NRA ousts president Oliver North after alleged extortion scheme against chief executive

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
National Rifle Association President Oliver North has been ousted after an alleged extortion scheme within the group’s highest-ranking officials came to light on Friday. In a statement, North told the organization he was “informed” he would not be nominated for reelection. North’s term ends Monday.

The NRA’s chief executive, Wayne LaPierre, wrote a letter to the board Thursday accusing North of plotting to remove him from the group by threatening to release to the board “damaging” information about LaPierre. He claimed North, a former Marine Corps lieutenant colonel perhaps best known for his role in the Iran-contra affair, was pressuring him to resign over alleged financial transgressions. “Delivered by a member of our Board on behalf of his employer, the exhortation was simple: resign or there will be destructive allegations made against me and the NRA,” LaPierre wrote in the letter, which was published Friday by the Wall Street Journal.

“I believe our Board and devoted members will see this for what it is: a threat meant to intimidate me and divide us,” he continued. “I choose to stand and fight, and hope to bring 5 million members with me.”

North’s departure and the circumstances surrounding it cast a public light on the apparent discord within the influential gun rights group.The Wall Street Journal reported that North, who became NRA president last year, defended himself in a letter to the board Thursday, indicating his actions were “for the good of the NRA.” North previously wrote a longer letter to the board’s executive committee, alleging LaPierre had made more than $200,000 of wardrobe purchases and charged them to a vendor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...s-standing-his-ground/?utm_term=.61f59babe82a

And then there is this also

Steve Hart, the longtime lawyer for the National Rifle Association board, has been suspended from that role, two people with knowledge of the move told The Daily Beast.

In addition, Col. Oliver North–who announced his departure from the powerful gun rights group this morning–has warned board members that the organization could lose its nonprofit status.

Hart represented the board for years, and his suspension came before North announced that he is stepping away from his leadership role at the organization after only six months on the job.

The lawyer’s ouster represents the departure of another senior, long-time NRA insider with detailed knowledge of the organization’s troubles. And it comes as internal turmoil and sniping rocks the gun-rights group

NRA Suspends Top Lawyer as Infighting Roils Group

I have read where they losing money hand over fist. And now they are in "disarray"

Thoughts and prayers.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Funny how this isn't remotely about anything except money. No ideological or managerial differences, no political issues, just money. Which tells me flat out what the NRA is about. All the fear mongering and victim baiting is just red meat for the idiot masses to get them to send cash and buy more guns.

This kind of cynicism is going to ruin the country. :(

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
National Rifle Association President Oliver North has been ousted after an alleged extortion scheme within the group’s highest-ranking officials came to light on Friday. In a statement, North told the organization he was “informed” he would not be nominated for reelection. North’s term ends Monday.

The NRA’s chief executive, Wayne LaPierre, wrote a letter to the board Thursday accusing North of plotting to remove him from the group by threatening to release to the board “damaging” information about LaPierre. He claimed North, a former Marine Corps lieutenant colonel perhaps best known for his role in the Iran-contra affair, was pressuring him to resign over alleged financial transgressions. “Delivered by a member of our Board on behalf of his employer, the exhortation was simple: resign or there will be destructive allegations made against me and the NRA,” LaPierre wrote in the letter, which was published Friday by the Wall Street Journal.

“I believe our Board and devoted members will see this for what it is: a threat meant to intimidate me and divide us,” he continued. “I choose to stand and fight, and hope to bring 5 million members with me.”

North’s departure and the circumstances surrounding it cast a public light on the apparent discord within the influential gun rights group.The Wall Street Journal reported that North, who became NRA president last year, defended himself in a letter to the board Thursday, indicating his actions were “for the good of the NRA.” North previously wrote a longer letter to the board’s executive committee, alleging LaPierre had made more than $200,000 of wardrobe purchases and charged them to a vendor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...s-standing-his-ground/?utm_term=.61f59babe82a

And then there is this also

Steve Hart, the longtime lawyer for the National Rifle Association board, has been suspended from that role, two people with knowledge of the move told The Daily Beast.

In addition, Col. Oliver North–who announced his departure from the powerful gun rights group this morning–has warned board members that the organization could lose its nonprofit status.

Hart represented the board for years, and his suspension came before North announced that he is stepping away from his leadership role at the organization after only six months on the job.

The lawyer’s ouster represents the departure of another senior, long-time NRA insider with detailed knowledge of the organization’s troubles. And it comes as internal turmoil and sniping rocks the gun-rights group

NRA Suspends Top Lawyer as Infighting Roils Group

I have read where they losing money hand over fist. And now they are in "disarray"

Thoughts and prayers.
They are on the vege of bankruptcy.

In a way it is funny that Oliver North had to threaten to expose Pierre.

I do not think they ousted North. He resigned. Guess the corruption there was too much for him. After Iran/ Contra North has stayed pretty clean.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Them New York Democrats are going after all their political adversaries, aren't they.
It is not any different than Texas authorities hounding Planned Parenthood, and you know it. Yes, they have a political motive. But they will either be able to prove their case or not. They have the authority and the right to make one. The NRA invites scrutiny, especially today.