Obama to Israel: Our Tax Dollars Won’t Go to Your Defense Contractors

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
[h=1]Obama to Israel: Our Tax Dollars Won’t Go to Your Defense Contractors[/h]
The proposal: The US gives Israel an increase in military aid:

The United States is offering Israel $3.5 billion to $3.7 billion a year in military assistance over a decade, a major increase from current levels but less than the $4 billion a year initially proposed by Netanyahu’s government.
but Israel has to spend it on US made arms instead of giving it directly to their own industry, which is in direct competition with the US in the arms market:

But, since then, Israel’s security firms have flourished and in some cases now compete with U.S. defense contractors in global markets, selling $5.7 billion worth of weaponry in 2015, with sophisticated radars, electronic systems, drones, and missiles topping the list of high-end exports. That was almost double the $3 billion worth of equipment it exported in 2003.
and Israel could count on a ten year agreement instead of depending on our Congress for a renewal of aid each year.

The US defense industry likes the proposal:

For U.S. defense firms selling high-end, sophisticated weapons, any expansion of the Israeli market represents a lucrative opportunity, as the American companies can no longer count on major increases in the Pentagon’s budget, which has leveled off in recent years.
and the outcome? Who knows?

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
And in the meantime, whenever I turn on Fox News, there's a commercial showing old women in Israel who are supposedly going hungry because their government can't afford to feed them due to spending on defense. Sad, isn't it?

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio

but Israel has to spend it on US made arms instead of giving it directly to their own industry, which is in direct competition with the US in the arms market:

and Israel could count on a ten year agreement instead of depending on our Congress for a renewal of aid each year.

The US defense industry likes the

Smart President. You want our help, you buy from us!

We got our hostages back,too. Then Iran got their own money back.

Nuclear deal with Iran. Normalized relations with Cuba so they can start buying from us.

Stock Market tripled,23 million new jobs, wages now going up because companies can not get decent workers. People able to move from one job to another.

What else can this President do in 5 months?

Jun 2016
Gotham

The US defense industry likes the proposal:

I feel like an idiot when I read stuff like this, because I don't really grasp the fine details and the question then becomes, "Well, if those are the terms of the deal, why not just give the money outright to defense contractors and let Israel deliver a shopping list?"

Actually, I think this arrangement could have been better crafted to both parties' advantage. As far as I know, the Israelis are pretty good when it comes to developing new high tech. I think at least some of that money could have been put toward financing joint efforts that would have benefited both countries.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I feel like an idiot when I read stuff like this, because I don't really grasp the fine details and the question then becomes, "Well, if those are the terms of the deal, why not just give the money outright to defense contractors and let Israel deliver a shopping list?"

Actually, I think this arrangement could have been better crafted to both parties' advantage. As far as I know, the Israelis are pretty good when it comes to developing new high tech. I think at least some of that money could have been put toward financing joint efforts that would have benefited both countries.
If Israel does not agree to our plan they will not get our money.