North Korea returns US student in coma

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
An American university student who was detained for 17 months in North Korea and suffered a serious neurological injury was "brutalized" while in custody, his father said on Thursday.Despite the "severe" injury, Otto Warmbier, 22, is stable and receiving treatment at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, center spokeswoman Kelly Martin said at a news briefing at Warmbier's high school in Wyoming, Ohio.
Doctors will provide further details about Warmbier's condition on Thursday afternoon.
Warmbier has been in a coma since March 2016, shortly after he was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor in North Korea, the family said on Tuesday after he was released.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-northkorea-detainee-idUSKBN196137
North Korea is trying to say that the coma was caused by botulism. Bullshit. They beat him into a coma.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
It's not a good idea to travel to North Korea. It's an even worse idea to attempt to steal a propaganda banner.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
I can't imagine he will wake up after 1 year and the poor medical treatment he received. After a year, the body shrivels from lack of muscle mass, the body becomes atrophied and the legs will draw up to their chest and arms will fold in. Coma patients, in a civilized world, receives physical therapy where a therapist works out their arms and legs for them. I would like to see the condition of his body. NK should not be allowed to get away with this. Where is the UN?

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
I can't imagine he will wake up after 1 year and the poor medical treatment he received. After a year, the body shrivels from lack of muscle mass, the body becomes atrophied and the legs will draw up to their chest and arms will fold in. Coma patients, in a civilized world, receives physical therapy where a therapist works out their arms and legs for them. I would like to see the condition of his body. NK should not be allowed to get away with this. Where is the UN?
You say that North Korea should not be allowed to get away with this, what would you support President Trump doing?

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
From the sounds of it, that might be the least of his problems medically speaking.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
You say that North Korea should not be allowed to get away with this, what would you support President Trump doing?
Carpet bomb the crap out of his palace. :) j/k The UN, even tho they are useless, needs to step in. This is inhumane. I actually felt, when he was first sentenced, that we should have gave Kim Jong an order to release our citizen or we will come and get him....hard.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Carpet bomb the crap out of his palace. :) j/k The UN, even tho they are useless, needs to step in. This is inhumane. I actually felt, when he was first sentenced, that we should have gave Kim Jong an order to release our citizen or we will come and get him....hard.
I see, so you advocate the United States going to war over this student who traveled to North Korea even though our State Department warns against travel to the country? How many people should die on account of it? What is acceptable civilian casualties?