Obama "We are to blame" comment NY Times Opinion Piece

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Obama: ?We? are to blame, not Islamic terrorism, for massacre | New York Post

Omar Mateen called the cops to pledge his fealty to ISIS as he was carrying out his mass murderer in Orlando early Sunday morning. Twelve hours later, the president of the United States declared that “we have no definitive assessment on the motivation” of Omar Mateen but that “we know he was a person filled with hate.”
So determined is the president to avoid the subject of Islamist, ISIS-inspired or ISIS-directed terrorism that he concluded his remarks with an astonishing insistence that “we need the strength and courage to change” our attitudes toward the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community.
America’s national attitude toward LGBT people didn’t shoot up the Pulse nightclub. This country’s national attitude has undergone a sea-change in the past 20 years, by the way, in case the president hasn’t noticed.

An Islamist terrorist waging war against the United States killed and injured 103 people on our soil. We Americans do not bear collective responsibility for this attack.
I agree with the opinion piece. I don't often bitch about Obama, but I think he chose his words very poorly. I think he also played politics with this, and used the deaths of all of those citizens to forward some of his pet projects, which I find pretty offensive. This was more than a hate crime against the lgbt community... this was a terrorist attack against all of us. And "we" Americans did not collectively do this to the lgbt community... We often say that the vast majority of Muslims are not extremists... I'm going to go on record to state that the vast Majority of Americans are also not extremists.