Nuclear regulators were unaware of transfer of sensitive technical information to Saudi Arabia

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Why would they not inform regulators and why are they so hell bent on pleasing the Saudis?

Last week, the administration divulged that it had kept secret from Congress as well as the public seven authorizations for nuclear energy companies to use in wooing Saudi Arabia, a potential customer interested in building two nuclear reactors for civilian purposes. The information kept under wraps includes the identity of the companies and the type of information.

In the past, that information has been placed in the Energy Department’s reading room. But Energy Secretary Rick Perry said the companies had asked for confidentiality because of proprietary information.

Rep. Brad Sherman (D-Calif.) on Tuesday sent a letter to Perry demanding that the administration share more information about the Part 810 disclosures with the House Foreign Affairs subcommittee on Asia, the Pacific and nonproliferation.
In the Senate hearing Van Hollen said, “You have a statutory and regulatory role to play here, and I’ve got to say it’s astounding that not a single one of you is aware of whether, when and what role the NRC played in that particular authorization.”

Members of Congress also are seeking information about when the 810 approvals were issued, an effort to determine whether the administration issued any of them after the killing of Washington Post contributing columnist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.
Nuclear regulators were unaware of transfer of sensitive technical information to Saudi Arabia

Reactions: Friday13
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I have read where some actually propose letting Saudi Arabia into NATO and forcing Turkey out. Its a thing apparently so this doesnt surprise me.

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
"...two nuclear reactors for civilian purposes..."

Sure, sure...