about Trump, he'll refuse to let that happen. Those remains are leverage, and Jong-Un is smart enough to know that as long as he has them, he can increase his demands.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
First, there are no prisoners of the Korean War, and there haven't been for a long time. The remains? Significant to his grandfather, certainly. Even his father, who had memories of the Korean War. But Jong-Un wasn't born until some 30-odd years after the Korean war ended. The remains are of no significance to him other than a political tool. I doubt many of them will be positively identified - IF they're returned at all. I'm guessing he's going to stall on returning them anyway until Trump pays up. Trump promised they'd be returned, so if Jong-Un decides not to return them, Trump will look like a world-class fool - and knowing what we all know about Trump, he'll refuse to let that happen. Those remains are leverage, and Jong-Un is smart enough to know that as long as he has them, he can increase his demands.
I also was corrected that the remains are not actually returned as of yet.

Remember the last time the US accepted surrender? Hint: he ended up being killed in the streets in the worst of ways.

Just because the shift has become of peace instead of tension; can't expect things to just shift overnight. The important steps are taken to secure a different path. That is what is important.