NSC Official Tim Morrison To Schiff: ‘I Was Not Concerned That Anything Illegal Was Discussed’ In Trump-Ukraine Phone Call

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
As we see from the transcript.

A top National Security Council (NSC) official who listened to President Donald Trump’s July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymr Zelensky testified to Congress today that he did not believe Trump had discussed anything illegal during the conversation. “I want to be clear, I was not concerned that anything illegal was discussed,” former NSC Senior Director for European Affairs Tim Morrison testified today, according to a record of his remarks obtained by The Federalist.
Morrison testified that Ukrainian officials were not even aware that certain military funding had been delayed by the Trump administration until late August 2019, more than a month after the Trump-Zelensky call, casting doubt on allegations that Trump somehow conveyed an illegal quid pro quo demand during the July 25 call.
“I have no reason to believe the Ukrainians had any knowledge of the [military funding] review until August 28, 2019,” Morrison said. That is the same day that Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., the chief anti-Trump inquisitor in the U.S. House of Representatives, disclosed on Twitter that funding had been held up. Politico also published a story that day, sourced to anonymous leaks, that military funding had been temporarily held up.
Although Schiff claimed that neither he nor his staff ever spoke to the anti-Trump whistleblower, The New York Times reported that the complainant, whom RealClearInvestigations identified as Eric Ciaramella, coordinated with Schiff’s office before filing his complaint with the intelligence community inspector general on August 12. While Schiff initially demanded that the anti-Trump complainant be allowed to publicly testify, he quickly changed course following the reports that he and his staff had secretly colluded with the whistleblower and then lied about the interactions.
Morrison also pointed out key factual inaccuracies in testimony provided by William Taylor, a State Department official who works in the U.S. embassy in Kiev, Ukraine. Morrison said that, contrary to Taylor’s claims, Morrison never met with the Ukrainian National Security advisor in his private hotel room.

Sep 2019
dfw, texas
As we see from the transcript.

A top National Security Council (NSC) official who listened to President Donald Trump’s July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymr Zelensky testified to Congress today that he did not believe Trump had discussed anything illegal during the conversation. “I want to be clear, I was not concerned that anything illegal was discussed,” former NSC Senior Director for European Affairs Tim Morrison testified today, according to a record of his remarks obtained by The Federalist.
Morrison testified that Ukrainian officials were not even aware that certain military funding had been delayed by the Trump administration until late August 2019, more than a month after the Trump-Zelensky call, casting doubt on allegations that Trump somehow conveyed an illegal quid pro quo demand during the July 25 call.
“I have no reason to believe the Ukrainians had any knowledge of the [military funding] review until August 28, 2019,” Morrison said. That is the same day that Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., the chief anti-Trump inquisitor in the U.S. House of Representatives, disclosed on Twitter that funding had been held up. Politico also published a story that day, sourced to anonymous leaks, that military funding had been temporarily held up.
Although Schiff claimed that neither he nor his staff ever spoke to the anti-Trump whistleblower, The New York Times reported that the complainant, whom RealClearInvestigations identified as Eric Ciaramella, coordinated with Schiff’s office before filing his complaint with the intelligence community inspector general on August 12. While Schiff initially demanded that the anti-Trump complainant be allowed to publicly testify, he quickly changed course following the reports that he and his staff had secretly colluded with the whistleblower and then lied about the interactions.
Morrison also pointed out key factual inaccuracies in testimony provided by William Taylor, a State Department official who works in the U.S. embassy in Kiev, Ukraine. Morrison said that, contrary to Taylor’s claims, Morrison never met with the Ukrainian National Security advisor in his private hotel room.

he did say that....but you are burying the headline!! it does not matter what he THOUGHT about the illegality of the call!! How is that relevant? Hell, Trump is so incompetent he MIGHT HAVE THOUGHT IT WAS NOT ILLEGAL TO SHAKE DOWN COUNTRIES TO DIG UP DIRT ON HIS RIVALS!! so what?

But here is the kicker you left out of Morrison's opening statement that will impeach Trump and hopefully remove him from office, as the link to the transcript of his opening statement clearly shows- this is what we call a slam dunk-

"First, how it would play out in Washington's polarized environment; second, how a leak would affect the bipartisan support our Ukrainian partners currently experience in Congress; and third, how it would affect the Ukrainian perceptions of the U.S.-Ukraine relationship," Morrison, who was in the Situation Room for the call, told lawmakers. "I want to be clear, I was not concerned that anything illegal was discussed."

However, he also corroborated a central allegation in the Democratic case against the president: that a U.S. ambassador told a high-ranking Ukrainian official that the release of military aid was contingent on an investigation into the Bidens.

Morrison said his predecessor, Fiona Hill, told him about "concerns about two Ukraine processes that were occurring": one led by traditional U.S. diplomatic entities, and one led by the U.S. Ambassador the E.U. Gordon Sondland and Rudy Giuliani, the president's personal lawyer. He said Hill told him about their efforts to get Ukraine to investigate Burisma, the Ukrainian energy company that had employed Hunter Biden, former Vice President Joe Biden's son.

"At the time, I did not know what Burisma was or what the investigation entailed," Morrison said. "After the meeting with Dr. Hill, I googled Burisma and learned that it was a Ukrainian energy company and that Hunter Biden was on its board."

Morrison said he spoke frequently with Bill Taylor, the top U.S. diplomat in the embassy in Kiev. Taylor testified before the committees last week and described his misgivings about efforts to pressure Ukraine to open investigations into the president's rivals. Morrison, in his statement, confirmed the substance of Taylor's account, but said he remembered two details differently.

Taylor testified that Morrison told him Sondland had demanded the Ukrainian president announce an investigation into Burisma, while Morrison said he remembered Sondland saying an announcement by the country's top prosecutor would suffice. Taylor also indicated Morrison met with the Ukrainian national security adviser in his hotel room, while Morrison said it was in the hotel's business center. (wow, those two details make no difference at all. good thing the federalist acted like it did!! right here from the Federalist cherry picking bullshit article that was used as a source-

Morrison also pointed out key factual inaccuracies in testimony provided by William Taylor, a State Department official who works in the U.S. embassy in Kiev, Ukraine. Morrison said that, contrary to Taylor’s claims, Morrison never met with the Ukrainian National Security advisor in his private hotel room. (no, he met with him in the hotel's business center!!) can you see how the federalist is being dishonest about what Morrison said and spewing it in the best light possible?

Morrison said he learned about a delay in military aid to Ukraine shortly after assuming his post, and was tasked with coordinating with various agencies to demonstrate why the aid was needed.

Sep 2019
dfw, texas
The idea that Ukraine was not aware they hadn't received desperately needed aid is ludicrous in the extreme.

Of course they knew the aid hadn't arrived. And they knew exactly why it hadn't.
they must think the Ukranians are as clueless and in the dark about reality as the average trump voter. that they did not know they had received military aid in the new budget that took effect on October 1, 2018, and the phone call was on July 25, 2019 AND NO AID HAD BEEN RECEIVED...yeah, there is no way they knew trump was using that aid as leverage...mercy me, they would have to have ESPN to know what was going on in Trump's tiny mind when he said-
"I would like you to do us a favor though...." yeah, right, no way Zelensky knew what Trump was talking about since they had just been talking about getting defensive missiles from us and how much zelensky appreciated US help...

'I would like you to do us a favor though': Transcript reveals Trump ...

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com › news › white-house-releases-trans...

Sep 25, 2019 - 'I would like you to do us a favor though': Transcript reveals Trump asked ... of the controversial July 25 phone call between President Trump and ...

May 2019
midwest
he did say that....but you are burying the headline!! it does not matter what he THOUGHT about the illegality of the call!! How is that relevant? Hell, Trump is so incompetent he MIGHT HAVE THOUGHT IT WAS NOT ILLEGAL TO SHAKE DOWN COUNTRIES TO DIG UP DIRT ON HIS RIVALS!! so what?

But here is the kicker you left out of Morrison's opening statement that will impeach Trump and hopefully remove him from office, as the link to the transcript of his opening statement clearly shows- this is what we call a slam dunk-

"First, how it would play out in Washington's polarized environment; second, how a leak would affect the bipartisan support our Ukrainian partners currently experience in Congress; and third, how it would affect the Ukrainian perceptions of the U.S.-Ukraine relationship," Morrison, who was in the Situation Room for the call, told lawmakers. "I want to be clear, I was not concerned that anything illegal was discussed."

However, he also corroborated a central allegation in the Democratic case against the president: that a U.S. ambassador told a high-ranking Ukrainian official that the release of military aid was contingent on an investigation into the Bidens.

Morrison said his predecessor, Fiona Hill, told him about "concerns about two Ukraine processes that were occurring": one led by traditional U.S. diplomatic entities, and one led by the U.S. Ambassador the E.U. Gordon Sondland and Rudy Giuliani, the president's personal lawyer. He said Hill told him about their efforts to get Ukraine to investigate Burisma, the Ukrainian energy company that had employed Hunter Biden, former Vice President Joe Biden's son.

"At the time, I did not know what Burisma was or what the investigation entailed," Morrison said. "After the meeting with Dr. Hill, I googled Burisma and learned that it was a Ukrainian energy company and that Hunter Biden was on its board."

Morrison said he spoke frequently with Bill Taylor, the top U.S. diplomat in the embassy in Kiev. Taylor testified before the committees last week and described his misgivings about efforts to pressure Ukraine to open investigations into the president's rivals. Morrison, in his statement, confirmed the substance of Taylor's account, but said he remembered two details differently.

Taylor testified that Morrison told him Sondland had demanded the Ukrainian president announce an investigation into Burisma, while Morrison said he remembered Sondland saying an announcement by the country's top prosecutor would suffice. Taylor also indicated Morrison met with the Ukrainian national security adviser in his hotel room, while Morrison said it was in the hotel's business center. (wow, those two details make no difference at all. good thing the federalist acted like it did!! right here from the Federalist cherry picking bullshit article that was used as a source-

Morrison also pointed out key factual inaccuracies in testimony provided by William Taylor, a State Department official who works in the U.S. embassy in Kiev, Ukraine. Morrison said that, contrary to Taylor’s claims, Morrison never met with the Ukrainian National Security advisor in his private hotel room. (no, he met with him in the hotel's business center!!) can you see how the federalist is being dishonest about what Morrison said and spewing it in the best light possible?

Morrison said he learned about a delay in military aid to Ukraine shortly after assuming his post, and was tasked with coordinating with various agencies to demonstrate why the aid was needed.

DJT thinks this testimony is just (im)peachy when it was actually damning for HIM.
:cool:

Donald J. Trump
Retweeted

Reactions: llovejim
Jun 2014
United States
NSC Official Tim Morrison To Schiff: ‘I Was Not Concerned That Anything Illegal Was Discussed’ In Trump-Ukraine Phone Call

That's okay. Tim Morrison isn't a lawyer, and his ignorance of the law is not really an issue. He wasn't called to testify as to what is legal or illegal, he was called as a fact witness, and his testimony confirmed what prior witnesses had already established. Trump engaged in a quid pro quo extortion of the Ukraine President, and that behavior is indeed illegal, whether Tim understands the relevant law or not.

Last edited:
Jan 2019
southeast

That's okay. Tim Morton isn't a lawyer, and his ignorance of the law is not really an issue. He wasn't called to testify as to what is legal or illegal, he was called as a fact witness, and his testimony confirmed what prior witnesses had already established. Trump engaged in a quid pro quo extortion of the Ukraine President, and that behavior is indeed illegal, whether Tim understands the relevant law or not.
Who is Tim Morton?