Obama create largest protected area on Earth

Mar 2015
UK
good news for the whole world

Obama expands Hawaiian national monument, creating largest protected area on Earth

The president has created or expanded 26 national monuments, protecting almost 550 million acres of federal land and water, at least twice as much as any of his predecessors

Tim Walker US Correspondent [MENTION=4050]Tim[/MENTION]walker Friday 26 August 2016

President Barack Obama has created the largest protected area on Earth, expanding a national marine monument in the Pacific Ocean around Hawaii to 582,578 miles: more than twice the size of France and some 50 times greater than the land area of the Aloha State.

Under the US Antiquities Act, Mr Obama has now used his executive authority to create or expand 26 national monuments, protecting almost 550 million acres of existing federal land and water, at least twice as much as any other president in US history.

he new monument quadruples the size of an existing monument established in the area by President George W Bush in 2006, expanding it to the far western boundary of US territorial waters. The Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, a 1,200-mile-long archipelago almost 300 miles northwest of Oahu – the island that includes the state’s capital, Honolulu – will now sit within a protected area that stretches 50 nautical miles from their shores in every direction.

The archipelago, whose marine habitats are home to more than 7,000 species, has received increasing levels of protection from seven different US presidents going back to Theodore Roosevelt, who signed the Antiquities Act in 1906.

The Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Marine National Monument created by President Bush a decade ago has since been renamed the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument, in honour of the Hawaiian gods Papahānaumoku and Wakea. In 2010, UNESCO designated the area a world heritage site to recognise its significance in native Hawaiian culture.

much more to read: Obama expands Hawaiian national monument, creating largest protected area on Earth | Americas | News | The Independent

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
The new monument quadruples the size of an existing monument established in the area by President George W Bush in 2006, expanding it to the far western boundary of US territorial waters. The Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, a 1,200-mile-long archipelago almost 300 miles northwest of Oahu – the island that includes the state’s capital, Honolulu – will now sit within a protected area that stretches 50 nautical miles from their shores in every direction.
Okay, I'm derailing a bit here, but how can this work? From what I understand, international waters start 24 miles from a country's coastline. So how can Pres. Obama "protect" an area that stretches 50 nautical miles (57.5 conventional miles) from U.S. shores?

TNVolunteer73

Former Staff
Nov 2014
TN
Okay, I'm derailing a bit here, but how can this work? From what I understand, international waters start 24 miles from a country's coastline. So how can Pres. Obama "protect" an area that stretches 50 nautical miles (57.5 conventional miles) from U.S. shores?
Actually the protected area was created by GW Bush, oops,

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Actually the protected area was created by GW Bush, oops,
Yeah... That's in the article. Bush created it; Obama quadrupled the size of it. My question concerns the range of the protected area versus the "international waters" boundary.

Jul 2013
U.S.A.
Yeah... That's in the article. Bush created it; Obama quadrupled the size of it. My question concerns the range of the protected area versus the "international waters" boundary.
It's because there are small islands and shoals dotted throughout the protected area that are U.S. territory. Therefore the park lies within territorial waters.

Cheers.

Reactions: 1 person
Mar 2015
UK
it would have to be with international agreement, mayhap it's the first step in gaining that agreement.. I don't know, I was thinking off the top of my head..

Mar 2015
UK
It's because there are small islands and shoals dotted throughout the protected area that are U.S. territory. Therefore the park lies within territorial waters.

Cheers.
that's a much better idea then the one that few to the top of my head...

Jul 2013
U.S.A.
that's a much better idea then the one that few to the top of my head...
Thanks. I was wrong, though, at least somewhat. Of course there are a whole lot of little islands, reefs, and shoals between the main Hawaiian islands and Midway island and these are indeed U.S. territories. But the new boundaries of the park extend beyond U.S. territorial waters even so. In fact, the new boundaries mark the limits of the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) relative to these islands. Per U.N. convention, a nation has special rights to control marine resources within its EEZ, which generally extends 200 miles beyond its territorial waters. Thus, the U.S. can limit commercial and certain other uses of those waters and that's essentially what the new park proclamation does with respect to non-U.S. citizens.

Cheers.

Reactions: 1 person

LFD

Aug 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Great.

More land owned by the federal government, waiting to be sold at auction to the highest bidder.

Lobbyists even ended up getting to Yellowstone.