Nurses fired over refusing the flu shot

Jan 2008
Vertiform City
Several Indiana nurses were fired after refusing to get the flu shot. Their employer mandates them to have it for work. What do you all think about this?

Indiana Hospital Fires Nurses for Refusing Flu Shot - ABC News
Standard practice. I was once an employee at the nation's second largest health care provider, not a medical guy but a computer guy. It was still a requirement to get shots, I think I had to get some kind of hepatitis A or B vaccine or something, I don't remember. The reason is because when the nurses or other hospital workers go on strike, they call in the computer guys to sweep the hospital floors for a while. Seriously. :)

Nov 2010
Several Indiana nurses were fired after refusing to get the flu shot. Their employer mandates them to have it for work. What do you all think about this?

Indiana Hospital Fires Nurses for Refusing Flu Shot - ABC News
They work with immuno compromised, sick patients. them not being immunized can increase the chances they spread the flu to their patients, many of whom could die or become very very sick because if their condition. They are in the wrong profession if they have issues with vaccines, maybe they should look for other career options

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
I agree with this comment.

"I cannot think of a reason for any health care professional to decline influenza immunization that's valid," said Schaffner, a former president of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases, adding that people with egg allergies may have to avoid the flu shot to prevent anaphylactic shock, but even that hurdle has been remedied. The Food and Drug Administration approved an egg-free vaccine in November."

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
They work with immuno compromised, sick patients. them not being immunized can increase the chances they spread the flu to their patients, many of whom could die or become very very sick because if their condition. They are in the wrong profession if they have issues with vaccines, maybe they should look for other career options
I agree but I wonder, the article said one of the women had been a nurse for close to 30 years. I believe it really has only been in the last 5 years or so that the vaccine has been mandated. She obviously didn't agree to this when she began the job so how would this play out in a lawsuit? Would she be able to win a case claiming it wasn't part of her job description? I can imagine the hospital will claim public health but curious as to whether they might just have to pay her and the others off.

Jan 2008
Vertiform City
I agree but I wonder, the article said one of the women had been a nurse for close to 30 years. I believe it really has only been in the last 5 years or so that the vaccine has been mandated. She obviously didn't agree to this when she began the job so how would this play out in a lawsuit? Would she be able to win a case claiming it wasn't part of her job description? I can imagine the hospital will claim public health but curious as to whether they might just have to pay her and the others off.
Agreed that liability is a big part of the equation. Exposing patients to flu can be construed as "negligence".

Reactions: bajisima
Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
It seems she avoided the mandate for some time by appealing her case in several different venues. Having lost them all, she had no valid reason for continuing to expose her patients to undue risk.

Jan 2008
Vertiform City
It seems she avoided the mandate for some time by appealing her case in several different venues. Having lost them all, she had no valid reason for continuing to expose her patients to undue risk.
"Undue risk". Gotta love it. I mean, medically speaking, I associate "undue risk" with things like leeches, trephines, and snake oil. Never in a million years would it cross my mind that my nurse might have the Black Plague. :glee: