Obama Administration keeps winning its cases

Jul 2011
USA
The Bush, er, the Obama Administration keeps winning its cases allowing unlimited detention for suspected jihadists held at Guantanamo Bay.

Review & Outlook: The Gitmo Bar Goes 0-8 - WSJ.com

They rule on Citizens United and it's the supposed end of the world. Obama out there whining about the Supreme Court at State of the Union Addresses and press conferences......

The Wall Street Journal hits it slam on here with their lil "er" concerning the Bush/Obama Admin policies at Gitmo. They mirror each other. And after Obama's 2008 words and promises concerning this prison......if I were Romney here in 2012.......I'd launch major f'n political artillery.

Bluegrass

Former Staff
Apr 2007
The Bush, er, the Obama Administration keeps winning its cases allowing unlimited detention for suspected jihadists held at Guantanamo Bay.

Review & Outlook: The Gitmo Bar Goes 0-8 - WSJ.com

They rule on Citizens United and it's the supposed end of the world. Obama out there whining about the Supreme Court at State of the Union Addresses and press conferences......

The Wall Street Journal hits it slam on here with their lil "er" concerning the Bush/Obama Admin policies at Gitmo. They mirror each other. And after Obama's 2008 words and promises concerning this prison......if I were Romney here in 2012.......I'd launch major f'n political artillery.
Your post is self-contradictory, considering that Bush supported and Obama benefits from Citizens United.

Sep 2006
If a person held in GITMO is simply an enemy combatant, then he needs to stay in the POW prison till the end of the war. If he is guilty of a war crime then he needs to be tried in a military tribunal. The war in Afghanistan is endless. It goes on and on with no end in sight. The reason is we do not have a military goal. We have a political goal. A military goal is to take ground. The goal in afghanistan is to rebuild the country and capture the hearts and minds of the citizens and win a propaganda battle with the Taliban. It is ridiculous and needs to be ended now. I do not care whether Afghanistan is taken over by the Taliban.

Gitmo is tied in with the outcome of the war and it cannot be changed without its end.

Reactions: highway234
May 2012
By the wall
Well to be fair to Obama, he did try but Congress effectively blocked him by making it impossible to hold court hearings for terrorists in the United States. He really has no place to put these guys since other countries refuse to take them.

I'd have to research it some more but that's the gist of why its still open.

Reactions: Blueneck
May 2012
By the wall
If a person held in GITMO is simply an enemy combatant, then he needs to stay in the POW prison till the end of the war. If he is guilty of a war crime then he needs to be tried in a military tribunal. The war in Afghanistan is endless. It goes on and on with no end in sight. The reason is we do not have a military goal. We have a political goal. A military goal is to take ground. The goal in afghanistan is to rebuild the country and capture the hearts and minds of the citizens and win a propaganda battle with the Taliban. It is ridiculous and needs to be ended now. I do not care whether Afghanistan is taken over by the Taliban.

Gitmo is tied in with the outcome of the war and it cannot be changed without its end.
This is why I prefer Obama's military strategy to that of Bush's. Get in, do your stuff, and get the hell out. This nation building that Bush undertook is ridiculous.

Bluegrass

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Well to be fair to Obama, he did try but Congress effectively blocked him by making it impossible to hold court hearings for terrorists in the United States. He really has no place to put these guys since other countries refuse to take them.

I'd have to research it some more but that's the gist of why its still open.
If the 600 of 800 prisoners in Guantanamo (since 2002) had no formal charges and were released, while the vast majority of the remaining also have no formal charges, I'm curious as to how one can rationalize its existence in the first place. That is, outside of the rationale for a prison-torture system that serves as an interrogation tool for intelligence.

Bluegrass

Former Staff
Apr 2007
This is why I prefer Obama's military strategy to that of Bush's. Get in, do your stuff, and get the hell out. This nation building that Bush undertook is ridiculous.
Obama's kill list for his assassination program is merely another stage in the same foreign policy. Instead of populating prison camps, the Obama Admin just increased the killing to eliminate them.

May 2012
By the wall
If the 600 of 800 prisoners in Guantanamo (since 2002) had no formal charges and were released, while the vast majority of the remaining also have no formal charges, I'm curious as to how one can rationalize its existence in the first place. That is, outside of the rationale for a prison-torture system that serves as an interrogation tool for intelligence.
There are to be charges pending but the problem was that Obama wanted to close the base and have them tried in US Courts but Congress blocked him financially from doing that. Obama eventually had to give in and reopen the trials at Gitmo.

The move to begin new military trials is a defeat for Obama, who had promised to close Guantánamo within a year of taking office in January 2009 after describing the prison there as damaging to the US. He proposed to try some detainees before civilian courts while others would still face military tribunals but with restrictions on evidence gathered during torture.

But that plan was repeatedly postponed as the administration faced problems finding a prison to house alleged terrorists in the US and in the face of resistance from Congress which, among other things, cut off funds to move the accused men. The US attorney general, Eric Holder, had proposed prosecuting some of those accused of the 9/11 attacks, including Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, in a Manhattan court near Ground Zero. But two weeks ago, Obama signed a bill passed by Congress that blocks the transfer of detainees to the US or foreign countries, effectively preventing closure of the prison at Guantánamo.

The president said he objected to the provisions and would work with Congress to overturn them but that appears unlikely to happen now that the Republicans control the House of Representatives.

There are 174 detainees remaining at Guantánamo. A government-created taskforce has recommended that 36 be prosecuted and 48 be held indefinitely as enemy combatants.

Thirty Yemenis were approved for release if security conditions in their home country improve.
Barack Obama abandons Guantánamo closure plan after Congress veto | World news | The Guardian

Jul 2011
USA
Obama's kill list for his assassination program is merely another stage in the same foreign policy. Instead of populating prison camps, the Obama Admin just increased the killing to eliminate them.
Oh, he's populated prison camps as well. Please research Parwan.

Sep 2006
Are you typing that with a straight face? We are not out! Obama tripled the troop level there and lied straight faced into the TV camera that he would remove the surge troops last Summer. They are still there on year later than the aledged pull out date.

Obama lied to you and you are here now making excuses for his lie.