NYT: The Crisis Is in the Oval Office

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
With his demagogy, Mr. Trump managed to fuel a sense of insecurity and unease throughout his campaign, along with the idea that he alone could Make America Great Again. In office, he has attempted to perpetuate that angst by proclaiming existential threats to the Republic, be they migrant caravans storming the border, Muslim terrorists flooding the airports or violent immigrants roaming the countryside. Shutting down the government is only the most recent effort at getting what he wants by traumatizing the nation he has sworn to serve.
Opinion | The Crisis Is in the Oval Office

I feel like I've read this all before. But then, what can anyone possibly say about his utter failure as a human being and leader that hasn't already been said ad nauseum?

I don't know about you, but I am worn out from having to suspend my sense of disbelief and the feeling that we have arrived a very bad juncture in history. Lately, I've found myself thinking back to the presidencies of Nixon, Reagan and both Bushes, and I recall that even in their worst moments, my belief in my country never wavered. That is no longer true. Something is dreadfully wrong when a modern industrialized nation elects such an obviously incompetent nincompoop to what is arguably the most powerful office on the face of the Earth.

That said, my sense is that tonight, we've reached the plateau. Call me an optimist (heh!), but I believe Trump's prime-time appeal to the dark side was his Caine Mutiny moment, and marks the beginning of the end for him. We've already heard this speech twice before from him: at the 2016 Republican Convention and at his inauguration. The third time is not the charm. He has become the boy who cried IMMIGRANT! And no one outside of his hardcore base of lunatics is buying it any longer. We won't ever see the Trump Wall, but the prospects are looking good that we will see the Trump Impeachment.

Either way, his mojo is gone.

The question now is: Will America come back?

Last edited:
Jan 2016
Colorado
This is a good paragraph, too:

While Mr. Trump proved a wily campaigner and political street fighter, as president he has been painfully out of his element. Two years in, he remains ill suited to the complicated, thankless, often grinding work of leading the nation. Governance clearly bores him, as do policy details both foreign and domestic. He has proved a poor judge of talent. He prefers grandstanding to negotiating, and he continues to have trouble with the whole concept of checks and balances. While the Republican base remains enamored of him, most of the electorate has grown weary of his outrages and antics.

Although saying "he continues to have trouble with the whole concept of checks and balances" is enough of an understatement to be downright amusing.

Oct 2018
This is a good paragraph, too:

While Mr. Trump proved a wily campaigner and political street fighter, as president he has been painfully out of his element. Two years in, he remains ill suited to the complicated, thankless, often grinding work of leading the nation. Governance clearly bores him, as do policy details both foreign and domestic. He has proved a poor judge of talent. He prefers grandstanding to negotiating, and he continues to have trouble with the whole concept of checks and balances. While the Republican base remains enamored of him, most of the electorate has grown weary of his outrages and antics.

Although saying "he continues to have trouble with the whole concept of checks and balances" is enough of an understatement to be downright amusing.

Speaking of downright amusing...I was chugging along, agreeing with everything in there, when I hit this:

" Were Mr. Trump truly interested in securing the border, and easing the suffering his policies are making worse, there are immediate steps he could take. For starters, he could end this wretched shutdown so that the people responsible for protecting the border can get paid, immigration judges can return to processing asylum claims and, yes, the physical and virtual barriers already in place can be maintained and perhaps even improved.

Beyond that, he would need to ease up on the my-way-or-the-highway swagger and sit down for a real discussion with lawmakers about how to address the deep dysfunction of this nation’s immigration system.

None of which would be as sensational as grabbing some prime-time airtime.

It would, however, be a sign that the president is at last getting serious about immigration concerns he has thus far done nothing but exacerbate."

Um....yeah, that's not going to happen.

Isn't it just like the NYT to sprinkle some centrist fairy dust over a raging forest fire?

Jan 2016
Colorado
Speaking of downright amusing...I was chugging along, agreeing with everything in there, when I hit this:

"Beyond that, he would need to ease up on the my-way-or-the-highway swagger and sit down for a real discussion with lawmakers about how to address the deep dysfunction of this nation’s immigration system.

It would, however, be a sign that the president is at last getting serious about immigration concerns he has thus far done nothing but exacerbate."

Isn't it just like the NYT to sprinkle some centrist fairy dust over a raging forest fire?
Yeah. Yeah, I just don't understand these people who keep vainly hoping that one day, Donald Trump might start acting more 'Presidential'.

If anything, as the noose closes in around him, his behavior will get worse, not better.

Oct 2018
Yeah. Yeah, I just don't understand these people who keep vainly hoping that one day, Donald Trump might start acting more 'Presidential'.

If anything, as the noose closes in around him, his behavior will get worse, not better.

I meant it when I said this was his Caine Mutiny moment.

I don't think he's coming back from this. I'm expecting we'll be seeing tweets about strawberries any day now.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Opinion | The Crisis Is in the Oval Office

I feel like I've read this all before. But then, what can anyone possibly say about his utter failure as a human being and leader that hasn't already been said ad nauseum?

I don't know about you, but I am worn out from having to suspend my sense of disbelief and the feeling that we have arrived a very bad juncture in history. Lately, I've found myself thinking back to the presidencies of Nixon, Reagan and both Bushes, and I recall that even in their worst moments, my belief in my country never wavered. That is no longer true. Something is dreadfully wrong when a modern industrialized nation elects such an obviously incompetent nincompoop to what is arguably the most powerful office on the face of the Earth.

That said, my sense is that tonight, we've reached the plateau. Call me an optimist (heh!), but I believe Trump's prime-time appeal to the dark side was his Caine Mutiny moment, and marks the beginning of the end for him. We've already heard this speech twice before from him: at the 2016 Republican Convention and at his inauguration. The third time is not the charm. He has become the boy who cried IMMIGRANT! And no one outside of his hardcore base of lunatics is buying it any longer. We won't ever see the Trump Wall, but the prospects are looking good that we will see the Trump Impeachment.

Either way, his mojo is gone.

The question now is: Will America come back?
The Trump team sent out an email before the appearance asking for $500,000 from Patriots whose names would be turned over to Trump. Another after his worn out speech. Fund raiser blackmail.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio

" Were Mr. Trump truly interested in securing the border, and easing the suffering his policies are making worse, there are immediate steps he could take. For starters, he could end this wretched shutdown so that the people responsible for protecting the border can get paid, immigration judges can return to processing asylum claims and, yes, the physical and virtual barriers already in place can be maintained and perhaps even improved.

Beyond that, he would need to ease up on the my-way-or-the-highway swagger and sit down for a real discussion with lawmakers about how to address the deep dysfunction of this nation’s immigration system.

Just another distraction from the real news of the day. Whoever wrote hat BS for him? Crisis of the soul and heart! Pfft!

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio

You think Trump ever heard of dental implants? His dentures keep slipping.