ObamaCare Medicaid expansion wins in 3 red states

Jul 2013
Ohio

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
Excellent. Nice to see referendums at work. Good for the people of those states.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I know. Think of all those rural conservatives caught in our opioid epidemic.....losing any chance of help that could save their lives.
What I don't get is I imagine the opioid problem was probably influential in the defeat of Issue One. So you have kids and you're concerned about them becoming caught up in this, or maybe they already are, and you say "By God, I'm voting to make sure the government scars them for the rest of their lives if they get caught, even if they recover."

Who WANTS their kid to have their future destroyed with a felony conviction?

Why would people vote no on this?

Drug use or possession charges would be reduced to misdemeanors, and money saved by not jailing people for those crimes would be used for addiction treatment and for aid to crime victims. The measure would also bar judges from sending convicted felons back to prison for noncriminal probation violations, and it would allow certain inmates to receive sentence reductions for participating in rehabilitative, work or educational programs.
I'm now convinced people don't "care" about kids dying from opiates at all, they just want moar punishment. Punish the weak, reward the wolves.

Sometimes I hate this country.

Jul 2013
Ohio
Add Kansas to the states that will soon accept the ACA Medicaid expansion.....now that they have a Democratic governor and a Republican legislature that WANTED the expansion before this.

Jul 2013
Ohio
What I don't get is I imagine the opioid problem was probably influential in the defeat of Issue One. So you have kids and you're concerned about them becoming caught up in this, or maybe they already are, and you say "By God, I'm voting to make sure the government scars them for the rest of their lives if they get caught, even if they recover."

Who WANTS their kid to have their future destroyed with a felony conviction?

Why would people vote no on this?

I'm now convinced people don't "care" about kids dying from opiates at all, they just want moar punishment. Punish the weak, reward the wolves.

Sometimes I hate this country.
I voted NO because it wasn't clear enough what it would really do.

"While many Ohioans said they appreciated the intent behind Issue 1, it was widely criticized as too permanent because it would have been enshrined in the Ohio Constitution and difficult to alter if necessary.

The opponents – a group of law enforcement officers, judges and business interests – argued the measure would strip judges of discretion -- especially in drug courts, where they say addicts often turn their lives around. They also said it was too soft on crime, especially when considering the potency of small amounts fentanyl and carfentanil.

Ohio voters defeat Issue 1 on drug crimes

It's the parent-addicts who are more of a problem.

The opioid epidemic is putting more and more children into Ohio's foster care system, and costs to the system will increase by more than two-thirds in 2018

Last edited:

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I voted NO because it wasn't clear enough what it would really do.

"While many Ohioans said they appreciated the intent behind Issue 1, it was widely criticized as too permanent because it would have been enshrined in the Ohio Constitution and difficult to alter if necessary.

The opponents – a group of law enforcement officers, judges and business interests – argued the measure would strip judges of discretion -- especially in drug courts, where they say addicts often turn their lives around. They also said it was too soft on crime, especially when considering the potency of small amounts fentanyl and carfentanil.

Ohio voters defeat Issue 1 on drug crimes

It's the parent-addicts who are more of a problem.

The opioid epidemic is putting more and more children into Ohio's foster care system, and costs to the system will increase by more than two-thirds in 2018
IMO what it would have done is make drug use a medical problem other than a government one. Why should taxpayers foot the bill for incarceration when rehab would be a cheaper and better option? And all the parole officers, drug tests, and so on? We've been doing this war on drugs thing since the 80's.

It's not working. Why not treat drug addicts the way we do alcoholics?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
IMO what it would have done is make drug use a medical problem other than a government one. Why should taxpayers foot the bill for incarceration when rehab would be a cheaper and better option? And all the parole officers, drug tests, and so on? We've been doing this war on drugs thing since the 80's.

It's not working. Why not treat drug addicts the way we do alcoholics?
Totally agree, the problem is drugs are illegal and alcohol isnt. Thats the crux of the problem. You can go out and get blind drunk and carry as much alcohol as you can on your person and its ok. Go out with a needle with a trace of heroin in it and you are a criminal. None of these bills/laws will technically work unless drugs are decriminalized. Thats where we stand until something changes.