North Korea returns remains of US troops

Jun 2014
United States
I'd imagine there's a chance that some of these will be non-Americans. Think about it, they are exhuming unmarked graves from six decades ago. It was wartime and I'm sure they didn't keep real good records of who was buried where. Think about how many dead there were.

Of the 7000 unaccounted for, it is estimated that about 5500 of them died in what is now North Korea.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Of the 7000 unaccounted for, it is estimated that about 5500 of them died in what is now North Korea.
I'm sure that most of the bodies of those killed in war, were buried close to where they died, in unmarked graves. This wouldn't be because the Koreans were trying to hide them, just get them buried.

Apr 2012
East coast USA
I'm not so sure, there would be so many bodies to deal with, they probably dug mass graves as soon as possible to prevent desease. Then again, a morbid thought. Bury in farm feilds shallow, to fertilize. After 5 years plow up skeletons and deposit in sink hole.
Dog tags are for bodies

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
I'm not so sure, there would be so many bodies to deal with, they probably dug mass graves as soon as possible to prevent desease. Then again, a morbid thought. Bury in farm feilds shallow, to fertilize. After 5 years plow up skeletons and deposit in sink hole.
Dog tags are for bodies
I don't think that they were gathered up for mass graves. I think the farmers or whomever lived nearby just buried them. Korea was a mess back then, the government was a mess. You could be right, but I think it was just whomever could bury the bodies before they stank.